Looking for Apartment in Gascue or the Colonial Zone

miamibrian

Jun 26, 2004
I am looking for a two bedroom apartment, unfurnished with a "planta full" or battery backup system, very secure, a balcony would be nice, in Gascue or the Colonial Zone or within walking distance of the Colonial Zone. I have seen several already between 12,000 and 15,000 pesos monthly (within my budget), but for one reason or another they weren't right for me. I am very concerned about the power outages and don't want to be in the dark all the time. Security and electricity are my two most important concerns.

Also, several people I have spoken to have told me that foreigners have to pay the entire year in advance. Is this true? If I had to pay the equivalent of $250 or $300 a month all at once, I could do it, but I find this a little insulting if it is true. And some people told me that in addition to paying a full year in advance, they also wanted a two month security deposit. Why would they want a deposit? What is their risk if I have paid a full year in advance?

Do you think if I played hardball when I am ready to sign a least that I could insist on only paying 6 months and no security deposit?

I am planning on having a lawyer make sure the person renting to me is the real owner by doing a title check (I have already been warned that this is very necessary).

Well, if anyone knows of some very nice two bedroom apartments with balconies and with planta fulls and or battery backup systems for less than 15,000 pesos a month (or less than US$300) in Gascue or the Colonial Zone, I would be so grateful! And any advice about the paying in advance issue would also be helpful.

I am very worried about being cheated. How do you know after signing the lease and giving someone a year?s worth of rent in cash, that the landlord is giving you the REAL keys to the apartment and that it is not a scam?

Thank you so much group, Brian :D

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Not True

"Also, several people I have spoken to have told me that foreigners have to pay the entire year in advance. Is this true?"

The only thing they do have the right to ask for are the deposits (2 or 3 months), other than that, they are just playing with you! :disappoin

Ant

Feb 1, 2002
Rent Deposit

If you are a foreigner in this country and renting an apt. usually you have to have a co-signer. If you can't find a co-signer you then will have to pay at least 6 months rent, or depending on the owner, a year. Of course there are exceptions to all rules.