Living on the North Coast

redsand

Jul 3, 2004
Hello,

My first post here, but I have been reading for a while.

I have really been considering moving to the DR for a while. I am thinking the North Coast, from what I have read - like Sousa (sp) or Caberette (sp).

I would like to:

- Live on the Beach with a great view in a modest apartment
- Surf and/or learn =)
- Hang out with people from all over - US, Europe and DR ( I am 23 if it matters )
- Possibly learn Spanish - seems logical

I also need a few things. Many of you know if this is possible, if it is not please let me know and it'll save me much trouble!

- Hopefully no trash in the ocean (?)
- Electricity - fairly reliable ( seems like a big "if" ? )
- A/C or fans because...
- Friendly enough apartment/condo for my cat who would be coming with me
- Security
- Internet access

Now these things seem like big question marks. I wonder if they are all as bad as they seem from reading. I know someone posted they went back to Atlanta and it was like returning to civilization. I know the DR is "3rd" world or whatever, but I was hoping for just a place on the beach, wireless internet access (I read a post on here about a guy in Caberette who offers it - wondering if it is reliable as I work online for a living) and also some sort of place where I can trust a fan or a/c can be on fairly often so my cat doesn't fry. She is a good friend. =)

Also, this may be a stupid question - but I am assuming the beaches on the North Coast nice? I've read about trash etc in some posts - just wondering if there is a place w/o it?

Finally, the thing that brought me here and away from the Puerto Rico classifieds, of course is the lower prices. I have read some places are available monthly in the DR on the beach for $300-$400 - is this accurate? Anyone have any recommendations?

Also has anyone known of anyone who's gone to the North Coast just to kick it at my age - 23? I want to pick up some spanish because I feel like it would be a productive thing to do, but most of all I want to kick it on the beach and build my business online here and there. And cheaply, without things hopefully getting stolen. (like my iBook or cat) =)

I was looking for the cheapest place to do this, and it looks like the DR could be the answer - but I am wondering if I should just save myself the trouble and understand you truly do "get what you pay for" or if there is some place on the North Coast a bit touristy, clean, secure, online, by the month that is not too much cash.

I am sure people have searched for a place like I am describing. The perfect little spot in paradise with some great scenery, blue water - the kind you can look down into - crystal clear. Nice people.

Oh yes... is there a gym around? Haha. May be a dumb question - but maybe not! I have read and hey, it seems a bit rough of course.

Well hopefully this post is well-received by some great adventurers and vets of the DR out there. The beach-lovers and the "smart shoppers" all in one. =)

Is anyone concerned too about not having any rights (expats) in the DR or no medical coverage on the north coast since santa doming. is rather far?

I would like some adventure, just trying to cover my bases before I sell my furniture, and my pontiac sunfire and book a flight from detroit to ny to the DR with my cat Jasmine (oh yeah, www.ramblincat.com rocks).

Hey I've done things just about as crazy. You only live once, right?

Thanks in advance!

Dec 9, 2002
Hi Redsand, welcome to DR1.

Firstly, I can't answer your questions because I have never lived in DR although I do visit often. But reading your post I get the impression that you have never been to DR? Reading up on a forum like this is one thing, but living there is quite another. Please, before you do anything rash like sell your furniture and car, get someone to look after your cat for a few months and take yourself and your surfboard and computer to Cabarete and see what it is like for yourself.

Posters on this board can give you their opinions, but remember, that's all they are - opinions. You need to find out for yourself if you would be able to hack it.

Good luck.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Cheap, safe, on the beach, on a surfing beach, on a nice beach, with fairly reliable electricity, with a little higher than normal reliable bandwidth, with friendly people...

You may just have found your spot in paradise. But, before you pack the kitty and sell the vehicle, come try out Cabarete for a month or so. If you really want what you describe here, Cabarete is it. You may have to modify the requirements somewhat...

Cheap - not right on the beach but close by you can get cheap.
Surfing - a nice jog in the morning to the surfing beach
Connectivity - well, not very reliable but many internet cafe's with fast connections if your own connection fails, so, you even have a redundant connection - check that your building is connected.
Electricity, sometimes, depending how cheap your building is. Most buildings have some kind of back-up system.

