High Speed Internet in a Condo Complex

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Are there any condo complexes that have high speed internet connections in all the apartments or all whose owners want them? CondoDominicanos has and I am in touch with Eddy, but I'm wondering if there are other condo complexes that I could talk with about their experience with installation, etc.

We are also in touch with Verizon, but though they are interested in servicing a number of computers in an office, they indicate they no longer do the same for a condo complex. Probably because they make more money if each apartment has its own modem, etc. However, every time you call Verizon you get a different person and quite often a different answer. So we'll keep on this also.

But meantime I'd be interested in communicating with other condo complexes that have already a high speed internet system.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Ken said:
Are there any condo complexes that have high speed internet connections in all the apartments or all whose owners want them? CondoDominicanos has and I am in touch with Eddy, but I'm wondering if there are other condo complexes that I could talk with about their experience with installation, etc.

Ken, we've done this frequently in condo / hotel complexes with satellite connectivity - I do realise that you are going to be using Flash or some kind of DSL. I'll be glad to answer questions for you in terms of what you should be looking at to make the service work for you. I am sure that Robert can also help a lot simply with defining the requirements and making sure that the installation meets the requirements.

Here are a few questions that come to my mind...

Are you going to be using a wireless model inside the building? or, are you going to cable it (Cat 5, 5e or 6 ethernet) and bring cable into every condo?

If wireless, have you tested the wireless signal in all Condo's? Placement of the wireless nodes?

If ethernet cable, how are you going to run the cable, taking into consideration aesthetics as well as practical considerations?

Overall bandwidth requirements?

Happy to answer whatever questions you may have....

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Verizon

Ken, how I dearly wish we'd had this interesting post a few months ago. I tried and tried with various people as you mention from Verizon, even eventually making contact with supervisors here in Sosua to get a phone installed in my complex, as high speed internet is most always necessary not only for my business, but my clients. I found as you did that they were no longer interested in installing private phones, only commercial. If I paid an huge amount for extra cabling it might be possible, but I have already waited 5 months and gave up. Someone, with the cooperation of a neighbour created something called a hub and I paid 22,000 pesos for the cabling and now I have internet. But I wish I had been better informed about this wireless connection beforehand. I would still like to install this high speed internet to the other units I rent out, as the connection is only to the main house. Can anyone help?? anyone need the work please?? at a reasonable cost. Thanks

germish

Oct 22, 2004
Ben Dover said:
Sorry, no I want a job spam on DR1.
Looks like my last message had content that Robert didn't like. Ok, if you would like to install a wireless netowrk into your complex please PM me. I would be glad to share information, and if need be, I can perform the service.

germish

Oct 22, 2004
Chris said:
Ken, we've done this frequently in condo / hotel complexes with satellite connectivity - I do realise that you are going to be using Flash or some kind of DSL. I'll be glad to answer questions for you in terms of what you should be looking at to make the service work for you. I am sure that Robert can also help a lot simply with defining the requirements and making sure that the installation meets the requirements.

Here are a few questions that come to my mind...

Are you going to be using a wireless model inside the building? or, are you going to cable it (Cat 5, 5e or 6 ethernet) and bring cable into every condo?

If wireless, have you tested the wireless signal in all Condo's? Placement of the wireless nodes?

If ethernet cable, how are you going to run the cable, taking into consideration aesthetics as well as practical considerations?

Overall bandwidth requirements?

Happy to answer whatever questions you may have....

Are you in business of this kind? I'm specifically looking to find work in this field

Thebes

Jun 18, 2004
The Pariso de Colon in Sosua has a setup like this. I believe that they use a central router and hubs. Internet is availible in most of their vacation rentals, I don't know about for residents but I'm sure it would be possible.

As a side note, if you do this, you may want to impliment some sort of QoS protocal and a router that will keep one person from leeching all of the bandwidth, ruining VoIP and streaming media for the other occasional users, etc. Linksys has a router that can be hacked for such a purpose, though its a bit low end for a large condo complex :glasses:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
We are not pursuing this in our complex because the risks are too great.

