Who are the Dancers at DR1?

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
I was going to add this to a post on another thread, but I thought it would be a good way to poll our DR1 community...

Dancing is such a common activity in DR, you do find women liking a man after seeing his dance moves (its supposed to show his 'abilities' in other arenas).

Since so many of us speak about music and so many of you live in the happy-a$$-dance-all-night DR, who can dance here? Who can 'throw down' dancing merengue, bachata and salsa?

tiitu

Jun 29, 2004
Me, Me, Me

:bunny:

My nro 1 reason for comming back to DR over and over again is to dance merengue. (Bachata and Salsa goes too.)

Tiitu

P.S. If you ever have seen Finnish men dance, you'll understand why I have to fly on the other side of the planet to dance :)

Tony Cabrera

Sep 24, 2002
I understand that nobody throw those steps like AZB, he'll take on anybody in
ahi bar "disco", he will do the Bachata better than any dominicans :bandit:

(That what's said)

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Me too...me too!!!

I LOVE to dance!!!
The Cubans here in Miami can dance a mean SALSA...but for the rest...when it comes to MERENGUE and BACHATA...I only like to dance with DOMINICANS!!! I usually lose 4 or 5 pounds on my trips...just from dancing!!! ;)

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
I can dance

I can dance Merengue and Bachata. But for some reason I always trip and fall when I attempt Salsa.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"I Usually Lose 4 Or 5 PoundsOn My Trips Just From Dancing!

I heard DR1ers from all over the globe spittin up their "Presidentes" when they read that "Music"!! Well if you mean the "Horizontal Boogie" I guess you could be right!! :rolleyes:

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Oche

Jan 6, 2004
Has any of you girls ever enjoyed dancing merengue with a non-dominican more than with a dominican?? reversed question goes to guys. Has anyone of you guys ever enjoyed dancing merengue with a non-dominican gal more than with a dominican gal??

tiitu

Jun 29, 2004
Oh, I just wish...

Musicqueen said:
I LOVE to dance!!!
The Cubans here in Miami can dance a mean SALSA...but for the rest...when it comes to MERENGUE and BACHATA...I only like to dance with DOMINICANS!!! I usually lose 4 or 5 pounds on my trips...just from dancing!!! ;)

I envy U, Musicqueen. We have here so little Cubans or Dominicans that the only way to get that diet you are talking about, is to buy a ticket to DR. And Criss, FYI, I'm not talking about horizontal mambo - even though I'm from Scandinavia.

tiitu

Jun 29, 2004
Oche said:
Has any of you girls ever enjoyed dancing merengue with a non-dominican more than with a dominican?? reversed question goes to guys. Has anyone of you guys ever enjoyed dancing merengue with a non-dominican gal more than with a dominican gal??

I have to admit, that I haven't found a better merengue dancer than Domininicans. But there is one problem though: It takes time, before they understand that I can't be sankified. Before that the dancing can be bit too "goal-directed". But when the message is clear, the dancing is pure joy.

lizzyjl80

Jun 16, 2004
Bachata is my passion

I challenge anyone to dance bachata. I dont understand how there are people that dont like it. Im 23 years old and I love to dance bachata with the old men that really know how to dance and arent afraid of a little sweat running down their face and down their shirts. So if anyone wants to lose a few pounds on the dance floor am your girl. LOL

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
A Mi Me Gusta!

Salsa, merengue, bachata, that's me!
I have been doing it for 10 years now and the virus just won't go away. We have a good latin dance scene here in Belgium with all styles of salsa, more and more bachata and less and less merengue nowadays.
Dancing was actually the primary reason of my first visit to the DR in 1995. I had a Dominican teacher here in Belgium teaching us the first steps of merengue, bachata and salsa, and with no plans for the holiday, I decided to take a last minute trip to POP.
Dominicanas really appreciate my dancing skills. They tell me I dance better bachata than most dominican men do.
As for Oche's question:
I have to admit that the best merengue 'magic' has happened with Dominican girls. Although I have to say that there is a lot of difference in dominican dancing skills, from 'heavenly' to 'rather poor'.
As for bachata, there are a couple of girls here in Belgium and France that come close to the dominican magic.
I am going back on the 16th for 3 weeks, more dancing and hopefully some nice live concerts!