At your age, why not let the kitty be cared for by a friend/family member for for a while, put the car in the garage, buy a ticket, pack the ibook and try it out.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
redsand said:
I would like to:

- Live on the Beach with a great view in a modest apartment
- Surf and/or learn =)
- Hang out with people from all over - US, Europe and DR ( I am 23 if it matters )
- Possibly learn Spanish - seems logical

- Hopefully no trash in the ocean (?)
- Electricity - fairly reliable ( seems like a big "if" ? )
- A/C or fans because...
- Friendly enough apartment/condo for my cat who would be coming with me
- Security
- Internet access
It sounds like you are describing Cabarete.

redsand said:
Also, this may be a stupid question - but I am assuming the beaches on the North Coast nice? I've read about trash etc in some posts - just wondering if there is a place w/o it?
The beaches are beautiful and mostly clean, although there are some around with trash, Cabarete is not one of them.

redsand said:
Finally, the thing that brought me here and away from the Puerto Rico classifieds, of course is the lower prices. I have read some places are available monthly in the DR on the beach for $300-$400 - is this accurate? Anyone have any recommendations?
This is accurate. My recommendation is to book into a hotel for a few days and find the place you want in person, rather than try to shop it on the internet.

redsand said:
Also has anyone known of anyone who's gone to the North Coast just to kick it at my age - 23? I want to pick up some spanish because I feel like it would be a productive thing to do, but most of all I want to kick it on the beach and build my business online here and there. And cheaply, without things hopefully getting stolen. (like my iBook or cat)
Lots of people have done it. Some were more succesful than others. Wisdom and good street sense make a big difference in the results.

redsand said:
I was looking for the cheapest place to do this, and it looks like the DR could be the answer - but I am wondering if I should just save myself the trouble and understand you truly do "get what you pay for" or if there is some place on the North Coast a bit touristy, clean, secure, online, by the month that is not too much cash.
The DR is very inexpensive and PR overpriced. You made the right decision.

redsand said:
Oh yes... is there a gym around? Haha. May be a dumb question - but maybe not! I have read and hey, it seems a bit rough of course.
There are 2 gyms in Sosua. Not sure about Cabarete.

redsand said:
Is anyone concerned too about not having any rights (expats) in the DR or no medical coverage on the north coast since santa doming. is rather far?
You can purchase medical insurance, once you get here.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I think you are unrealistic and wont find what you are looking for in the DR.

I can't figure why the others are promoting this for you but after reading your requirements and price which I got a chuckle out of it. If you leave your a/c on for your cat the electric will put you close or over budget and you will NEVER get what you are looking for for 400 a month.

This is the 3rd world or maybe 4th world. Pony up a bigger budget, drop some of the things you desire, be forgiving in exchange for great weather and people and maybe you have a chance.

Scott

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
There is presently one gym in Sosua. Were two for several years, but the building one was in was damaged by last year's earthquake. Many people from Cabarete use the gym since Cabarete only a few miles from Sosua and easily reached by cheap public transportation.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Chris said:
At 23 years of age, what's the problem in checking it out before you throw the idea away...?
I say he can check it out if he realistically understands a bit more. To even let him think he can come close to getting everything on his list at the price he wants to pay is silly. Forewarned is forearmed. Believe it or not I am trying to help him but he needs to adjust his expectations greatly. Take a walk on the beach in Cabarete on a Sunday evening and look at the garbage left behind. That is pretty FUGLY!

T

TiberiusMineola

Costambar?? Puerto Plata??

You don't mention Puerto Plata [POP]; I think it's worth a visit. There's a largely Gringo subdivision on the ocaen in POP named "Costambar". May apts. are for rent in the US $200. / month range; not on the beach, but a 5" walk away. There's a nice gym & several restaurants. Many pleasant Americans & Canadians live there. Costambar is not everyone's cup of tea!! Playa Cofresi is also worth a look. I think the best advice I've read on this board is for you to come down, ALONE, & rent an apt-hotel room for 2 - 4 - 6 months & explore. Cabarete is very well organized; if surfing a lot is your cup of tea, Cabarete might work out best. Sosua?? Not my cup of tea. Background: I'm an American from New England who has been living here for 8 years; a mostly postive experience 85% of the time! The other 15%? The W@%*TG! Dominicans drive me crazy! The cost of living here is very reasonable. The DR quality of life is exciting! Take a crack at it; you don't have much to lose. After you've been here a year or so? Experiment with Las Terrenas, Samana, & [perhaps?] Jarabacoa. All very beautiful in their own way. Good Fortune!

redsand

Jul 3, 2004
Hello all,

Thanks for your great replies thus far.

