Samana, Las Terrenas & Las Galeras ?

Angelita

Jun 4, 2003
I was wondering if anyone can tell me the difference in these three places? My husband and I want to stay somewhere, where we can enjoy beautiful beaches, rent a jeep and explore, yet have options for restaurants and dancing in the evening. Which of the 3 places is best for what we are after. We don't want to be caged up in an all inclusive hotel, we want to wander around, day & evening.

Also, does anyone know of any good hotels preferably, on the beachfront there seems to be alot, but it's nice to get a referral!!

Gracias!
Angelita

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Angelita said:
I was wondering if anyone can tell me the difference in these three places? My husband and I want to stay somewhere, where we can enjoy beautiful beaches, rent a jeep and explore, yet have options for restaurants and dancing in the evening. Which of the 3 places is best for what we are after. We don't want to be caged up in an all inclusive hotel, we want to wander around, day & evening.

Also, does anyone know of any good hotels preferably, on the beachfront there seems to be alot, but it's nice to get a referral!!

Gracias!
Angelita
Hi Angelita,
All 3 are on the water, although the town of Samana itself doesn't have much beach area, but there are some interesting tours and hotels there.
Las Terenas and Las Galeras have unending beaches and lots of isolated areas. If you are renting a jeep, you can tour around all 3 and more.

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
A friend just came back from Las Terrenas yesterday and said there are no power cuts there at all???? anyone know why?, noone has to bother with backup power, , if so this would be a great place to be Angelita, I hope u have a great time, it supposed to be very beautiful.

Angelita

Jun 4, 2003
really?

Hmmm, that is something I did not even think of. Do they have generators? So power is ok there? What about hot water, have been to too many non-all inclusive hotels that run out of hot water, cold showers are not fun :confused:

Angelita

Jun 4, 2003
hotels?

any idea about good Hotels? I am hearing alot about Playa Colibri, so I have emailed them to check availability? Any other suggestions?

:cheeky:

dontuseEltour

Feb 2, 2003
try the playa colibri in las terranas it is has great rates great acomadation you can hit the sea with a rock the staff will help you with any needs did i say it was great lol.
Really it was a good place about 45 units nice grounds has a web site , resturant and is out off town just far enough about 10 min walk or 3 min moto concho ride.
car rental in town or atv-scooter you name it. we had a couple of power outages while there on in the evening one about mid day and yes hot water can be kinnda scares some times. go to sucha salai spelling is prolly wrong but it's a great bake shop fresh bread every day opens at 7 am .

dontuseEltour

Feb 2, 2003
didn't see where you where travelling from but they booked the flight for us from SDQ to el portillo was $65 us per person on the regular flight leaves about 4 pm or you can get you own plane for a total of $190ususally hold 4 people also the bus is only $7us but is a 4 hr trip the staff at colibri will set it all up for you they were very helpfull.

ustelephone

Mar 31, 2004
www.ecoislandadventures.com
I stayed in Las Galeras about 2 months ago. There were 2 nice hotels that we passed on ($150 per night) and ended up in a small $50 per night place.

The beaches were the cleanest, most beautiful I've seen anywhere in the DR. The road to get there is paved the whole way. The little hotel we were in had A/C, NO TV, salt water (cold), and was generally miserable. There 2 or 3 places to eat, nothing special. The tourists were strange and we saw alot of male couples. The business owners were extreme bigots; they treated my Dominican wife (morena) like an outcast. Most of them were european, not Dominican. I was traveling with another couple who are Dominican, and they said later that we should have gone to Las Terenas. They say there is much more to do and at a much more reasonable price. The only thing nice there was the beach, and it rained the whole weekend. Also, there is no such thing as night life in Las Galeras.

stan chapman

Nov 28, 2002
I agree, in part.

Las Galeras has little night life, unless you know the ex pats there. Yes, most are European, but many have Dominican spouses or partners. I can think of one guy who has strong opinions about mixed race children & no hesitation voicing them, but that type of person can be found in any country in my experience. Even he is actually a pretty regular guy, for an ex pat, once you get past the issue of children. I think it takes a fairly special type of person to be an ex pat, long time resident, in Las Galeras. Heck, I'm an ex pat too come to think of it, but the Las Galeras crowd took some getting used to. Great beaches, no problem with Jeep or Motorbike or Quad rentals. My advice, rent a cottage, or an aparthotel. All the well water in LG is brackish, but bottled water is cheap. E Mail me if you want any specifics.

