Help- My Visa Is Late!!

LSimone

Jan 21, 2004
Please help- I applied for a visa to go to DR for a year and it's late! The consulate keeps telling me to wait but I leave this weekend. I have a gut feeling that it will not be ready (by the way I applied over 2 weeks ago!)

WHAT CAN/SHOULD I DO???? I need it because I purchasd a one way ticket!!! And I purchased a one-way ticket because I need to return to the U.S. June 25, 2005 and most airlines don't book that far! HELP HELP HELP!!! Can I do anything to expedite this process?

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
1. Get your passport back with, or without the visa
2. See if the USA will let you fly on a 1-way ticket. They may not care.
3. Have $20-$50 in USD for when you enter the DR, in case there is an issue. They may not care either.

The worst you have to do is change your ticket from one way to return. Probably the cost is not that different.

LSimone

Jan 21, 2004
adrianb said:
1. Get your passport back with, or without the visa
2. See if the USA will let you fly on a 1-way ticket. They may not care.
3. Have $20-$50 in USD for when you enter the DR, in case there is an issue. They may not care either.

The worst you have to do is change your ticket from one way to return. Probably the cost is not that different.

thank u so much for replying- the issue is the I am flying with american airlines and they say that they will refuse to let me board the plane if I do not have my visa.

and won't i get in trouble if i stay there for a year and work/study without a visa?

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Hefty Fine Payable

LSimone said:
thank u so much for replying- the issue is the I am flying with american airlines and they say that they will refuse to let me board the plane if I do not have my visa.

and won't i get in trouble if i stay there for a year and work/study without a visa?

If you go on a tourist visa and overstay **5** years the fine is RD$1000 or about $40. I think a year or so is about $5 to $8 US. Maybe the visa can arrive while you are there and you can have someone FedEx it. You will have to buy a round trip ticket , it doesn't have to be June 2005 return of course, since they won't know how long you plan to stay when you arrive and won't ask to see the ticket either - only AA will.

anonymous1960

Jul 7, 2004
Not a problem.

GET YOUR PASSPORT BACK. Consulate employees are monkeys.
Airline won't let you on the plane without a return ticket.
The very same day you leave, go to the AA counter and buy a Santo Domingo-San Juan ticket (get it refundable, about 100US$).

When you get your residency, reimburse it.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
What country are you from? Maybe you do not need a visa, but a tourist card. Many times people confuse the two.

LSimone

Jan 21, 2004
Dolores said:
What country are you from? Maybe you do not need a visa, but a tourist card. Many times people confuse the two.

I'm from the U.S. I will be working and studying in the DR. So far this is what I gather:

1) Buy a return ticket to the U.S.
2) Get a tourist card when I am in DR
3) Get a refund on my reurn ticket

***The Consulate says I can also apply for a visa while in the DR. The problem is that they are waiting to hear back from ppl in the DR.

But here is ym question- if I get a tourist card, knowing that I WILL study and work (this is an educational fellowship where I am creating and implementing a project)...will I get fined...isn't that a violation for 'tourists' to work?
Will I have trouble if I get a tourist card and then attempt to get a visa later?

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Never had a problem

I have purchased many one way tickets to and from the DR and never had a problem, or have ever been even questioned by American Airlines. The reason for me purchasing a one way ticket was that I would either arrive or depart the DR on my bosses Gulfstream Jet and then take a commercial flight home to Indianapolis or wherever my destination was. In fact I have on several occasions I have flown from London to La Romana on a one way ticket.

As Rick pointed out, if you stay longer than 15 days in the DR they will charge you $10 for an extended visa, whether you stay 16 days or 2 years. This is collected at the airport by DR customs officials when you leave the country. In my 40 or so trips to the DR the only thing that I have ever presented to any airlines or customs official in either the DR or US has been my passport. Any additional forms you will need will be supplied by the airlines while in-flight or by US and DR customs at the arrival sites.

Good luck and get your passport back NOW.
Charlie

Last edited:

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
LSimone said:
I'm from the U.S. I will be working and studying in the DR. So far this is what I gather:

1) Buy a return ticket to the U.S.
2) Get a tourist card when I am in DR
3) Get a refund on my reurn ticket

***The Consulate says I can also apply for a visa while in the DR. The problem is that they are waiting to hear back from ppl in the DR.

But here is ym question- if I get a tourist card, knowing that I WILL study and work (this is an educational fellowship where I am creating and implementing a project)...will I get fined...isn't that a violation for 'tourists' to work?
Will I have trouble if I get a tourist card and then attempt to get a visa later?