At one time, Verizon did do set ups like this. But no longer. Now they will permit a complex to create a "cyber cafe" facility but not wire the apartments. They lose too much revenue. The revenue realized from 15 computers installed by a condo compared with 15 individual customers in apartments is very significant.

It is possible to get Verizon employees to wire the complex during their off hours, but if a Verizon employee in his official capacity ever discovers that this has been done, Verizon says it will pull the service from all the users in the complex. Perhaps Verizon's bark in this case is worse than its bite, but the owners don't want to risk it.

Toronto2inDR

Jun 10, 2004
www.legendhomesnorthcoast.com
I got the high speed in and the neighbors came asking about it so I shoot cables out to their places and we split the monthly fee, the speed is still great, down side is that there are cables going all over the place, just make sure to disconnect them if someone from Verizon is coming over.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Go wirless. How will they ever know? Just make sure you get a fast plan with Verizon if you plan on sharing the connection with many apartments.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Robert said:
Go wirless. How will they ever know? Just make sure you get a fast plan with Verizon if you plan on sharing the connection with many apartments.

Robert, where can we get info on this?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Ken said:
Robert, where can we get info on this?

I would send an email or PM to Chris.

Installation is not hard, it just has to be done right and with the right equipment. I'm sure U$1,000-1,500 (Router, access points, antenna's and excluding tech time) would buy a very good setup to cover the condos with a wireless zone. I would assume as you have some thick brink walls that access would be distributed from the front of the building, that way everyone can connect.

Then it's down to working out the monthly fees per condo, plus the cost of the wireless cards, access points etc for each condo.

Add is a few wireless CCTV cameras and everybody becomes a security guard for the condos. You hear a noise, just go to the PC, click on the IP bookmark and you will be able to see the live CCTV images.

Ken, you could even sit at the pool with a laptop and read DR1 :)

The web has lots of info on wireless installs and how to expand a wireless network.

Nice article of someone that just set up their condos.
http://forevergeek.com/articles/apartment_complex_unwired.php

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Flash Options:

Plan 1: RD$1,495.00 monthly
384 Kbps (Down) - 256 Kbps (Up)

Plan 2: RD$1,995.00 monthly
512 Kbps - 384 Kbps

Plan 3: RD2,745.00 monthly
768 Kbps - 384 Kbps

Plan 4: RD$3,965.00 monthly
1,536 Kbps - 512 Kbps

You can always start at Plan 1 and move up if users find it slow.
Plan 4 is more than enough for your apartment complex.

Simple numbers on 20 apartments using Plan 4:

Installation: US$1,500 (Router, antenna's, access points)
Tech time: US$1,000
Per Condo: US$200 (wirless card or bridge etc)

One off US$135 per condo install charge and RD$200 per month access.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Ben Dover said:
I can't argue with the costs of the Verizon service but the routers and cards are much cheaper unless you are using commercial grade.

I am provifiding two installations oin my arrival. $100 CDN por router and and $100 or less per card. Plus my fees. of course I am bringing the equipoment with me. As for tech time, that is debatable.

Range on these routers is 300 ft. Speed: proprietary at 130 Mbps and access points TBD. Up to 253 clients per router. For a SOHO installation this should prove adequate.

If you are doing an apartment complex, then you should be using commercial grade components to provide the wireless zone. Sorry, but off the shelf (CompUSA) SOHO components should never be used for an apartment complex if you plan on doing it right.

I agree with you that the per condo components can be your off the shelf (CompUSA) name brand components. Wireless card or bridge.

300ft is the theoretical range of many wireless routers, not the practical range. Add a wall and the range degrades considerably.

Let me add... This is the wrong place to go looking for business.
We discourage "I want a job" ads. What you do via email is completely up to you :)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Robert, thanks for all the info. I'm going to pursue it. All sounds very good except your, "How will they ever know?"