Lot's of night life in Las Terrenas, also good beaches towards El Portillo, but it's a bit too frenetic for my taste. ( I'm an old fart) Stan.

hayleyann

Sep 28, 2004
I was planning on going to Samana in January and had thought of staying in LG as it sounds beautiful, and might be a good base from where to dive and whale watch. Would you agree? and if so can you recommend somewhere reasonable to stay there.

Thanks

Hayley

stan chapman said:
Las Galeras has little night life, unless you know the ex pats there. Yes, most are European, but many have Dominican spouses or partners. I can think of one guy who has strong opinions about mixed race children & no hesitation voicing them, but that type of person can be found in any country in my experience. Even he is actually a pretty regular guy, for an ex pat, once you get past the issue of children. I think it takes a fairly special type of person to be an ex pat, long time resident, in Las Galeras. Heck, I'm an ex pat too come to think of it, but the Las Galeras crowd took some getting used to. Great beaches, no problem with Jeep or Motorbike or Quad rentals. My advice, rent a cottage, or an aparthotel. All the well water in LG is brackish, but bottled water is cheap. E Mail me if you want any specifics.

Lot's of night life in Las Terrenas, also good beaches towards El Portillo, but it's a bit too frenetic for my taste. ( I'm an old fart) Stan.

hayleyann

Sep 28, 2004
I was planning on going to Samana in January and had thought of staying in LG as it sounds beautiful, and might be a good base from where to dive and whale watch. Would you agree? and if so can you recommend somewhere reasonable to stay there.

Thanks

Hayley

stan chapman said:

Gregg

Apr 26, 2004
Good Hotel Las Galeras

last month, we stayed in Las Galeras at:

Hotel Lucitania at the Plaza Lucitania
809-538-0093

Large housekeeping corner unit on second floor with balcony. One queen and two single beds. Kitchenette and nice bathroom. All well maintained and clean.

$45 US per night, just 1/2 block from beach. Italian owner, real sweetheart. Restaurant in plaza is very good. Prices are mid-range. Excellent pizza.

Full back up generator. Good supermarkets just a few doors down. Not a big nightlife. Beach is incredible. Quiet area. some English spoken.

smaller rooms may be less money but do not have air conditioning. setup for good ventilation though.

WebDev

Jan 1, 2002
samana.net
Gregg said:
last month, we stayed in Las Galeras at:

Hotel Lucitania at the Plaza Lucitania
809-538-0093

Large housekeeping corner unit on second floor with balcony. One queen and two single beds. Kitchenette and nice bathroom. All well maintained and clean.

$45 US per night, just 1/2 block from beach. Italian owner, real sweetheart. Restaurant in plaza is very good. Prices are mid-range. Excellent pizza.

Full back up generator. Good supermarkets just a few doors down. Not a big nightlife. Beach is incredible. Quiet area. some English spoken.

smaller rooms may be less money but do not have air conditioning. setup for good ventilation though.

Plaza Lucitania is a good place, we stay there in April this year, but we found one other gem, Casa Lotus, next door to Villa Serena. We found the place by driving around in the village, and asking for "rooms for rent". Ocean front property with 3 double rooms and one apartment, for the same price as Plaza Lucitania, but is more secluded.

We stay at this place in August 2004 for 2 days, and we will go back again soon(maybe November), the hurricane Jeanne did not afect them at all.

The boats for Playa Rincon will pick you up from the small beach at Villa Serena, just let Teresa (Casa Lotus) arange the details, she speak perfect English plus other 3 or 4 language.

Do a search on Google for Casa Lotus in Las Galeras, I am sure they have a website, phone #809-538-0119

WebDev

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
WebDev said:
Plaza Lucitania is a good place, we stay there in April this year, but we found one other gem, Casa Lotus, next door to Villa Serena. We found the place by driving around in the village, and asking for "rooms for rent". Ocean front property with 3 double rooms and one apartment, for the same price as Plaza Lucitania, but is more secluded.

We stay at this place in August 2004 for 2 days, and we will go back again soon(maybe November), the hurricane Jeanne did not afect them at all.

The boats for Playa Rincon will pick you up from the small beach at Villa Serena, just let Teresa (Casa Lotus) arange the details, she speak perfect English plus other 3 or 4 language.

Do a search on Google for Casa Lotus in Las Galeras, I am sure they have a website, phone #809-538-0119

WebDev

We have stayed there as well, as a treat when my parents came to visit. It is a beautiful and peaceful place. I don't think there is a website though.