Toyota Sienna

Maxster

Nov 13, 2003
Family and I will be moving to our new house in Sosua mid Aug and will need to buy a vehicle.

We are looking to buying a new Toyota Sienna LE minivan - there is only 3 of us but maybe more on the way!

Can anyone reccommend honest dealers? If someone don't mind calling a dealer what is the retail price for the LE model or even the XLE with leather. Scott you around, couldn't get a hold of you when I came down to close the house in May.

Thanks everyone.

Brian.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Toyota

Maxster said:
Family and I will be moving to our new house in Sosua mid Aug and will need to buy a vehicle.

We are looking to buying a new Toyota Sienna LE minivan - there is only 3 of us but maybe more on the way!

Can anyone reccommend honest dealers? If someone don't mind calling a dealer what is the retail price for the LE model or even the XLE with leather. Scott you around, couldn't get a hold of you when I came down to close the house in May.

Thanks everyone.

Brian.

My friends and I have purchased a combined 30+ vehicles from Espaillat motors in Moca in the past few years.
They are honest and very helpful and may even be able to get you the best price on the vehicle you want, but there may be an issue about guarantee work if you don't buy it from the actual Toyota dealer.
This is something you would have to look into.
If you want their numbers and contact names, PM or e-mail me and I will send them to you. (The sales manager speaks English)
As best as I know, the Peynado family are the official Toyota importers and they sell them from their "Delta Comercial" dealerships.
I'll see what other details I can find out for you, later on today.

T

TiberiusMineola

Why new??

I suggest that you consider buying a 1, 2 3 year old Sienna. New cars, esp. from the 'authorized' dealers, are outrageously expensive here. Suggestions: 1. check the Listin classifieds every day; somebody always has to sell a 1 - 3 year old car for some reason. 2. Find a large bank & find out how many cars it has repossessed in the last 6 months. Leave your name & the hint of a bribe. 3. There are 2, I think, on line, DR used & new car services. 4. I've found that Santo Domingo & Santiago are the best places to buy used cars. 5. Try, really insist, on a diesel engine; usually readily available on most models; low maintenance & vastly superior fuel economy. Gas is expensive in the DR. Good hunting!

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Pardon me

TiberiusMineola said:
I suggest that you consider buying a 1, 2 3 year old Sienna. New cars, esp. from the 'authorized' dealers, are outrageously expensive here. Suggestions: 1. check the Listin classifieds every day; somebody always has to sell a 1 - 3 year old car for some reason. 2. Find a large bank & find out how many cars it has repossessed in the last 6 months. Leave your name & the hint of a bribe. 3. There are 2, I think, on line, DR used & new car services. 4. I've found that Santo Domingo & Santiago are the best places to buy used cars. 5. Try, really insist, on a diesel engine; usually readily available on most models; low maintenance & vastly superior fuel economy. Gas is expensive in the DR. Good hunting!
For disagreeing a bit here.
I personally have found that Moca, La Vega and Santiago have better deals on cars than Santo Domingo. Who knows why? But that has been my observation.
Then there's the "new car vs used car" aspect.
If you can afford a new car, that's the way to go.
You're not inheriting anybody's problems.
If you can't afford new, then there are lots of deals available, of course, but there's nothing like having a full guarantee and the reliability of a new vehicle.
Finally "gas vs diesel".
I hate slow poke vehicles and most diesels are. When you are driving accross the mountains and get stuck behind a slow truck and your mushamatic diesel does not have the accelaration to safely pass the vehicle ahead of you before the next curve, then there you stay, chewing up his fumes, blind as a bat from the giant vehicle ahead, frustrated, watching your blood pressure climb, and finally, pulling out and taking a chance with your life by passing somewhere where you shouldn't and risking a head on collision.
I didn't move to this country to get stressed out and having a slow poke car takes all the fun out of driving.
Contrary to what was written above, gas is not expensive in the DR. It is close to the same price as in the US and half the price as most places in Europe.
We pay approx. 95 pesos per gallon for regular gas here, which is equivalent to approx. $2 US.
If you are considering how long the vehicle's motor will last you, then maybe the diesel engine will last longer, but then again, it's a Toyota and a gas engine is usually good for 300,000 plus miles. So if you think you that's not enough, then maybe a diesel is a better choice. Otherwise, you may as well enjoy the 300,000 miles in a gas powered vehicle, driving around enjoying our country's beautiful scenery rather than staring at a truck's bumper.

