Nalga de Maco

David Dempsey

Jul 3, 2004
Has anyone ever been to Nalga de Maco? I'd be interested in any information on how to get there and what to expect once you are there.

Thanks!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
No he's not and it'snot what you are thinking

Nalga de Maco is one of the higher peaks in the Cordillera Central and< if memory serves, it is towards the West, perhaps to the South of Santiago Rodr?guez. I have never been there, but I believe thatold Larry DArwin walked that area when he was walking back and forth from Santaigo to San Juan de la Maguana.

It is on most maps. It is a few kilometers East of Colonia R?o Limpio where there has been some community development going on. Rio Limpio is Spouth of Dajabon. The mountain is 1991 meters high.

Why?

HB

Oh yeah, Janej's post was because it translates to Frog's Butt Mountain

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Larry Darwin

Larry was a tall drink of water that used to teach English at the Dominico-Americano in Santiago, and at the Instituto Superior de Agricultura (ISA) in La Herradura. He had a big very DEEEP voice and was extremely well liked by his students. He married a lady named adela and eventually bought a house in the Cerros de Gurabo.

Larry loved to walk and he probably knew the mountains between San Juan de la Maguana and Santiago better than anybody in the history of the DR.
He found a lot of caves and tons of Taino artifacts which he collected, or sold to the National Museum. The most famous artifact is the one of the sitting Cem? that has his palms upwards. Larry found him with a gold nugget in one eyesocket, but he could never find the other one.

Many of the caves he explored were filled with bat guano worth a fortune, but they also might have contributed to his death from lung disease.
Good man.

HB