You don't have a problem, other than getting back your passport from the Consulate. Just come on down on and purchase a tourist card at the airport upon entrance. Just enter as a tourist coming for a vacation and then if the people you are working with see it necessary, apply for the student-work visa. This may not be necessary.

LSimone

Jan 21, 2004
Thanks guys!

Chuck you are so lucky. I actually called American Airlines and the reason I am all worked up is because they told me that they would refuse to let me board the plane if I do not have a visa since my ticket is one-way. Soooo...I guess i'll purchase a refundable return ticket just in case...arrrrggggghhhhh.

LSimone

Jan 21, 2004
by the way.....the Consulate actually never tok my passport....they just took 2 photocopies of my passport even though i asked them if they wanted my passport.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Then all your problems are solved! Just buy that refundable ticket to the cheapest destination you can find from the DR.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
LSimone said:

I have had my travel docs checked on this, and I remember being asked about it, although maybe it was on the DR side, I forget now. I am Australian, not American.

If Chuck says he's flown in many times 1 way, it should be ok. But why does AA say they won't let you on board? I'd do some more checking on that one before you go to the airport..

if you have a problem the SD-PR ticket sounds like a good option.

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
LSimone said:
Thanks guys!

Chuck you are so lucky. I actually called American Airlines and the reason I am all worked up is because they told me that they would refuse to let me board the plane if I do not have a visa since my ticket is one-way. Soooo...I guess i'll purchase a refundable return ticket just in case...arrrrggggghhhhh.

I don't get it. Call AA again and tell them you want to purchase a ticket to the DR. Tell the agent that it will be a one way ticket and you will be returning on a Pvt. aircraft in a few days.

They can not refuse you passage. It is none of the airlines business how long you will stay or when you will return. That is a govrnmental problem between the US and DR State Dept.'s.
Charlie

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
If you do not have a legal permit to live and work in the DR, the airline should request that you have a return ticket. DR migration may not ask for it, but the airline is more likely to ask for it. Always better to be safe and avoid any preventable hassles especially when traveling.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
chuckuindy said:
I don't get it. Call AA again and tell them you want to purchase a ticket to the DR. Tell the agent that it will be a one way ticket and you will be returning on a Pvt. aircraft in a few days.

They can not refuse you passage. It is none of the airlines business how long you will stay or when you will return. That is a govrnmental problem between the US and DR State Dept.'s.
Charlie

Interesting.... I have always thought it was a legal requirement to have a return ticket unless one has a permit to work or study/reside in the foreign country. Where does it state that the airlines do not have to enforce this? I'll try to do some asking around regarding whether airlines are going beyond their responsibility requesting the return ticket, but as far as I am aware they are acting correctly.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
chuckuindy said:

Charlie

Its been made an airline issue, not just a governmental problem. In the case of flying to the US, if someone flies in without a visa, the airline that flew them is held responsible for flying them back to the country of origin.

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Dolores said:
If you do not have a legal permit to live and work in the DR, the airline should request that you have a return ticket. DR migration may not ask for it, but the airline is more likely to ask for it. Always better to be safe and avoid any preventable hassles especially when traveling.

I forgot about the work permit thing, Dolores. But you know that I have steyed as long as 7mo. at Casa de Campo and was never questioned on exit as to why I was in the country for so long. They just seemed to be interested in geting my $10 bucause my "green", vias entry, card had expired.
Charlie

And the charge of the $10 fee on exit, just strted last year, as far as I know.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
chuckuindy said:
I forgot about the work permit thing, Dolores. But you know that I have steyed as long as 7mo. at Casa de Campo and was never questioned on exit as to why I was in the country for so long. They just seemed to be interested in geting my $10 bucause my "green", vias entry, card had expired.
Charlie

And the charge of the $10 fee on exit, just strted last year, as far as I know.

There is a US$20 departure fee as of this year, before was US$10. Yes, the government has been lax in allowing foreigners to work and live in this country illegally.

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
adrianb said:
Its been made an airline issue, not just a governmental problem. In the case of flying to the US, if someone flies in without a visa, the airline that flew them is held responsible for flying them back to the country of origin.

Adrianb, I just checked and on Feb. 23rd, I left the DR on AA #274 to Miami after entering the DR by Pvt. aircraft on Dec. 28, 2003.

We deadhead pilots all the time to save expense if the boss is staying for and extended time. The aircraft sits in the DR to save fule cost on the deadhead back to Indy and return to the DR. The cost of keeping 3 crewmembers on the ground in Casa de Campo, is far greater having them stay. They buy one way tickets because with 8 pilots the originating crew may not be the ones returning.
Charlie