Last edited:

DomLou

Jun 10, 2004
website

You might want to check out supercarros.com for an idea of the prices of some vehicles. You can also check out different areas on the website and see for yourself which area seems to be the cheapest/best for buying cars. As far as the diesel v gas goes, it's really a personal preference. Each has distinct advantages and disadvantages. Diesel is pokier, gas quicker; diesel slightly cheaper, gas slightly more expensive; diesel gets better gas mileage usually, gas worse. However, if you are doing lots of driving, especially with children in the car, or wqith more than 2 people (where the car is heavier and thus slower to begin with) you dont want to risk it around curves, and I think gas may be the better option overall. However, again, its obviously your personal preference. Good luck!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Personally, I would never buy a new car here. It will have depreciated greatly by the time you get it off the selling site, but my main concern would be the stress engendered by trying to keep it scratch free, not just in driving but in where you choose to park. I drive a 1988 Dodge Ram Raider Jeepeta, bought from an Irish mechanic (i.e engine in very good shape) & I had a new chassis made up & fitted by our local mechanic (only 30,000 pesos) & it drives like a TANK, really solid. The odd scratch I get is unimportant because the jeep was old to start with.
Just a personal view to throw into the melting pot.......

DomLou

Jun 10, 2004
Lambada said:
but my main concern would be the stress engendered by trying to keep it scratch free, not just in driving but in where you choose to park. ...
How true this is. Cars get beat up very quickly and easily on the exterior. They are also constantly getting dirty as pot holes are everywhere, and dust and often mud gets all over your car. If money isnt an object, go new, just know it wont look showroom condition for long...

Maxster

Nov 13, 2003
DomLou said:
How true this is. Cars get beat up very quickly and easily on the exterior. They are also constantly getting dirty as pot holes are everywhere, and dust and often mud gets all over your car. If money isnt an object, go new, just know it wont look showroom condition for long...

I agree with buying used but we are going to have enough things to adjust to, the possibility of an unreliable vehicle is just not worth the savings first time around. Especially since we will be driving our 4 year old to POP for Montessori every school day. I used to be overly concerned about scratches and scraps on my cars but not as much any more - after a little steam it really doesn't matter.

Rocky can you verify about the warranty work if purchased through MOCA dealer - we met you at your bar when we were down in May, we are from London Ontario.

Also can anyone give actual figures as to how much more the Sienna cost in DR - on toyota.com MSRP is $24KUS for LE, $29KUS for the XLE.

Once we arrive the car is the first priority.

Thanks.

Brian.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Prices & guarantee.

Maxster said:
Rocky can you verify about the warranty work if purchased through MOCA dealer - we met you at your bar when we were down in May, we are from London Ontario.

Also can anyone give actual figures as to how much more the Sienna cost in DR - on toyota.com MSRP is $24KUS for LE, $29KUS for the XLE.

I'll check it out later today and get back to you.
Marco.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The scoop.

The Toyota Sienna is NOT imported new in this country.
The folks at Espaillat in Moca tell me that there is a Nissan model that is similar, I think it's called a Morano, and it sells for 45 grand.
I asked The Manager to look into any nearly new Siennas and to get back to me.
I'll let you know if he finds anything decent, if it interests you.
Marco.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Maxster said:
Especially since we will be driving our 4 year old to POP for Montessori every school day.

Why would you drive into Puerto Plata each day if you have a bilingual school in Sosua? My sons went to what is regarded as the best Montessori schools in Santo Domingo (preschool and 1-6 grade school) and I definitely don't think the advantages of the system is worth subjecting the child to the commute every day.

Last edited:

JDub

Apr 7, 2003
Rocky said:
The Toyota Sienna is NOT imported new in this country.
The folks at Espaillat in Moca tell me that there is a Nissan model that is similar, I think it's called a Morano, and it sells for 45 grand.
I asked The Manager to look into any nearly new Siennas and to get back to me.
I'll let you know if he finds anything decent, if it interests you.
Marco.
The Nissan Murano is nothing like a Sienna, but you are only going by what the guy told you. The Murano is more of a hybrid SUV/Sports car. It's nice, but I wouldn't consider it as a alternative to the Sienna unless you really like it. The Nissan Quest would be a good alternative to the Sienna and is priced from US$24,000-$32,000. Hope you find what you lookin for.

Maxster

Nov 13, 2003
Dolores: We looked at the 3 schools in Sosua but because our daughter has being in Montessori since she was 2 years old. And we feel the material from the International school may not be challenging enough for our particular daughter. And going to the same system with the exact same teaching material would be better since we are making a big change. Also I plan to play golf in POP 3 or 4 times a week so it makes the drive less of a chore. I have driven from SD to Punta Cana, POP to Samana, and Sousa to Santiago and I don't find the driving that bad. And the road condition from the airport to POP is very good with few potholes - my mother in law even said the road looks like any road in Canada!

Rocky: Thank you for your time - if the Sienna is not available new (1998 is too old) maybe we should look at an Honda Odyssey, and maybe there will be some that are just slightly used.

Thanks again.

Brian.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Hey Brian,
I was in the States from the 16th of May to the 17th of June because my wife was being difficult and wouldnt take my daughter to the Airport on the 17th and insisted I travel with her which I did.

Call me when you arrive. 223-1178

Scott