Red Sox Raise 200G's For Flood Victims!!!

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
The Boston Red Sox, raised over US $200,000 (a little over 9 million pesos) for victims of the flooding las month. As per the New York Post, Red Sox owner donated US$ 100,000 of his own money, the fans contributed with US$ 31,000 and the rest was raised by all the players and from corporate donations. A very nice gesture by The Sox management!!!

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
miguel said:
A very nice gesture by The Sox management!!!

I agree. It would be nice to see more of that from sports franchises. It would be nice to see more philantropic athletes too with all the money they are making these days.

Larry

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
But!!

I was a little surprised that all the players only managed to put together a little more than 31,000. Maybe they helped in their own ways and behind the scenes but who knows. Nice gesture, nonetheless.

quejeyoke

Jun 20, 2004
good deed,...BUT!

I really hope that the U$200,000 that were raised get taken to DR personally and distributed accordingly by some of the people that helped raise it. You just can't trust dominicans with a lot of money in their hands and no system of accountability whatsoever, which the whole country needs to implement 'like yesterday', not in the future, from the Palacio Nacional on down. I've been trying to recall where I read that some of the military personnel that was sent in to help distribute the medicine that was donated to the victims are actually bagging quite a bit of it and I just know it's not to bring back and stock the shelves of the SD hospitals that need it most. If this monetary contribution just gets handed to the sharks in DR, somebody is going to have plenty of newly found stranger best friends in the DR. I hope someone don't let that happen, but like Trujillo said once "el burro no come bicocho". (donkeys don't eat cake)