Cohiba Cigars

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Listen!!

Queya2 said:
Does anyone know where the factory for Cohiba Cigars is in DR?
I buy Cohiba Cigars for a co-worker evey single time I go to the DR. There are Cohibas made in Cuba and Cohibas made in the DR. If you do not want to encounter any problems, if you live in the US, get the Dominican Cohibas. My friend tells me that they are basically the same. They have a shop in Zona Colonial, by Isabel La Catolica Street. I bought him a 25 cigar box, on sale (so they claim), on June, 2004, for DR$ 2,800 pesos (about 63 dollars). Happy smoking!!!!

Ps: btw, do not buy Cohibas at the beach. They are fake.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
While there is no way in hell that

They are the same or even similar, Miguel is very right on his advice on not to buy anything on the beach
The Cohiba (Red Dot) cigars are made by General Cigar at their factory in Santiago. I do believe that some of them are sold at certain good cigar stores, but $63 a box seems like they are not the real ones, neither Cuban nor Dominican. And yes, they also fake Dominican brands.

Where will you be staying? If you are close to Santo Domingo go to the cigar store that is close to the Metro Station and see whether they carry the Dominican Cohibas, or try the cigar booth at the Nacional Supermarket.

In Santiago the Nacional Supermarket.

I can't think of any place else, exccept perhaps the cigar shop at Hotel Lina in Santo Domingo, or the Cigar Museum out by Higuey, run by one of the Kelner family.

sorry, but I cannot vouch for any other place.

Of course if you want to take the risk you can get some good Cubans on the way out of the Airport at the INTERDUTY Free Port shop...I think they are still in business.

HB

I just re-read your post and saw that you mentioned Isabel La Cat?lica St.. those cigars were not the Dominican nor the Cuban cigars, they were fakes.

Last edited:

Sanson

Apr 14, 2003
Cohiba Cigars are manufactured in the Dominican Rep. by General Cigar Holdings in the Free Zone of Santiago. You can buy their cigars in the duty free shops.

Queya2

Jun 28, 2004
I'll be in Santiago

Thanks guys! I'm going to Santiago and Santo Domingo...my family lives in Santiago. Where's the factory in Santiago? La zona franca?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Not if you don't have permission from General Cigars in NYC.

I do not think that they will sell you anything from the factory unless you know the General Manager. And then it is a stretch.

Better try the stores I mentioned.

HB

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Oh shi*!!!!

Hillbilly said:
They are the same or even similar, Miguel is very right on his advice on not to buy anything on the beach
The Cohiba (Red Dot) cigars are made by General Cigar at their factory in Santiago. I do believe that some of them are sold at certain good cigar stores, but $63 a box seems like they are not the real ones, neither Cuban nor Dominican. And yes, they also fake Dominican brands.

Where will you be staying? If you are close to Santo Domingo go to the cigar store that is close to the Metro Station and see whether they carry the Dominican Cohibas, or try the cigar booth at the Nacional Supermarket.

In Santiago the Nacional Supermarket.

I can't think of any place else, exccept perhaps the cigar shop at Hotel Lina in Santo Domingo, or the Cigar Museum out by Higuey, run by one of the Kelner family.

sorry, but I cannot vouch for any other place.

Of course if you want to take the risk you can get some good Cubans on the way out of the Airport at the INTERDUTY Free Port shop...I think they are still in business.

HB

I just re-read your post and saw that you mentioned Isabel La Cat?lica St.. those cigars were not the Dominican nor the Cuban cigars, they were fakes.
Maybe they are fakes. Actually, I paid, this time, 3,800 and not 2,800 as I stated on my first post. I am not a cigar smoker so it would be easy for me not to know if they are fakes or not. He seems to like them. Maybe I was fooled by the big Cohiba Emblem in the front of the store and that almost 90% of their inventory is Cohibas. They took advantage of me, shi*, hehe. Well, if feel better because my buddy have been thinking for years that he has been smoking the real deal, hehe.

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
I just bought some at the SDQ Airport near the Delta Check in area. I got 10 Cohibas for $40usd. I was brining them for someone else, so if they were fake, oh well it wasn't my money.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I'll bet those were fakes too!

Cohiba does not sell 10 cigar boxes that I know of. There are a lot more learned folks than me, but I have not seen a Cohiba 10 pack, ever.

Another tip off: No Cohiba sells IN CUBA for $4.00! Unless it is one of those miniatures...

Sorry guys, if you don't know the tip offs, don't try and buy Cohibas!!

HB

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
ALL the Cuban cigars at SDQ are fakes. If you want real ones you can get them at POP airport in the Duty Free area. There is a very good store straight across from where you enter the area that has real ones. As Hillbilly said, you will pay a lot more than $4 each, but they are real there.

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
Hillbilly, you've learned me well on the cigar business is DR. The person I was picking those up for just wanted the name brand to give out. I told her, that an inside source (aka Hillbilly) told me that most if not all were fakes. She wanted them anyways. Since it wasn't my cash, I obliged.

I went to the Leon Jimenez factory and picked up some Auroras, for a more knowledgeable smoking friend of mine, not the Cohibas stuff.