Wedding dresses in DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Queya2

Jun 28, 2004
I'm getting married in DR next summer and was wondering if anyone knows about buying a wedding dress in DR (Santiago or Santo Domingo area). Would it be a good idea to buy it there or should I just bring it with me? I'm Dominican...so I travel to the island often and I have family in Santiago. . .I'll probably go there 2 or 3 times before the wedding.

Thanks!

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I really have no idea how much it could cost but there is a store on 27 de Febrero in Santo Domingo close to Abraham Lincoln if I'm not mistaken (?). It's the biggest store I've seen so far. There's a smaller one behind Supermercado Nacional on 27 de Febrero also on Ave. Mexico. If you go to www.paginasamarillas.com.do and search for novias or boda you'll get a pretty good listing with addresses and telefone numbers.

Sorry I can't be more specific...

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
There are several wedding boutiques on the island,however

depending on where you reside it would probably be cheaper to buy off-island.
We own a bridal boutique in Canada and have provided gowns for many island weddings (indeed we have sold outfits to brides being married in over 25 countries in our 32 yrs of business!).
We always check out what is available in countries we visit but to date have found the most inexpensive places to shop for wedding apparel is in Canada or the US.
Feel free to PM me if you have further questions!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My wife and I were married 9 years ago in Santo Domingo

And we are still married 3 kids later,despite ignoring "Hillbill's Rules For Marrying Dominicans"
Anyhow,the point IS,she and her sister,both rented beautiful dresses!( The Wedding Dress was less than $100 US!) And I mean"like New", perfect fit(included alterations") very fancy dress with a train,vail,and all.My eyes filled with tears as she arrived at the hotel patio(45 minutes late of course)and then again when I got the Bar Bill!
I imagine that this option is still available!
CrisColon

Jerry K

Jan 1, 2002
Renting a wedding dress

I know there are a couple places to rent wedding dresses in Santiago.
Like Chris stated, helva deal for beautiful styles that can't told from brand new.
I tagged along a couple years ago with a couple chicas on a mission for matrimony.
Surpirsed to see the concept but makes sense. You spend a bundle on one and it stays in the closet, You wanna remember how pretty it was? Probably a enough pictures to do a documentary.

naksu

Aug 28, 2002
In Santo Domingo there's a bridal boutique/salon/whatever called Classic Elegance, that's on the 27 de Febrero, quite near Plaza Central. I rented my dress there and it's beautiful! They have a good selection and you can also rent jewelry, tiaras...almost everything. They also have excellent photo service.

At plaza central there's a little shop called Novissima. There's also another one called Novella, they have an European selection (Pro novias for instance) but I don't know the address.

Good luck!

dcareamama

Jul 22, 2004
I would suggest bringing the dress with you. That is what I did six years ago when I got married in SD. My dress was on the simply side, and this helped in carrying it with me. The flight attendant hung it up and it was fine. And, like another poster suggested, it might be cheaper to purchase the dress where you live. My dress was a Watters and Watters (www.watters.com) gown almost exactly to the one below and I think I payed something like $400 then. My veil was custom made also in the US for about $250. Hope that helped.

http://www.watters.com/product.x?line=brides&pid=767&page=12

"The more that you read, the more things you will know.
The more that you learn, the more places you'll go." Dr Seuss

dcareamama

Jul 22, 2004
How did you guess, LOL? Thanks for the compliments, by the way. You're too kind.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
dcareamama said:
How did you guess, LOL? Thanks for the compliments, by the way. You're too kind.

Because, my friend, I know you by now, including your writing style. Welcome back! It'll be great to have you here again.
Un abrazo,
K

dcareamama

Jul 22, 2004
Thanks Keith! It is nice to be back. I'll try to post here and there when Alexander gives me some time. Do tell Oni to give me a call...you know, just to catch up on things.

Status
Not open for further replies.