Chulitos

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
I have become a chulito freak. I can not get enough of them while I am in the DR. They are addictive.

I have a great recipe from Aunt Clara?s Kitchen but I am having a difficult time finding prepared ground cassava. Any suggestions?

Charlie

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
True!

chuckuindy said:
I have become a chulito freak. I can not get enough of them while I am in the DR. They are addictive.

I have a great recipe from Aunt Clara’s Kitchen but I am having a difficult time finding prepared ground cassava. Any suggestions?

Charlie
Yes they are. I remember a few years back when all I wanted to eat was those darn "chulitos", as if I was pregnant. Morning, afternoon and night, I needed to have my "fix" of "chulitos". They were my "drugs" of choice, :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: .

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Try using "tapioca powder/flour".

Apparently it's the same stuff by a "North American" name.
I use it to prepare some of the vegan stuff for the special cardiac diet my cardiologist has me eating.

:knockedou

Last edited:

Doodoo

Jun 1, 2004
Yummy

Please excuse the interuption, but would somebody tell me what "Chulito's" are. Everyone rants and raves about them. They must be good. I really must try them when I return to the DR :cheeky:

Doodoo

Jun 1, 2004
Thank you, they certainly look delicious. must try them when I am in DR in October

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
MommC said:
Apparently it's the same stuff by a "North American" name.
:knockedou
It will be close, but, no cigar. Grated yucca has a different 'texture'. That's what makes chulitos so good... plus the spicy meat.

Ah, where is Do?a Dinorah, the owner of my childhood neighborhood fritura now? :disappoin

chuckuindy , you don't need to buy grated yucca, do as everybody does, buy yucca and a grater.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Guess I should have checked out chulitos before I posted!

Pib said:
It will be close, but, no cigar. Grated yucca has a different 'texture'. That's what makes chulitos so good... plus the spicy meat.

Ah, where is Do?a Dinorah, the owner of my childhood neighborhood fritura now? :disappoin

chuckuindy , you don't need to buy grated yucca, do as everybody does, buy yucca and a grater.
;) I was thinking more along the lines of the empanadas......or where you make a pastry or breading/batter from a flourlike substance.......
oh well....that's why we have Aunt Clara around to correct our follies!

timelessdreams

Apr 5, 2004
If my memory serves me right, I expereinced my very first 'Chulito' @ Six Flags Great Adventure in Jackson NJ in or about 1981. (Mega Amuzememt Theme Park)

It was a long (about 12") twisted pastry fried in oil and doused in cinnamon.
(tasted like a cross between a doughnut and a zepole) I think this was considered a 'Mexican' treat, however.

Delicious just the same!

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Tryed

MommC said:
;) I was thinking more along the lines of the empanadas......or where you make a pastry or breading/batter from a flourlike substance.......
oh well....that's why we have Aunt Clara around to correct our follies!

I have tryed several variations on the batter and breading. Flour, crushed crackers, prepared breading mixes and even KFC breading mix. None give it the desired taste.

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Nope

timelessdreams said:
If my memory serves me right, I expereinced my very first 'Chulito' @ Six Flags Great Adventure in Jackson NJ in or about 1981. (Mega Amuzememt Theme Park)

It was a long (about 12") twisted pastry fried in oil and doused in cinnamon.
(tasted like a cross between a doughnut and a zepole) I think this was considered a 'Mexican' treat, however.

Delicious just the same!

Not the same thing. They are meat filled.

Indie

Bronze
Nov 15, 2002
timelessdreams...

timelessdreams said:
...It was a long (about 12") twisted pastry fried in oil and doused in cinnamon. (tasted like a cross between a doughnut and a zepole) I think this was considered a 'Mexican' treat, however...
Those are Churros. Chulitos are made with yucca and aren't sweet.

-Indie

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
if im not mistaken...chulitos are sorta like brazilian COXINHA. either cassava or potato mixture...with various meat fillings.

<sigh> i used to have this little brazilian bodega near my place and used to get those every day

mullinsca

Sep 10, 2003
chuckuindy said:

I have a great recipe from Aunt Clara?s Kitchen but I am having a difficult time finding prepared ground cassava. Any suggestions?

Charlie
Its simple cassava is yuca root ,peel and boil like potatoes.Then you can mash it and form it and deep fry it yumyum

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Thank you thank you

mullinsca said:
Its simple cassava is yuca root ,peel and boil like potatoes.Then you can mash it and form it and deep fry it yumyum

For some reason I thought it was the the plant rather than the root. Now to find some yuca root in Indianapolis.