Will pay for advance person to help me.

starbay

Dec 1, 2003
www.rumcay.com
Need advance person to help me.

I will pay a reasonable fee for a reliable person who will do all the leg work and find me everything I will need to make the move. My monthly budget is USD $1500.00 including food. I need:

Sousa Area
Furnished A/C - secure apartment without being in a noisy neighborhood.
Electrical Backup
Internet
Scooter (Additional cost)
TV?Satellite or best solution (Additional cost)
Housekeeper (Coming highly recommended)
Cellphone (Additional cost)

and any other item that I have missed but will need. If I am off the mark for my monthly budget, please tell me. I would also consider living in a nice small hotel that can offer the same emenities.

Thanks for any help in finding a HIGHLY knowledgable english speaking person to do this leg work. I would be down the 1st of September, so we have time.

Last edited:

brigitte

May 14, 2004
You don't have to pay....

take a look: http://dominican-vacation.xc2.de/

starbay said:
I will pay USD $2K for a reliable person who will do all the leg work and find me everything I will need to make the move. My monthly budget is USD $1500.00 including food. I need:

Sousa Area
Furnished A/C - secure apartment without being in a noisy neighborhood.
Electrical Backup
Internet
Scooter (Additional cost)
TV?Satellite or best solution (Additional cost)
Housekeeper (Coming highly recommended)
Cellphone (Additional cost)

and any other item that I have missed but will need. If I am off the mark for my monthly budget, please tell me. I would also consider living in a nice small hotel that can offer the same emenities.

Thanks for any help in finding a HIGHLY knowledgable english speaking person to do this leg work. I would be down the 1st of September, so we have time.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Starbay, there are several people on here that would provide the info you are looking for and make a few inquiries for you purely out of a gesture of friendship. Don't go offering money like that because you will only attract e-mails and pm's from users and theives. Spend a little time on here and I am confident you will get everything squared away for yourself and make some good friends in the process. The main thing is to make sure you get the apartment you are looking for squared away. The other things could be handled soon after your arrival IMO.

PS--I do think you can live on the budget you proposed.

Larry

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
I Agree!!

Having recently completed (somewhat completed) my move to DR. I have learned not to call much attention to the fact that one is not as informed about the DR. It is a "completely" different culture and thieves are a dime for THREE dozen. My number advice to you would be to first get a good, honest attorney to do title searches. Many people will rent you a place which they DO NOT own.
TEHAMA

starbay

Dec 1, 2003
www.rumcay.com
Thanks for the Warning and suggestion

I will take your advise and seek a regular poster that seems to be "connected."

Last edited:

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
TEHAMA said:
My number advice to you would be to first get a good, honest attorney to do title searches. Many people will rent you a place which they DO NOT own.
TEHAMA

I disagree. You are looking fo rent a place, not buy one. Why waste money on an attorney? Make some friends on here, ask around and see if you can find a place that suits you. None of the regular posters will lead you in the wrong direction.

Larry

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Sosua?

Well okay...I won't ask. So you don't speak Spanish...okay...lots of folks in Sosua speak English. There are tons of Apartments in Sosua. You go there and stay in a hotel for a week. During that week you walk and talk....walk and talk. You will meet many people and you will eventually find the apartment you desire. But you gotta be street smart. You take a pen and notebook and when the owner says something you write it down....for example...he says..."yes, there is no commission or yes, the water is included"...you write all that down. And by the way the deposit is negotiable if you approach it correctly. You will know if he/she is the owner. You can ask others in the building before you hand over any money. Check the electric meter....does it look like others could hotwire your electric...steal. Ask the other tenents everything...water...electric...trash....gas...backup generator...who cleans....is it loud....etc...

So you have everything written down and you know exactly what it is gonna cost because you went over everything with the owner. That way he can't come back later and say..."oh yea...you need to pay 2000 pesos for the contract". Don't make anything easy for these people...because if they sense you go along easy they will try to get you for a little more and a little more until you start getting upset. And be willing to walk away. There are so many apartments in Sosua you should have plenty of good choices. I often tell them...if you don't change this I'm walking...and they often do what I want...but you gotta be willing to walk.

