Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default High Speed Internet in a Condo Complex

Are there any condo complexes that have high speed internet connections in all the apartments or all whose owners want them? CondoDominicanos has and I am in touch with Eddy, but I'm wondering if there are other condo complexes that I could talk with about their experience with installation, etc.

We are also in touch with Verizon, but though they are interested in servicing a number of computers in an office, they indicate they no longer do the same for a condo complex. Probably because they make more money if each apartment has its own modem, etc. However, every time you call Verizon you get a different person and quite often a different answer. So we'll keep on this also.

But meantime I'd be interested in communicating with other condo complexes that have already a high speed internet system.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ken
    Are there any condo complexes that have high speed internet connections in all the apartments or all whose owners want them? CondoDominicanos has and I am in touch with Eddy, but I'm wondering if there are other condo complexes that I could talk with about their experience with installation, etc.
    Ken, we've done this frequently in condo / hotel complexes with satellite connectivity - I do realise that you are going to be using Flash or some kind of DSL. I'll be glad to answer questions for you in terms of what you should be looking at to make the service work for you. I am sure that Robert can also help a lot simply with defining the requirements and making sure that the installation meets the requirements.

Here are a few questions that come to my mind...

Are you going to be using a wireless model inside the building? or, are you going to cable it (Cat 5, 5e or 6 ethernet) and bring cable into every condo?

If wireless, have you tested the wireless signal in all Condo's? Placement of the wireless nodes?

If ethernet cable, how are you going to run the cable, taking into consideration aesthetics as well as practical considerations?

Overall bandwidth requirements?

Happy to answer whatever questions you may have....

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Verizon

Ken, how I dearly wish we'd had this interesting post a few months ago. I tried and tried with various people as you mention from Verizon, even eventually making contact with supervisors here in Sosua to get a phone installed in my complex, as high speed internet is most always necessary not only for my business, but my clients. I found as you did that they were no longer interested in installing private phones, only commercial. If I paid an huge amount for extra cabling it might be possible, but I have already waited 5 months and gave up. Someone, with the cooperation of a neighbour created something called a hub and I paid 22,000 pesos for the cabling and now I have internet. But I wish I had been better informed about this wireless connection beforehand. I would still like to install this high speed internet to the other units I rent out, as the connection is only to the main house. Can anyone help?? anyone need the work please?? at a reasonable cost. Thanks

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default chris

i pm'd u

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, no I want a job spam on DR1.
    Last edited by DR1Admin; 11-13-2004 at 10:20 PM.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Dover
    Sorry, no I want a job spam on DR1.
    Looks like my last message had content that Robert didn't like. Ok, if you would like to install a wireless netowrk into your complex please PM me. I would be glad to share information, and if need be, I can perform the service.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris
    Ken, we've done this frequently in condo / hotel complexes with satellite connectivity - I do realise that you are going to be using Flash or some kind of DSL. I'll be glad to answer questions for you in terms of what you should be looking at to make the service work for you. I am sure that Robert can also help a lot simply with defining the requirements and making sure that the installation meets the requirements.

Here are a few questions that come to my mind...

Are you going to be using a wireless model inside the building? or, are you going to cable it (Cat 5, 5e or 6 ethernet) and bring cable into every condo?

If wireless, have you tested the wireless signal in all Condo's? Placement of the wireless nodes?

If ethernet cable, how are you going to run the cable, taking into consideration aesthetics as well as practical considerations?

Overall bandwidth requirements?

Happy to answer whatever questions you may have....
    Are you in business of this kind? I'm specifically looking to find work in this field

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

d;Oh! That was intended to be a PM!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

The Pariso de Colon in Sosua has a setup like this. I believe that they use a central router and hubs. Internet is availible in most of their vacation rentals, I don't know about for residents but I'm sure it would be possible.

As a side note, if you do this, you may want to impliment some sort of QoS protocal and a router that will keep one person from leeching all of the bandwidth, ruining VoIP and streaming media for the other occasional users, etc. Linksys has a router that can be hacked for such a purpose, though its a bit low end for a large condo complex

Post Thanks / Like

wow taht is grrrrrreat!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast