Choice

2time

Jul 2, 2004
I have a question for some of the regluars here...RIck,Lady,AZB,etc.....
If you could choose between police enforcing laws on prostitution which would hurt some of the tourist business...and also hurt the woman and men that depend on that money.
Or have them and the area shops suffer but live a cleaner life...

I just wonder because a lot of people here INCLUDING myself don't have a strong connection to DR or really know it's people. And some of the members here seem to want the best thing for DR and it's people. So which would be best cleaner living and less money or the other.

frank alvarez

Apr 13, 2004
Why not copy Amsterdam?

The oldest business in the world should be legalized everywhere. Why the hipocrisy since this goes on all over the planet, all the time. Why not copy Amsterdam?

Anyone that has been to Amsterdam can see that this business can be legitimate, clean, controlled and well run. I have never been able to understand why in the sex tourist areas like Boca Chica, Sosua and Puerto
Plata this cannot be copied. Heck, 75% of the 'girls' in Amsterdam are Dominican anyways; at least they were in the early 90's when I visited on several occasions.

emendoza

Mar 16, 2004
Since prostitution is legal in the DR, there are no laws to enforce, right? You mean should they outlaw it?

I know your'e not asking me since I've been there once, but one reason my husband & I chose Samana was to avoid the sex-scene which I heard is pretty obvious in Sosua & other places along the north coast. So in our case, the DR still got our tourist $ but the sex-industry helped drive us away from those areas (the flip side of your coin).

I wonder what % of the tourists go the DR go to intentionally partake in the sex-industry? Just curious how it compares to Thailand, Costa Rica, etc. Before this website, I didn't think the DR had a reputaiton for sex-tourism. How much $ would the DR loose if it was outlawed & laws enforced--is it that big of an industry there? I just dont' know.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
2time said:
If you could choose between police enforcing laws on prostitution which would hurt some of the tourist business...and also hurt the woman and men that depend on that money.

I just wonder because a lot of people here INCLUDING myself don't have a strong connection to DR or really know it's people. And some of the members here seem to want the best thing for DR and it's people. So which would be best cleaner living and less money or the other.

Sex tourism is not even a blip on the radar compared to regular tourism.

You are never going to stop prostitution, is comes from poverty and the DR has a lot of it (poverty).

* Many think prostitution is illegal in the DR, not true! Pimping or a third party making money is illegal.

* Many think child prostitution is born from tourism, not true! How many Dominican girls (13-16) do you know with kids from Dominicans? Plenty! It starts in the home and is more prevalent in Dominican families than many care to admit.

* Many think the brothels and massager parlors cater primarily to tourists, not true! Their client base is Dominicans, always has, always will be.

* Many of you think AZB and one or two others, including myself have very skewed views on prostitution, maybe! But? We see it, we breathe it, we live it.

I suggest some of you get informed?.

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
I agree with Frank, I have always thought that prostitution should be legally controlled throughout the world, by this I mean that male and female pros should be registered and regularly checked healthwise. I dont agree with the laws in Amsterdam, they have legalised certain areas of paedophillia, which I abhor. Prostitution is necessary, without it, there would be a lot more horrendous sexual crime. I have the deepest respect for prostitutes, they have a tough job.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
They Are

2time said:

It is not illegal so they are enforcing the non illegal-ness of it. They harass the street girls on vagrancy grounds not as working girls. You cannot ban this practice anywhere in the world - even China, Cuba, the Middle East all have brothels, the USA has it legal in Nevada and Canada it never was illegal to begin with, only pimping and procuring and aggfesive solicitation on the streets.

Why are you moralizing, and besides I am not sure the choice you are referring to is even a set of options?