Be sure you understand everything before you pay money. The deposit here is a scam. They want you to put down USD 1000 and you may never get it back. So be sure you are where you want to be for a long time.

Best of luck...you will need it. Give them a tiny opening and they will steal your underwear.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Best advice...

Snuffy said:
There are tons of Apartments in Sosua. You go there and stay in a hotel for a week. During that week you walk and talk....walk and talk. You will meet many people and you will eventually find the apartment you desire.

That is absolutely the best advice.
One week and you will have it all resolved, the way you like it, no bad surprises, no rip-offs.
Seeing is believing and you can always negotiate a better deal in person.
As someone said above, those of us who live here are glad to help for free.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
For US$2000 I?ll give you access to the largest pool of knowledge in the Dominican Republic.
But if you ask really nicely, we will let you use it for free? It?s called DR1 ;)

You will get all the help you need on this message board, as Larry says, you do not need to throw your money around, you will just attract leeches.

Read this board, it has a massive amount of information on living in Sosua, more than most people can digest. We have some very knowledgeable posters that live and work in Sousa.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Absolutely right!

You wouldn't be happy with someone else doing all the legwork, anyway. How can they know your wishes, your standards etc? Paying for services like that has you signalled as an easy target. As the others say, seek advice & opinions, come down, do your own legwork, you will learn so much & you will establish yourself as someone who cannot be taken for a ride. And that is worth far more to you, in the long term, than 2K.....AND you won't have had to pay it out, anyway!
Good luck to you, & I hope you'll be very happy in your new country.

Wales

English Twit!
May 21, 2004
Help

Lambada said:
You wouldn't be happy with someone else doing all the legwork, anyway. How can they know your wishes, your standards etc? Paying for services like that has you signalled as an easy target. As the others say, seek advice & opinions, come down, do your own legwork, you will learn so much & you will establish yourself as someone who cannot be taken for a ride. And that is worth far more to you, in the long term, than 2K.....AND you won't have had to pay it out, anyway!
Good luck to you, & I hope you'll be very happy in your new country.

Marjorie, for once " well said "

JonX

Jul 1, 2004
Larry said:
Starbay, there are several people on here that would provide the info you are looking for and make a few inquiries for you purely out of a gesture of friendship. Don't go offering money like that because you will only attract e-mails and pm's from users and theives. Spend a little time on here and I am confident you will get everything squared away for yourself and make some good friends in the process. The main thing is to make sure you get the apartment you are looking for squared away. The other things could be handled soon after your arrival IMO.

PS--I do think you can live on the budget you proposed.

Larry

I dont think its nice to call anyone a thief if he proposed the offer!
If he wants X thing and someone can get X thing for him than why not?
Now if he can X thing on his own for cheaper thats his problem. That doesnt give you the right to make such a generalized comment.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
He didn't say that....

JonX said:
If he wants X thing and someone can get X thing for him than why not?
Now if he can X thing on his own for cheaper thats his problem. That doesnt give you the right to make such a generalized comment.

He quite rightly pointed that making such an offer will attract people who have no intention of helping at all (aka thieves) and such thieves will go for the $2000 because this fellow proposed that amount up front. Nothing assures the OP that "someone can get the X thing" as you put it for him. More like the "O" thing, zip, nada.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Larry's rights?

JonX said:
I know some people are always trying to read between the lines, but this goes way beyond.
Larry didn't even remotely call or insinuate that anybody accepting the offer was a thief. He merely suggests, and a good suggestion it is, that this type of offer attracts thieves.

JonX said:
That doesnt give you the right to make such a generalized comment.
If Larry doesn't have the right to make "such a generalized statement". what gives you the right to make your comments?

Larry is a valued member of this board and always has interesting and humourous things to say. He is also accurate, helpful and an American citizen, born in a country with freedom of speech.

Your own comments are based on a distorted perception of what was said and you make a feeble attempt at manipulating his words into some other meaning.

I think it's time for you to back off and allow those who are "in the know' to assist the OP with his question.

santanatwins

Jan 20, 2004
My two pesos worth

I use to spend alot of time in sosua and I recommend you stay at Hotel Europe for a week or two. Rent a moped out and just drive around town and look for signs that say "for Rent". Ask the caretaker and neighbors general questions and you'll be surprised how much you can learn about the area. Also, some of the numbers posted on the signs are for real estates/lawyers who are handling the rental and they my be able to show you other apartments not being advertised to the public. That's how I was able to find my apartment.

All the other things you mentioned can be dealt with after you have your place.

Someplaces charge you a fee for using the Inverters. But if you plan on staying for a while, it might be worth buying your own inverter and having it installed. You should be able to to pick up a used moped in descent condition from one of the repair shops on the main strip in Charamico.

I recommend you buy a used sprint/verizon phone from your present location and just have it activated with a local number once you get here. I think it only cost $5 dollars to get a number. Prepaid cards can be purchased at any local store or traffic corner.

It cost me around $2000 to get the basics for an apartment. Master bedroom set, frieg, stove, dining room set, living room set, gas tank, spare bed for my younger son, washing machine and TV. You should also alocate around $300 for basic kitchen and bath items.

As you can tell from previous post, the electric companies are extortionist so be prepared to watch your usage. And when appling for intial service, tell them you have 2 lightbulbs, 1 frieg and a tv. That's IT!!!!!!!!!! or else they we'll require a large deposit that you will never see again.

If I can get by on $500 a month with a family of 3, then you should definately be able to get by on $1500. Minus an air conditioner. I use fans and would probably have a heart attack from an electric bill that had AC.

Any other questions.......use the Search function on this board. It will answer all your smaller questions. :glasses:

Last edited:

starbay

Dec 1, 2003
www.rumcay.com
Whoa troops, didn't mean to start a revolution!

I thank everyone on DR1 for their input which makes it easier to make my decision. I appreciate the "old timers" (not age) in making me aware of what I could be in for. I wish the moderator would remove the Money reference in my original title, and just say: "looking for advance person."

I am doing due diligence with this move and DR1 has been a major source of information and great advise. I thank You!

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Editing

starbay said:
I wish the moderator would remove the Money reference in my original title, and just say: "looking for advance person."
I believe you can edit it yourself with the "edit" button below.

starbay

Dec 1, 2003
www.rumcay.com
That is why I was hoping to get a person to help me.

Snuffy said:
Well okay...I won't ask. So you don't speak Spanish...okay...lots of folks in Sosua speak English. There are tons of Apartments in Sosua. You go there and stay in a hotel for a week. During that week you walk and talk....walk and talk. You will meet many people and you will eventually find the apartment you desire. But you gotta be street smart. You take a pen and notebook and when the owner says something you write it down....for example...he says..."yes, there is no commission or yes, the water is included"...you write all that down. And by the way the deposit is negotiable if you approach it correctly. You will know if he/she is the owner. You can ask others in the building before you hand over any money. Check the electric meter....does it look like others could hotwire your electric...steal. Ask the other tenents everything...water...electric...trash....gas...backup generator...who cleans....is it loud....etc...

So you have everything written down and you know exactly what it is gonna cost because you went over everything with the owner. That way he can't come back later and say..."oh yea...you need to pay 2000 pesos for the contract". Don't make anything easy for these people...because if they sense you go along easy they will try to get you for a little more and a little more until you start getting upset. And be willing to walk away. There are so many apartments in Sosua you should have plenty of good choices. I often tell them...if you don't change this I'm walking...and they often do what I want...but you gotta be willing to walk.

Be sure you understand everything before you pay money. The deposit here is a scam. They want you to put down USD 1000 and you may never get it back. So be sure you are where you want to be for a long time.

Best of luck...you will need it. Give them a tiny opening and they will steal your underwear.
Starbay
If I had a Spanish and English speaking person that knew the 'ropes', and would go around with me to make sure I wasn't getting 'ripped' off, I would be grateful in many ways.