Specific deals on the north coast

Bok

Mar 13, 2004
My sister is planning a visit to the island in February. She'll be travelling with hubby, her 3 year old daughter and 6 months old TBD.

Everything looks and sounds so nice in the travel catalogue so she asked me to find out what I could about the following hotels and I knew the good people on DR1 will give me the insight necessary to advice her best.

-Hotel Sosua Bay
-Hotel Azzuro Club Cabarete
-Hotel Villa Taina
-Hotel Coral Marien
-Hotel Fun Tropicale Beach Resort
-Hotel Villa Doradas Beach Resort
-Hotel Dorada Club Resort

Thanks,
Bok

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
Bok said:
My sister is planning a visit to the island in February. She'll be travelling with hubby, her 3 year old daughter and 6 months old TBD.

Everything looks and sounds so nice in the travel catalogue so she asked me to find out what I could about the following hotels and I knew the good people on DR1 will give me the insight necessary to advice her best.

-Hotel Villa Taina

Thanks,
Bok

On the beach in Caberete, NICE!

marina

Jan 2, 2002
www.kitexcite.com
where she stays depends on what kind of holiday she wants. Puerto Plata, Sosua and Cabarete have very different environments and obviously all inclusives have their positives/negatives over staying at a boutique hotel.

write more about the type of holiday and atmosphere she wants and people should be able to help you better:)

Bok

Mar 13, 2004
Good point Marina,

Of course she wants the Caribbean experience with the scenic beach and picturesque living environment. A clean place with good food and nice activities for my 3 year old niece. No hassle with staff/vendors/locals.

I'll be taking them on a trip around the island, stopping by in SD and my house for a couple of days in the middle of their 2 week stay.

If it's an AI or not doesn't really matter as long as it's good.

Thanks again,
Bok

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
It's not the most fancy place on your list

But our experience with our grandkids at Club Dorado has been very good.
Especially for the kids. The staff is excellent with them.

Coral Marien is the top hotel on the list.

Of course the Blue House at Punta Ruc?a will be open for you to use....

HB

Let ignorance be shown: What is TBD??

baileyboy

Jun 27, 2004
hilton

Bok said:

-Hotel Sosua Bay
-Hotel Azzuro Club Cabarete
-Hotel Villa Taina
-Hotel Coral Marien
-Hotel Fun Tropicale Beach Resort
-Hotel Villa Doradas Beach Resort
-Hotel Dorada Club Resort

Thanks,
Bok

I prefer the Coral Marien. It has a great Kids Club, and they staff there aer wonderful with the kids, all the kids love Andrea and Judi. And it's reasonably priced, and close to Cabarete and Sousa if you want to spend a day there.

Bok

Mar 13, 2004
Thanks Hb

TBD = to be determined

She's set to give birth in 6 weeks, and during the scheduled checks at the doctor she has made a point about not knowing if it would be a boy or a girl.

Cheers,
Bok

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Hi Bok,

Greetings from Atlantic Canada.

-Hotel Sosua Bay (4* - 4+*)
New Starz AI Resort right on Playa Sosua; get excellent reviews but it is built up so if stairs are an issue for parents and children it may not be ideal. If Non-AI is preferred the sister hotel on the same property, Victorian House, is a non-AI Boutique Hotel. Transfers to and priviliges at Azzurro Club Cabarete or Azzurro Club Estrella in Cabarete included. www.strazresorts.com

-Hotel Azzuro Club Cabarete (3.5* - 4*)
Fairly new Starz AI Resort on the west end of Cabarete Beach (with it's sister next door, the newly renovated Azzurro Club Estrella) is marketed to a younger crowd to pick up on the cabarete party atmosphere theme. Transfers to and priviliges at Sosua Bay Hotel included. www.starzresorts.com

-Hotel Villa Taina (3* - 3.5*)
Non-AI (breakfast included) beside Azzurro in Cabarete. Perhaps the best (and one of the most expensive) non-AIs on the North Coast. Ideal location, modern fascilities and friendly staff. www.villataina.com

-Hotel Coral Marien (4.5*)
Ralatively new AI in Costa Dorada with all the bells and whistles. Nothing bad to say here except avoid the pain in the a$$ Vacation Club Sales People. www.coralbyhilton.com/Marien/index.htm

Hotel Fun Tropicale Beach Resort and Hotel Villa Doradas Beach Resort and Hotel Dorada Club Resort (all 3* - 3.5*)
I am not a big fan of Playa Dorada as I don't like the shut-in feeling it gives me. Having said that Fun Royale in particular has a loyal base of return guests who rave about the resort. It would be my choice of these ones in Playa Dorada. www.funroyale-tropicale.com www.hotetur.com/Hotetur/detallehote...ltos=1&CantidadNiños=0&NombreHotel=RDVDORADAS www.hotetur.com/Hotetur/detallehote...dultos=1&CantidadNiños=0&NombreHotel=RDDORADO

However, IMHO, the best resorts on the North Coast are the Iberostar Costa Dorada www.iberostar.com/iberostar/hotel.asp?idi=en&hot=30&carp=CostaDorada in Costa Dorada (beside the Coral Marien) and any of the Riu resorts www.riu.com (Riu Mambo, Riu Merengue and Riu Bachata (4* - 4.5*)) in Maimon, 9 km. west of Puerto Plata.

Have fun.

Gregg

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Hey there BOK

orel Merien seems to get the most thumbs up from people I meet here on holiday! Other great advantage is that (as you know) Playa Dorada golf course is just down the road! YOU & I could get out for a game (With the OLD man from Santiago) whilst family members have their OWN get together!!

If they are into SEA food, just along the road from Coral Merien is the El Manguito restaurant. Basic decor but WONDERFUL food!! Hope you can get up this weekend too!! - Grahame.

Bok

Mar 13, 2004
Hi Grahame

I talked to the OLD man from Santiago earlier today and unfortunately Pib and I have to take a rain check on the trip north this coming weekend. (would have been nice with a round in Dorada and Playa Grande though). We're brushing off the last details in the apartment we're subleasing on Monday. I'll be sure to bring my clubs when I go see the family in whatever hotel they choose. Thanks for the info.

@ Gregg, thanks for the info and the links. They'll come in handy. Sounds like you know your way around the north coast.

Cheers,
Bok