holidaying in dr

singer

Jun 1, 2004
hi all, i am from scotland, and myself ,wife and kid are going to sosua in july .
is the casa marina beach hotel nice and is the area around it nice , where is the best places to go , if any 1 can help it would be much appreciatted . thank u so much

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I realize you are a Scot but

if you would just look up the page and see "Search" And type in Sosua tour or Sosua restaurants, you would be amazed at what you will find.

And- this is free- Eddy's Sports bar is just down the road so you can watch footbal, rugby and whatever sports, maybe even the Highland Games, or the Open!

HB

singer

Jun 1, 2004
thank u

Hillbilly said:
if you would just look up the page and see "Search" And type in Sosua tour or Sosua restaurants, you would be amazed at what you will find.

And- this is free- Eddy's Sports bar is just down the road so you can watch footbal, rugby and whatever sports, maybe even the Highland Games, or the Open!

HB
thanks for your help ,i am new to the internet and was lookin for some info from people in the know.it is much appreciatted .

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
What specific info are you interested in? I live in Sosua and would be happy to recommend anything you may be interested in. Casa Marina is in a decent location and a few block walk to most things in Sosua. It would be on the lower end of the scale like 2 star out of 5 stars but people enjoy the place.

Scott

kymbillie

Jan 30, 2004
Hi,
The hotel you are staying at is Amazing, It caters for all the family, the food is great and the animation staff keep you constantly entertained. You will never need to leave the hotel. Everything is done amazingly quickly, indeed there is "dominican Time" which is a great characteristic of the DR but this wont be apparent in the hotel. The service is PURE QUALITY!!! Ive been twice with Family and friends, and we all had an amazing time!!!!

BUT!!!!! It is worth escaping your hotel, just a short walk down the road is Sosua Beach it is just beautiful and really safe aswell. Outside the hotel its a different world, The people are so lovely. little cosy shops and trendy bars. The out back safari is worth going on. you get to see a bit of the countryside along with having a fun day out. There is poverty in the DR and this will come apparent when outside the hotel though it is worth opening your eyes to this, as its such a contrast to our material lifestyles and makes you thankfully for the really important things inlife, your family and friends. The whole Island is perfectly Charming, Your All inclusive hotel will keep you entertained for the whole holiday but dont let this stop you from exploring the real dominican!

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
Hi Singer!

How old is your child? I would highly recommend the horseback riding on the beach if he or she is old enough. Gypsy Ranch has lovely horses and is located between here and Cabarete.

Speaking of which... you must spend at least one day in Cabarete... dinner on the beach, under the stars and palms, surf pounding in, is magnificent.

There's a fun go-kart track near Puerto Plata and a water slide just west of Sosua.

Also, I highly recommend Rocky's... for the food, music, and people-- if you spend a little time there you'll stumble into several DR1ers who will be delighted to offer suggestions. Many drop by in the morning for a good Western style breakfast, so don't be shy... just ask.

Actually, if you let people know ahead of time when you arrive, there'll definitely be a few happy to meet up with you to sit and discuss your preferences.

And, finally, if it happens that you're in town by July 3rd, even better. We're getting together on the Sat eve, so you can meet a couple dozen in one swoop.

Have a great trip, and hope to say 'hi' in Sosua.

Red_Girl

Mar 5, 2004
I actually stayed at the small hotel next door, Sosua by the Sea, but I am going in a week or so and staying at Casa Marina this time. I walked around Casa Marina last time and it looked pretty nice - three pools, tons of bars, nice beach...you'll like it. As for getting off the resort, you should definitely try to do something different. Try Mel Tours across the street - he's got some great tours and they are a lot cheaper than the tours offered inside the hotel. I don't know how old your child is, but I'm sure that Mel can recommend something appropriate. How long will you be staying? I'll be there with some friends from the 12th to the 19th, if you want someone to hang out with (I might even watch your child once or twice for you - I love kids). Also, you should pop into Taino Bar - it's right across the street, and it has a nice atmosphere for a beer or (cheap and delicious) pizza. Have a great trip!

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
Red_Girl said:
I actually stayed at the small hotel next door, Sosua by the Sea, but I am going in a week or so and staying at Casa Marina this time. I walked around Casa Marina last time and it looked pretty nice - three pools, tons of bars, nice beach...you'll like it. As for getting off the resort, you should definitely try to do something different. Try Mel Tours across the street - he's got some great tours and they are a lot cheaper than the tours offered inside the hotel. I don't know how old your child is, but I'm sure that Mel can recommend something appropriate. How long will you be staying? I'll be there with some friends from the 12th to the 19th, if you want someone to hang out with (I might even watch your child once or twice for you - I love kids). Also, you should pop into Taino Bar - it's right across the street, and it has a nice atmosphere for a beer or (cheap and delicious) pizza. Have a great trip!
Inever ate there, how is their pizza?

Red_Girl

Mar 5, 2004
Jimmydr said:
Inever ate there, how is their pizza?

Actually, their pizza is delicious. It's cheap, too - if I remember correctly, it came out to about $2.50 US for a large pizza that was plenty for three for lunch or four for a snack. I saw other people eating burgers and fries, and that looked good as well. I really like that little bar. They're friendly and beer is cold! :)