Beware of Cut-Rate Surgery in the D.R.

Seachange

Jan 13, 2004
www.Banker-Trust.com
:ermm: In New York City, the reports started coming in early this year. Women went to their doctors complaining of boils, swelling and red splotches on their skin. They had developed fevers, infections and horrible pain. Many had severe scars.

In recent months, doctors have traced the problems to what has apparently become a phenomenon among New York City's Latinas: haphazard cosmetic surgery conducted in the Dominican Republic after being arranged through beauty salons in Washington Heights and other city neighborhoods. The salons act as conduits for the procedure, with recruiters, some from the Dominican Republic, visiting hairdressing parlors, where they casually mention to customers that they know of cheap places to get liposuction, tummy tucks and breast augmentation.

Nine women in New York City have come forward to report complications stemming from such procedures, but the City Health Department believes many more people have developed infections.

The health commissioner, Thomas R. Frieden, and other officials urge people not to go to the Dominican Republic for cosmetic surgery. Recently, during a bilingual news conference in Washington Heights, they warned against trying to save money by leaving the U.S. to have such procedures.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
It is a matter of buyer beware, you get what you pay for.

The D.R. should not be the only country singled out for this phenomenon because it is an occurance world wide. This has been a practice going on for years along the U.S. Mexico border

Also, the states has its share of cosmetic surgery quacks looking for victims. I observed a news blurb last week where I believe it was in Calif that dentists can perform cosmetic plastic surgery on parts of the body having nothing to do with jaw reconstruction. Now authorities are looking to close the loophole in the law that allows this.

The U.S., D.R., Mexico, or any other country you need to thoroughly investigate the credentials those who are performing surgery, know their procedures, see their facilities, and get references.

Regards,
PJT

Seachange

Jan 13, 2004
www.Banker-Trust.com
PJT said:
It is a matter of buyer beware, you get what you pay for.

The D.R. should not be the only country singled out for this phenomenon because it is an occurance world wide. This has been a practice going on for years along the U.S. Mexico border

Also, the states has its share of cosmetic surgery quacks looking for victims. I observed a news blurb last week where I believe it was in Calif that dentists can perform cosmetic plastic surgery on parts of the body having nothing to do with jaw reconstruction. Now authorities are looking to close the loophole in the law that allows this.

The U.S., D.R., Mexico, or any other country you need to thoroughly investigate the credentials those who are performing surgery, know their procedures, see their facilities, and get references.

Regards,
PJT

Excellent point/advise.

T

TiberiusMineola

Counter Point: Face Lift!! Perfect Results!!

I'm an American, living here 8 years. I just had a face lift, in Santo Domingo. Reasonable price, totally professional care [Cardioligist! Hematologist! overnight in a clinic]. Results? Near perfect, considering my advanced age, poor physical condition, history of self abuse, & inherent ugliness!! In all modesty.
Suggestion: find a former cosmetic surgery patient, foreign or DR, who's had the procedure you're considering at least 2 years earlier [ie before 2004]; look at his / her results, modesty permitting. If the results are good or very good, ask who the surgeon was & how much the price was. Go to the same surgeon, ask for an exam & a price quote. Much to lose? Some of the MDs charge 500 P for the exam & estimate. Seems near foolproof. This is wahy I did. Food for thought? Word of mouth is the best advertising & recommendation!! The better DR, most seemingly in Santo Domingo, plastic surgeons seem to have very busy practices. One satisfied patient's opinion.