How much money can I take with me abroad?

gerd

Jan 10, 2002
I dont want to get into trouble with customs.
Some say it is US$5000, some say US$10000.
Which is correct? I am talking about cash.
If I am travelling with a two year old, does this count as a person and I can take twice as much?

Thanks for your help!

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
gerd said:

If I am travelling with a two year old, does this count as a person and I can take twice as much?

Thanks for your help!

Put it in his diapers!

Why would you need $20K ?????

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Mira!!

gerd said:

Thanks for your help!
It's US $ 10,000. No, the child is a minor, for crying out loud!!. Why don't you transfer that money from your account from where you live to a bank in the DR. If you do not have a account in the DR, go to Western Union or any other transfer agencies/travel offices and transfer it to yourself from where you live and then pick them up when you get to the DR. My brother does that ALL the time and never has a problem. They got him once carrying more than what he should and not only that he missed his plane but you really do not want to know all the fines that he had to pay.

Ps: If you put it in the baby's diapers, you are up for a big surprise!.
Pss: Transfer agencies CAN NOT transfer more than US $ 10,000 but nobody says that you can not have someome else transfer you money also.

Last edited:

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Leaving the US the limit is $10k. (you can still carry more than this amount, but you have to declare it and be prepared for 20 questions).

Leaving the DR they say it is $5k USD, but if it is enforced, it is usually a dominicano customs guy saying to follow him to the mensroom, where he will "fix" things (for a fee of $100 usually). They don't push it if you are a tiger though.

And as a sidenote Jimmydr, whose business is it if anyone wants to carry as much cash as they want, if it's THEIR money???

(edited to delete my ranting :) )

Last edited:

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
GringoCArlos said:
And as a sidenote Jimmydr, whose business is it if anyone wants to carry as much cash as they want, if it's THEIR money??? Screw those so-called rules, and the peabrains that want to call somebody a terrorist or a drug dealer, just because they like to have some cash instead of a bunch of maxed-out credit cards in their pockets, or choose not to leave a paper trail from wiring money?

With ATMs you can take out 1,000's per day!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Gerd, are you talking about leaving the DR or somewhere else with a lot of cash?
Fairly recently I made a visit out of the DR carrying in excess of what you mention in cash in different currencies. No problem, including a change of planes in USA. Don't put it in your purse or wallet, at least not all. PM me if you want to know where I put it!

gerd

Jan 10, 2002
Lambada said:
Gerd, are you talking about leaving the DR or somewhere else with a lot of cash?
Fairly recently I made a visit out of the DR carrying in excess of what you mention in cash in different currencies. No problem, including a change of planes in USA. Don't put it in your purse or wallet, at least not all. PM me if you want to know where I put it!
Sorry, I meant leaving the DR with cash..
I know, it is no problem as long as you dont get checked, which almost never happens. But I dont want to risk anything.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
What!!!

gerd said:
I know, it is no problem as long as you dont get checked, which almost never happens. But I dont want to risk anything.
Sorry, but when was the last time you traveled?. I went to SD on June 17th and before I boarded the plane, 4 customs agents were asking, notebook in hand, EVERYBODY and scanning us and one told me, as a matter of fact, that there were searching mainly for those people trying to take money out of the US. Trust me, you can try and take more than what you are supposed but if they get you, you would pay 10 times more than if you just do it the right way.

Ps:Lambada, I don't even want to know where you put it, hehe!!!!!

Wales

English Twit!
May 21, 2004
Indecent

Lambada said:
Miguel,
Gerd is travelling out of DR.
I totally agree about U.S. - new TSA regulations now in force.
And it wasn't put anywhere indecent, I promise :)

Is there. Isn't it like Siberia, everybody knows where it is but no one wants to go there.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Rob,

I didn't respond to penultimate post because I didn't want him to go off into a whizz again, like he did last week. Seems like he did elsewhere, though, with absolutely no wind up from me. We're getting nearer the end of the week, there's a pattern, I think it is the "distillery expertise".
I wasn't certain if penultimate post was meant to be offensively funny, or funnily offensive. However, don't think I'll bother to sue him!! No real challenge there, & the ego is SOOO fragile.
And of course, how DID DR1 manage before he came along?
What a plonker, eh Rodney?

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
It's $10,000 per family. So if you have your wife and 15 kids with you, as the head of the family you are still limited to $10,000.

Of course you can declare any amount you would like. You could be carrying $500,000 in cash. There is no law against having cash.

I don't know if anyone has noticed but there is no place to declare how much your a carrying. One of my friends was carrying over $10k and declared it on the customs form. They brought him in another room and checked his passport. But they did not at anytime ask how much he was carrying. I don't know if that is SOP but I thought it was kind of strange.