Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Need advance person to help me.

I will pay a reasonable fee for a reliable person who will do all the leg work and find me everything I will need to make the move. My monthly budget is USD $1500.00 including food. I need:

Sousa Area
    Furnished A/C - secure apartment without being in a noisy neighborhood.
    Electrical Backup
    Internet
    Scooter (Additional cost)
    TV?Satellite or best solution (Additional cost)
    Housekeeper (Coming highly recommended)
    Cellphone (Additional cost)

and any other item that I have missed but will need. If I am off the mark for my monthly budget, please tell me. I would also consider living in a nice small hotel that can offer the same emenities.

Thanks for any help in finding a HIGHLY knowledgable english speaking person to do this leg work. I would be down the 1st of September, so we have time.
    Last edited by starbay; 07-01-2004 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Removing reference to $$

Post Thanks / Like

Default You don't have to pay....

take a look: http://dominican-vacation.xc2.de/

Quote Originally Posted by starbay
    I will pay USD $2K for a reliable person who will do all the leg work and find me everything I will need to make the move. My monthly budget is USD $1500.00 including food. I need:

Sousa Area
    Furnished A/C - secure apartment without being in a noisy neighborhood.
    Electrical Backup
    Internet
    Scooter (Additional cost)
    TV?Satellite or best solution (Additional cost)
    Housekeeper (Coming highly recommended)
    Cellphone (Additional cost)

and any other item that I have missed but will need. If I am off the mark for my monthly budget, please tell me. I would also consider living in a nice small hotel that can offer the same emenities.

Thanks for any help in finding a HIGHLY knowledgable english speaking person to do this leg work. I would be down the 1st of September, so we have time.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Starbay, there are several people on here that would provide the info you are looking for and make a few inquiries for you purely out of a gesture of friendship. Don't go offering money like that because you will only attract e-mails and pm's from users and theives. Spend a little time on here and I am confident you will get everything squared away for yourself and make some good friends in the process. The main thing is to make sure you get the apartment you are looking for squared away. The other things could be handled soon after your arrival IMO.

PS--I do think you can live on the budget you proposed.

Larry

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I Agree!!

Having recently completed (somewhat completed) my move to DR. I have learned not to call much attention to the fact that one is not as informed about the DR. It is a "completely" different culture and thieves are a dime for THREE dozen. My number advice to you would be to first get a good, honest attorney to do title searches. Many people will rent you a place which they DO NOT own.
    TEHAMA

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Thanks for the Warning and suggestion

I will take your advise and seek a regular poster that seems to be "connected."
    Last edited by starbay; 07-01-2004 at 08:11 AM.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEHAMA
    My number advice to you would be to first get a good, honest attorney to do title searches. Many people will rent you a place which they DO NOT own.
    TEHAMA

I disagree. You are looking fo rent a place, not buy one. Why waste money on an attorney? Make some friends on here, ask around and see if you can find a place that suits you. None of the regular posters will lead you in the wrong direction.

Larry

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Thanks Larry

I will await further responses and hopefully find a quality person and make a good friend in the process.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sosua?

Well okay...I won't ask. So you don't speak Spanish...okay...lots of folks in Sosua speak English. There are tons of Apartments in Sosua. You go there and stay in a hotel for a week. During that week you walk and talk....walk and talk. You will meet many people and you will eventually find the apartment you desire. But you gotta be street smart. You take a pen and notebook and when the owner says something you write it down....for example...he says..."yes, there is no commission or yes, the water is included"...you write all that down. And by the way the deposit is negotiable if you approach it correctly. You will know if he/she is the owner. You can ask others in the building before you hand over any money. Check the electric meter....does it look like others could hotwire your electric...steal. Ask the other tenents everything...water...electric...trash....gas...backup generator...who cleans....is it loud....etc...

So you have everything written down and you know exactly what it is gonna cost because you went over everything with the owner. That way he can't come back later and say..."oh yea...you need to pay 2000 pesos for the contract". Don't make anything easy for these people...because if they sense you go along easy they will try to get you for a little more and a little more until you start getting upset. And be willing to walk away. There are so many apartments in Sosua you should have plenty of good choices. I often tell them...if you don't change this I'm walking...and they often do what I want...but you gotta be willing to walk.

Be sure you understand everything before you pay money. The deposit here is a scam. They want you to put down USD 1000 and you may never get it back. So be sure you are where you want to be for a long time.

Best of luck...you will need it. Give them a tiny opening and they will steal your underwear.

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Best advice...

Quote Originally Posted by Snuffy
    There are tons of Apartments in Sosua. You go there and stay in a hotel for a week. During that week you walk and talk....walk and talk. You will meet many people and you will eventually find the apartment you desire.
    That is absolutely the best advice.
    One week and you will have it all resolved, the way you like it, no bad surprises, no rip-offs.
    Seeing is believing and you can always negotiate a better deal in person.
    As someone said above, those of us who live here are glad to help for free.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

For US$2000 Iíll give you access to the largest pool of knowledge in the Dominican Republic.
    But if you ask really nicely, we will let you use it for freeÖ Itís called DR1

You will get all the help you need on this message board, as Larry says, you do not need to throw your money around, you will just attract leeches.

Read this board, it has a massive amount of information on living in Sosua, more than most people can digest. We have some very knowledgeable posters that live and work in Sousa.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast