Is it true...?

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
That if you have been diagnosed as having diabetes, there is no way you can get health insurance in the DR?

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I am sure you cannot get health insurance of many pre-existing conditions that you have before signing up for a plan, like AIDS, cancer, etc......Remember, insurance companies are the modern highway robbers along with banks and lawyers.

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
Its worth researching further...

I am not sure if the above statement is totally correct. Many insurance have a 12-month "waiting period" (not the exact term used) for pre-existing conditions. Meaning treatment for those illness may not be covered for the first 12 months of the plan. I believe it is in your best interest to research this as health services are extremely vital especially when living abroad. Let the insurance companies tell you "no," and dont sell yourself short based on someone elses opinnion. However, I dont think its going to cheap. Good luck to you.
TEHAMA

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
Diabetes and med. insurance

TEHAMA said:
I am not sure if the above statement is totally correct. Many insurance have a 12-month "waiting period" (not the exact term used) for pre-existing conditions. Meaning treatment for those illness may not be covered for the first 12 months of the plan. I believe it is in your best interest to research this as health services are extremely vital especially when living abroad. Let the insurance companies tell you "no," and dont sell yourself short based on someone elses opinnion. However, I dont think its going to cheap. Good luck to you.
TEHAMA

Yes, it's something that needs further research. It's been less than a year since my doctor told me I had diabetes. I have it under control, don't need insulin, just pills, exercise, weight and diet control. Because it is a recent diagnosis, I did not know it was one of the conditions insurances companies usually excluded. I have job provided insurance which covers it. It is a shame that in a country like the DR, where health insurance is so affordable, I would face this obstacle if I ever decide to live there. Of course, I realize this would be the case anywhere, including the USA or any other country. Thanks for your advice, I did not know about the twelve month waiting period either.

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
Insurance

Conchman wrote:

......Remember, insurance companies are the modern highway robbers along with banks and lawyers."

Unfortunatly, I am afraid that's true.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
A Plan

Buy the insurance on Monday then get a new doctor to diagnose you with diabetes on Tuesday. Kill or otherwise dispose of all your original doctors.

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
ricktoronto said:
Buy the insurance on Monday then get a new doctor to diagnose you with diabetes on Tuesday. Kill or otherwise dispose of all your original doctors.

Hey, that's a good plan! I am sure there are people who do just that if they have no other choice.

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
Medical care down here is very cheap compared to the states.

The only time I went to the emergency room at Union Medica, I had some blood work done and they gave me two shots. I was running a high fever and worried that it might be something other that just the normal flu. They told me that I would live. When I got the bill I instantly felt much better. Total damage was equal to $9 and change. That is without medical insurance. Just imagine how cheap it would be if I was just making the co payment.

I'm also type 2 diabetic, but I haven't checked into medical insurance here yet. If something big ever comes up I'm sure the costs will ad up, but it will be no where near the costs in the states.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
ricktoronto said:

The insurance company would wiggle themselves out from paying by getting a doctor to say that the condition existed before the policy was started. Insurance companies like to collect premiums every month, how dare you want to collect any money from them!

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
Thanks Gringo for the information on medical costs. I had no idea it would be that affordable. But, I have seen the outside of two hospitals in Santo Domingo. Neither one I would "walk" into. I know this sounds ugly, but they reminded me of those Public Clinics. I bring this up hoping that you correct any misgivings I might have about the actual patient care recieved.

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
Most of the hospitals here are run by the government. They provide "free" medical care to the people. But they don't have funding right now to buy supplies. So if you need something as simple as a bag of saline solution they will send someone to buy it, if you have the money to pay for it. Over all the public hospitals are in very bad shape.

Union Medica is in Santiago, basically it's the best hospital we have here. The costs passed on to the patients do reflect that. I can't honestly say that Union Medica is on the same level as 1st class hospitals in the states, but they do a decent job there. Many people here have insurance that will airlift them to the states in extreme medical emergencies. Personally I don't have insurance in the states either. If I needed surgery I would fly to San Jose Costa Rica. CIMA hospital is affiated with Baylor Medical University out of Houston Texas. CIMA is as 1st rate as you will find in any country. The costs there will normally be about 1/4 of what you would expect for the same level of care in the states.