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Musicqueen said:
I LOVE to dance!!!

That is so true! I should gain weight from all the eating and enjoying homemade dulces (my whole town knows how much I like sweets and I get one sent to my house daily when I'm there!) But actually I lose weight there. I can dance merengue, bachata y salsa all night long - I LOVE DANCING!

The best after dancing: Eating a pan de pierna outside the disco the next day!!

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
lizzyjl80 said:
I challenge anyone to dance bachata. I dont understand how there are people that dont like it. Im 23 years old and I love to dance bachata with the old men that really know how to dance and arent afraid of a little sweat running down their face and down their shirts. So if anyone wants to lose a few pounds on the dance floor am your girl. LOL

Lizzy, are you going to the NY reunion?? I wont challenge you, I guess we can share the floor...

Indie

Bronze
Nov 15, 2002
Glad you asked, Talldrink...

I'm an incredible dancer, and I can prove it. Everything from the Electric Boogie to the Monster Mash. Y'all wanna dance?

Oche, on dancing merengue: Nope. I enjoy it more with Dominicans. Something about the way they hold me.

-Indie
I smell a dance contest.

cherub

Jun 15, 2004
English Men Dancing?????

Have you ever seen an english man dance? Ha ha ha!

I love to merengue with a cute dominican man, although i'm not too good at it! (and i do not mean the horizontal mambo either!) :laugh:

Chareena

Apr 3, 2004
janssoncarina.blogspot.com
Tiitu

tiitu said:
:bunny:

P.S. If you ever have seen Finnish men dance, you'll understand why I have to fly on the other side of the planet to dance :)

I totally agree with you about Finnish men. The Dominicans are good dancers.

Btw, I thougt I was the only person from Finland on this board. Glad to see I'm not. Lol

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
I love Bachata, Merengue and Salsa! In Toronto I go out and dance the night away it really is a work out I love it!
But I must admit nobody dances Bachata like a Dominican no way!
I am a Bachata Freak as my friends call me lol!
On my last trip to the DR I had a blast, I danced every night all night I love it! As I danced with one guy I had other guys already asking me to dance with them next, oh how I love it more dance partners! I was the one telling them to keep on dancing, they couldn't believe how much energy I had :laugh: ! It's because I love it, love it, love it!!! I love the feeling when I leave the club with my legs and feet aching that's when I know I had a great night of dancing :laugh: !

gonzaga

Mar 19, 2002
Yes, Bachata, Salsa and Merengue (not so much). When I first learned to dance Merengue in the DR, (& took lessons aftrwards), I danced it so much that it's now the last on the list for me. But if you are a Merengue dancer with a lot of good dancing technique and not so boring to dance with, (dancing is suppose to be fun) then I will dance it.

If we the DR1's were all to get together, we would have one hectic party of
dancing. We would all be drunk from dancing. Ha, Ha.

My experience with Bachata dancing is that there are other latin, non-latin men out there who can really dance this dance amazing. I do believe that Dominicans can dance it well but they are not the only ones, I've also danced with Dominicans in the DR & Toronto that can't dance Bachata.

Dancing is all about feeling the music and the rythym and having so much fun.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Do you guys find that Dominicans dance salsa different than others? I learned to dance salsa more with Puerto Ricans (fewer steps), but I had to re-learn DR style... They do the whole 7 step (seamlessly, I may add).

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
Talldrink said:
Do you guys find that Dominicans dance salsa different than others? I learned to dance salsa more with Puerto Ricans (fewer steps), but I had to re-learn DR style... They do the whole 7 step (seamlessly, I may add).

Oh yes they definatly dance different, I noticed that on my first trip to the DR years ago. On my last trip I saw and danced with some really great Salsa dancers! It was oppostite steps of how I new how to dance Salsa so at first I was like what's going on but then I as alright. There is a lot of different ways to dance salsa so if you know one way I'm sure you can learn the others in no time.
I love dancing to fast Salsa songs, I don't really like slow songs, I must be crazy :laugh:
I am a Salsaholic and Bahata Freak and I wouldn't have it any other way! :D