Yes, it may be worth a chuckle - but I was just wondering if it is possible. If not, that is fine too. I was only looking at living somewhere for about 6 months 1 yr anyways. More or less depending on if I like it or don't, of course.

I figured this was a good place to ask since, as far as oceanfront (or near oceanfront) went - DR seems to be where its at for budget-minded people.

I was thinking about Thailand also for a while. It seems like a very cool place and a lot of people I know have visited there. However, I believe there is some unrest in the south. Also, the plane tickets are a lot more expensive and the flight is a lot longer.

Selling my furniture and my car is not really rash in my case. I am kind of like that. When I graduated from HS I just packed up my car and drove to Florida after grad. and did my first 2 years of college there before moving back transfering to U of M(ich) for the final two. In fact, I am almost looking for a reason to do it - if there are any good ones. Paradise at a good rate could be just that. No? =) I didn't know if such a thing existed any more and have thought about Mexico, Brazil, Panama, Nic., Costa, etc. - all of which (except Brazil really) I have kind of leaned against for one reason or another from reading on the thorntree at LP, and other places. I have been to a fair amount of places in my life - all over Europe - Spain, Italy, France, England, Aruba, Cancun, Mx, Hawaii - and so traveling and being in "interesting" conditions are not so new to me. Spain was probably the biggest change from America. Now if it was like Spain, (Barcelona), but on the ocean - not so bad I would think. Obviously it is not a huge city, which I could do without - but, I just mean the living conditions. I get the feeling of course that it is not. I mean I know that for sure by reading. I wonder just how "bad" it is - or rough - like in Caberette for example. Besides a cool place at least some of the time for my cat, and hopefully a secure place, I don't have many requirements, but am just wondering what to expect.

Yes, I see the electricity problem would cause thinking it possible for a/c to be on all the time a bit rediculous. I am just wondering if it is possible, in Caberette for example, to have a relatively cool place - even with the outages I have read about, etc. - so my cat doesn't fry.

The reason I am bringing my cat where ever I go is primarily because she's my homey. Plus, split up family, etc - no one really wants to watch her - also, if I came back and she was mean for some reason, well I'd be pissed.

Maybe it is not possible in the DR, which is okay. I was looking at living in South Beach, Miami but the apartments are steep - although you can find in the Miami Herald some for around ~$650/mo - not oceanfront, of course. Also not a lot of surfing going on there as I've been there. =) But, nice water and scenery.

Of course, no, I haven't been there - so I was just wondering if it would be fair to think the place to go is the DR, from people that have been there, based on some ideas I had about things I needed and/or wanted. I am glad someone said at $400/mo., security, beachfront, and a relatively cool place is unrealisitc in a fairly friendly area. I believe it was Scott. I'd rather hear what people think is the truth.

Also, thank you one poster up from this for mentioning a couple other places. You say the subdivision you mention is not some people's cup of tea? What do you think is the reason for this?

If anyone knows of any specific places in Cabarette to email perhaps, or that they recommend, that would be great. Thanks again.

Wales

English Twit!
May 21, 2004
Cat

redsand said:
Hello all,

Thanks for your great replies thus far.

Yes, it may be worth a chuckle - but I was just wondering if it is possible. If not, that is fine too. I was only looking at living somewhere for about 6 months 1 yr anyways. More or less depending on if I like it or don't, of course.

I figured this was a good place to ask since, as far as oceanfront (or near oceanfront) went - DR seems to be where its at for budget-minded people.

I was thinking about Thailand also for a while. It seems like a very cool place and a lot of people I know have visited there. However, I believe there is some unrest in the south. Also, the plane tickets are a lot more expensive and the flight is a lot longer.

