Testing the waters, opinions needed

floridabob

Dec 13, 2002
I have been a member of this forum for a few years and will be retiring to the DR. I'll soon be leaving my highly stressful job to just hang out for a while. Profits from the sale of my Florida condo is what's going to allow me to retire to the DR. While I wait for the price to reach the mark I've set (probably within a year), I'm thinking about going down there for a while and hanging out. Since I'm a computer professional I've already had several people tell me that I shouldn't have any trouble finding work if I want it. Although it's not my intention to work anything close to full-time, I would like to know if there are any small businesses, etc. that would need a honest, capable, professional to take care of their computer/networking needs. I would like to build up a small customer base and maybe make just enough to pay for apartment rent until I make the permanent move. Any replies are appreciated.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
floridabob said:
I've already had several people tell me that I shouldn't have any trouble finding work if I want it.

I assume your fluent in Spanish and those people live and own businesses here?

floridabob

Dec 13, 2002
Robert,
No, not fluent in Spanish. Was talking about ex-pats and english speaking Dominicans I've spoken to. As I said, I've no aspirations of working full time, just thought there might be some ex-pat businesses who may need my assistance every once in a while.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
floridabob said:
Robert,
No, not fluent in Spanish. Was talking about ex-pats and english speaking Dominicans I've spoken to. As I said, I've no aspirations of working full time, just thought there might be some ex-pat businesses who may need my assistance every once in a while.

That being the case. I would look at any potential income from working as a real bonus. I have seen many people come and go that thought they could make a few pesos from looking after the odd expat PC or network.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Dominicans Always tell you what you want to Hear!!!

Over the years we have seen dozens of posts by optimistic job seekers like you.They go something like this:( I am a teacher,secretary,computer person,nurse,bar tender,personal trainer,etc.,etc. I have spoken to lots of Dominicans,and they say that someone with my "skills" will have no problem finding a good job in the DR!)
Bless their hearts! If it wasn't for their optimism,Dominicans would have nothing!
Never mind that you don't speak Spanish(Dominican Spanish!),or have never been to the DR!
Jobs in the service industry,bartender,tour guide,pay 100-200 dollars a month,maybe!
A "Real Job" pays a little more,but why hire you,when there are actually some Dominicans who know how to use computers,and they speak the language!
Best advice,come on down,but don't expect to support yourself,or even earn some "Pin Money" by working here!
Most of those who come,and then leave,do so for lack of funds,or because they don't realize the "conditions" here.
You are basically on your own here! If you are not "Street Smart",you WILL be eaten alive by sharks,both foreign and domestic!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCc :smoke:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You might want to test the waters

Come on down, go around to the Free Zone factories and see if they have need for your services. Those are the only ones that will be able to use them, since English is the dominant language in the Free Zones.

What the heck, you'll meet a few people and maybe make some freinds and just maybe, you'll find a part time consultant's job.

Give it a try: Nothing ventured.....

HB

Last edited:

Thebes

Jun 18, 2004
Depending upon your skills you might consider working online. Several websites broker the services of script writers, for example.

frank alvarez

Apr 13, 2004
Good Advice

Hillbilly said:
Come on down, go around to the Free Zone factories and see if they have need for your services. Those are the only ones that will be able to use them, since English is the dominant language in the Free Zones.

What the heck, you'll meet a few people and mabe make some freinds and just maybe, you'll find a part time consultant's job.

Give it a try: Nothing ventured.....HB

This is good advice. I am a Dominican who came back in 95 (after 30 years in the states and a good background and experience in management/administration) and tried and tried to find a job and could not until I went to the Free Zones. I immediately got a job at a factory assisting the owner and doing Customer Service, mainly taking care of the American textile manufacturers (earning a so-so salary in pesos). After 3.5 years I was employed by one of those manufacturers and am now in my 3rd year earning good old greenbacks at a pretty decent level for the DR. Look around the Free Zones (Puerto Plata/Santiago--several/La Vega/Santo Domingo--several/San Pedro de Macoris/La Romana, etc.)

Good Luck!