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
2time said:

2time, of the 28 post you have made on this forum 96% have been related to finding a woman, taking women somewhere, what to do with her when you get her there, questions on how to do the things you want to do to her once you get her there, and then how to tell her good bye. Please do yourself a favor, try to get laid at least once before you go to the DR. I believe that even a little experience with women will help you in dealing with the professionals you meet in the DR.
Charlie

2time

Jul 2, 2004
chuckuindy said:
2time, of the 28 post you have made on this forum 96% have been related to finding a woman, taking women somewhere, what to do with her when you get her there, questions on how to do the things you want to do to her once you get her there, and then how to tell her good bye. Please do yourself a favor, try to get laid at least once before you go to the DR. I believe that even a little experience with women will help you in dealing with the professionals you meet in the DR.
Charlie

Well if I'm wrong then I'm wrong...but on this site DR1 on the home page it clearly says that it is illegal. So I was trying to inform myself.
Regardless besides for the little jabs at me nobody really answered my question on which is better for DR, instead of being insulting share your thoughts and enlighten people.

It is true that at first I asked some about finding ladies....because I thought that is what is was all about.....but as I learn more I may have been mistaken...Yet you do nothing to change people's POV when you just try to diss them....

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Yeah, no "dissing"

2time said:
Well if I'm wrong then I'm wrong...but on this site DR1 on the home page it clearly says that it is illegal. So I was trying to inform myself.
Regardless besides for the little jabs at me nobody really answered my question on which is better for DR, instead of being insulting share your thoughts and enlighten people.

It is true that at first I asked some about finding ladies....because I thought that is what is was all about.....but as I learn more I may have been mistaken...Yet you do nothing to change people's POV when you just try to diss them....

Nobody should "diss" . Well, if and when it becomes a real word that is.

Your best bet instead of arguing points about a place you've never been and a culture you've never experienced is to close it down for now, go there and try to experience various things and then report back with what you thought. And if you have a while before leaving get off your duff and cram some basic Spanish so you can communicate even a little bit. it is appreciated if you try and nobody will make fun of any attempts.

When is it you are going anyway?

2time

Jul 2, 2004
ricktoronto said:
Nobody should "diss" . Well, if and when it becomes a real word that is.

Your best bet instead of arguing points about a place you've never been and a culture you've never experienced is to close it down for now, go there and try to experience various things and then report back with what you thought. And if you have a while before leaving get off your duff and cram some basic Spanish so you can communicate even a little bit. it is appreciated if you try and nobody will make fun of any attempts.

When is it you are going anyway?

end of the month....dis is in webster's by the way....

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
2time said:

Okay no more dissin'

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
What's He Know - He's Dead (Webster)

2time said:
end of the month....dis is in webster's by the way....

is it in OXFORD? - **that's** English. Well normally I'd go at the end of this month and maybe even say howdy but I am going to Managua instead and won't hit the DR until September 1, a 3 1/4 month gap, the longest in 3 years.

So best of luck. You have 23 days with a good Spanish CD or book - I suggest the "Teach Yourself' series - get the grammar one and the vocabulary one and you'll be a hit. Seriously.

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Pimsleur CD

ricktoronto said:
So best of luck. You have 23 days with a good Spanish CD or book - I suggest the "Teach Yourself' series - get the grammar one and the vocabulary one and you'll be a hit. Seriously.

Pimsleur

10 lessons in ten days with the beginners CD's. I think it is great and now i am up to around 2,500 words in about 4 months, with the second addition.
Charlie

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Another Good One

I've heard of Pimsleur ( had it on my feet but the cream got rid of it) and for someone not just book learnin' inclined the CD and book combo may be a lot better. Since Spanish is so rules based I went for the grammar based approach instead but it isn't for everyone.

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
ricktoronto said:
I've heard of Pimsleur ( had it on my feet but the cream got rid of it) and for someone not just book learnin' inclined the CD and book combo may be a lot better. Since Spanish is so rules based I went for the grammar based approach instead but it isn't for everyone.

Yep - chair/black - black/chair - floor/wet - wef/floor

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
emendoza said:
Since prostitution is legal in the DR, there are no laws to enforce, right? You mean should they outlaw it?

Ladybird,

You are right, Emendoza answered the only question.