Selling my furniture and my car is not really rash in my case. I am kind of like that. When I graduated from HS I just packed up my car and drove to Florida after grad. and did my first 2 years of college there before moving back transfering to U of M(ich) for the final two. In fact, I am almost looking for a reason to do it - if there are any good ones. Paradise at a good rate could be just that. No? =) I didn't know if such a thing existed any more and have thought about Mexico, Brazil, Panama, Nic., Costa, etc. - all of which (except Brazil really) I have kind of leaned against for one reason or another from reading on the thorntree at LP, and other places. I have been to a fair amount of places in my life - all over Europe - Spain, Italy, France, England, Aruba, Cancun, Mx, Hawaii - and so traveling and being in "interesting" conditions are not so new to me. Spain was probably the biggest change from America. Now if it was like Spain, (Barcelona), but on the ocean - not so bad I would think. Obviously it is not a huge city, which I could do without - but, I just mean the living conditions. I get the feeling of course that it is not. I mean I know that for sure by reading. I wonder just how "bad" it is - or rough - like in Caberette for example. Besides a cool place at least some of the time for my cat, and hopefully a secure place, I don't have many requirements, but am just wondering what to expect.

Yes, I see the electricity problem would cause thinking it possible for a/c to be on all the time a bit rediculous. I am just wondering if it is possible, in Caberette for example, to have a relatively cool place - even with the outages I have read about, etc. - so my cat doesn't fry.

The reason I am bringing my cat where ever I go is primarily because she's my homey. Plus, split up family, etc - no one really wants to watch her - also, if I came back and she was mean for some reason, well I'd be pissed.

Maybe it is not possible in the DR, which is okay. I was looking at living in South Beach, Miami but the apartments are steep - although you can find in the Miami Herald some for around ~$650/mo - not oceanfront, of course. Also not a lot of surfing going on there as I've been there. =) But, nice water and scenery.

Of course, no, I haven't been there - so I was just wondering if it would be fair to think the place to go is the DR, from people that have been there, based on some ideas I had about things I needed and/or wanted. I am glad someone said at $400/mo., security, beachfront, and a relatively cool place is unrealisitc in a fairly friendly area. I believe it was Scott. I'd rather hear what people think is the truth.

Also, thank you one poster up from this for mentioning a couple other places. You say the subdivision you mention is not some people's cup of tea? What do you think is the reason for this?

If anyone knows of any specific places in Cabarette to email perhaps, or that they recommend, that would be great. Thanks again.

Do not worry about your cat. She will be fine and she does not need constant a/c. We took two cats to Saudi Arabia and they were fine. We are bringing Mr. Pugsley - an extremely large Sealpoint Persian when we come to live next month - along with two little (4 legged ) girls. They adapt very quickly as long as they are with their Mummies and Daddies.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Make sure you keep the cats indoors. They taste like chicken you know. ;) I'm not joking.

redsand

Jul 3, 2004
Anna Coniglio said:
Make sure you keep the cats indoors. They taste like chicken you know. ;) I'm not joking.

Yikes - My friend plays for the Seattle Mariners and has teammates from the DR - said they eat cats! Ahhhhh! Hehe.

Everyone's different - but no one like's their friends eaten!

Thanks for the reply Re: Cats Wales =)

Wales

English Twit!
May 21, 2004
Cats

redsand said:
Yikes - My friend plays for the Seattle Mariners and has teammates from the DR - said they eat cats! Ahhhhh! Hehe.

You must have a very sick mind. Suggest you talk to Harjorie Proops. Maybe she can help you.

Wales

English Twit!
May 21, 2004
Cats

redsand said:

How do you know? Even alligators / crocodilles / and Frog's legs taste like chicken. I have eaten all. it is the Garlic and other things that make them exciting and great to eat

redsand

Jul 3, 2004
Wales said:
You must have a very sick mind. Suggest you talk to Harjorie Proops. Maybe she can help you.

Um, I have a sick mind? For replying to someone saying cats taste like chicken with "Everyone's different but no one like's their friends eaten"?

Well, actually I was saying I don't want my cat eaten. But I had heard people eat cats in the DR.

Um... ya

Wales

English Twit!
May 21, 2004
redsand said:
Um, I have a sick mind? For replying to someone saying cats taste like chicken with "Everyone's different but no one like's their friends eaten"?

Well, actually I was saying I don't want my cat eaten. But I had heard people eat cats in the DR.

Um... ya

Sorry. There was a previous post about cats tasting like chicken. I meant to respond to that.

Jerry K

Jan 1, 2002
Kitty Kat curry

Redsand, now you know why Wales proudly wears the nameplate "English Twit". He means well but sometimes reacts too quick.

redsand

Jul 3, 2004
Jerry K said:
Redsand, now you know why Wales proudly wears the nameplate "English Twit". He means well but sometimes reacts too quick.

Hehe no problems - I just was wondering if I worded something strangely or what prompted it. Its all gravy baby.