Absentee Voting

rubia_gringa

May 19, 2004
I was wondering what U.S. citizens living in the D.R. did about absentee voting? Do you have the ballots sent to your home in the D.R., or to the American Embassy, or what do you do? I'm trying to get things set up so that way I can vote in November's election from Santo Domingo. Thank you.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The Ebmbassy can give you forms and info. The absentee ballot goes to where you were last registered to vote.

rubia_gringa

May 19, 2004
Thanks, Ken....So, in theory, I could take care of all of the absentee ballot complications in September at the U.S. Embassy once I get down to the D.R.? I am concerned, because I am from MN and they only send out the absentee ballots 14 or 15 days prior to the election, at which time I will already be in Santo Domingo. I think I am going to head over to the Secretary of State's Elections Divisions Office this week, but I was wondering if Americans living in the D.R. vote at the Embassy or what do people normally do?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
mail ballot to US. Remember listening to the reports of voting and hear them talking about counting the ballots being sent from overseas. I recall, also, a flap in the last election because the absentee ballots from some servicemen overseas weren't handled exactly as they should have been so there was talk of throwing them out.

Follow your plan to talk with people in the elections office to get the correct info.

Miami

Jan 25, 2004
Got the scoop here in Florida

Hi,

My husband and I are voting absentee also and we are moving down in September also. I called Supervisor of Elections and they are going to send our ballots down to our DR address through the Miami EPS mail service utilized by the property manager at our rental.

I was advised that the foreign ballots will go in the mail six weeks prior to election so establishing a mail service will certainly expedite the ballot getting to you.

This method, obviously, will not work if you do not have a set address prior to leaving the U.S.

Good luck!

Miami

Jan 25, 2004
See you there

rubia_gringa said:
Thanks for all the advice, you guys. You're amazing :)

You are most welcome and we will probably see you in the DR ! You will note that I did not ask your leanings in this hot election! Hah... just respect people who care enough to vote! Hope your transition goes smoothly...Susan and George