ID to get in

2time

Jul 2, 2004
my buddy has a expired drivers NY ID, no passport but does have brith certificate....I assume this will be a problem ? does anyone know of ways to get last minute ID that will get in into DR.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Expedited Passport

You can pay extra to get a passport in NYC in a day or two. You can get in with valid photo ID (not sure I'd risk an expired anything) and a brith certificate, though who knows when that door will be shut?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Besides being stupid

Your buddy is lazy. You can get a birth certificate in minutes in NYC. I did it for my grandson.

There is a site that can do it for you in a day or two. Do a search on the board and it will come up.
HB

BigCity27

Mar 4, 2004
State I.D. Card?

Go to the local DMV and get a state-issued ID card. A buddy of mine had to do it and took him about 10 minutes.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Not Much Help

Hillbilly said:
Your buddy is lazy. You can get a birth certificate in minutes in NYC. I did it for my grandson.

There is a site that can do it for you in a day or two. Do a search on the board and it will come up.
HB

Since the locquacious OP said the guy has a birth certificate, two won't help. Even if he's lazy.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
My apologies!

I read the post in the dim light of a blacked out office. No power and little inverter power.

I just plain read it wrong.:(

Your friend can travel on just his birth certificate under the old laws. However post 9-11 he will be asked for some picture IDs no matter what.

Better get a passport. There is nothing better or renew his DL.

My apologies for the slur. I just could not believe that someone would not know how to get a Birth CErtificate!:D

HB

Rick, thanks for the heads up! Blew it, huh!

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
keep in mind that some DMV offices (depending on State) will issue you a temporary ID which has no picture. You will receive the ID with pic in 4-6 weeks in the mail.

At least this is the case in NYC.

salita

Jul 3, 2004
2time said:
my buddy has a expired drivers NY ID, no passport but does have brith certificate....I assume this will be a problem ? does anyone know of ways to get last minute ID that will get in into DR.
also, remember that an expired license can cause you problems LEAVING/RETURNING the US as well, everyone's recommendation of going to the DMV and getting a non-driver ID is a good one, if it doesn't have a picture than bring along a company ID or something with a picture that they can match the name too (if you didn't get your passport) and that would be fine. The passport is the best way to go!