Passport Question

Alexis

Jul 4, 2004
We are moving to Dominican for 3 months. Do we need to have a passport??...I know you dont need one for vacation but is it better to have one for a lengthly visit??
Thanks

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Where?

To "Dominican" means you are moving into a person who lives there. You are moving to the DR (or RD or Dominican Republic) for 3 months. Assuming you can enter as a visitor without a passport ( since you didn't say where you are) , e.g. Canada or the US, then just arrive without, get your tourist card, overstay the tourist card and pay the fine which for 16-90 days is about 50 cents. You'd wind up overstaying and paying the fine for a passport as well anyway now that a tourist card is only for 15 dyas as a weasel-minded tax grab.

All that aside anyone who travels internationally without a passport is an amateur.

Alexis

Jul 4, 2004
ricktoronto said:
To "Dominican" means you are moving into a person who lives there. You are moving to the DR (or RD or Dominican Republic) for 3 months. Assuming you can enter as a visitor without a passport ( since you didn't say where you are) , e.g. Canada or the US, then just arrive without, get your tourist card, overstay the tourist card and pay the fine which for 16-90 days is about 50 cents. You'd wind up overstaying and paying the fine for a passport as well anyway now that a tourist card is only for 15 dyas as a weasel-minded tax grab.

All that aside anyone who travels internationally without a passport is an amateur.

Well thanks so much Rick. I am from Toronto also...amateur...that's me!!...thats why I ask people like you!!..ha ha..thanks

jerryme

Feb 1, 2004
Is there any doubt in your mind she was talking about the Dominiacn Republic and not the island of Dominica????????????? Get a life. Nothing nice to say don't say anything.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Ah, but Jerry

Those of us in the "Grammar Police" really get a kick out of educating people, in a friendly manner, of course.

The use of Dominican to refer to the whole country is lazy language usage, and we don't want that, do we? Hummmm?

We prefer the DR or the Dominican Republic, or even "your country" to the mis-use of Dominican, an adjective.

Jerry, you don't live in the United do you?

HB :D

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Here's Something Nicer

jerryme said:
Is there any doubt in your mind she was talking about the Dominiacn Republic and not the island of Dominica????????????? Get a life. Nothing nice to say don't say anything.

Mind yer own beezwax, jerryme, old buddy old pal, please, thanks. And it isn't "the states" capitalized or not. either. So now we know why you are offended, being partially literate vs. not understanding what to say. I am very sorry you are afflicted.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Get a Passport

Alexis said:
Well thanks so much Rick. I am from Toronto also...amateur...that's me!!...thats why I ask people like you!!..ha ha..thanks

It will also aid cashing travelers cheques and allow you to travel with less hassle truly. You can get them at the Victoria St. office in a week. Go other than Friday or Monday.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Come on HB!!! You KNOW the United can only refer to the airline or the football team MANCHESTER!!! He HAD to mean "The States" (note the capitals to show due respect to the US of A!).

Alexis. You will find all this sort of information in the archives (as pointed out to you on an earlier post). Try searches on keywords like 'passport', 'coming from Canada', 'visa requirements to DR'. 'Looking for a job', 'apartments', 'Getting around' might be good search areas for some of your other questions too! Come back if you REALLY get stuck. - Grahame.

Wannago

May 27, 2004
ricktoronto said:

QUOTE]

Ohhhh... so all this time when I said that I wanted to experience
"the Dominican", I was saying what I Really meant.. hmmm :)

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Hubba Hubba

Wannago said:
Ohhhh... so all this time when I said that I wanted to experience
"the Dominican", I was saying what I Really meant.. hmmm :)

Woo hoo! Hot stuff.

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
ricktoronto said:

I took a former g/f of mine to La Romana 2 years ago, and she traveled from Indianapolis to the DR using only her birth certificate. We stayed 26 days and there was never a problem with US or DR customs. Rick is right, even if you never expect to leave the US, a passport will come in handy at some point in your life. It is the ultimate form of identification. I have presented mine in some strange situations like, cashing checks, traffic stops, back up ID for a credit card purchase; it can bail you out in numerous instances.
Charlie