Property Prices Escalating in Samana

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Kim Beddall told me in a phone conversation last night that property prices are escalating in Samana. Not just waterfront and ocean-view property, but even rural property without road access. She is thinking about buying a small finca (farm) and was amazed how much more expensive property is than a year ago.

There are two reasons, she said:

1. People are speculating in the belief the highway between Samana and Santo Domingo will be completed.

2. Given the sharp decline in the value of the peso and the uncertainty about the future, people are investing in land.

She said it is not just area people who are snapping up the land, but people from all over the DR. Also foreign investors.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I didn't get all the details, but I believe she said the asking price was RD$20,000-30,000/tarea. One large property she is interested in is asking RD$20,000/tarea. No direct road access, except through somebody else's property. She is going to offer RD$10,000 and see what happens.

If you have more than a passing interest, send her an email at kim.beddall@usa.net

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Someone please refresh my memory. How big is a tarea in comparison to an acre? Is it 1/7 of an acre??
Larry

quejeyoke

Jun 20, 2004
I would hold for a minute on the purchase of property in Samana to see what the long term health/ecology effects will be since some PR/DR scum bags decided to dump a couple tons of toxic "RockAsh" in the Samana area for the wind to kick up and the locals to breathe and which have quite a few local kids developing lung problems as we speak. This "ash" was dumped on DR soil supposedly to be used to pave roads and fill pot holes,... how nice of PR..!! But as we all know... money talks, B.S. walks, in the DR.

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
As soon as they see gringo faces the sellers go crazy.

I had to forget about buying some (agricultural) land last month because the price went from 700000 to 1500000 when the seller realized it was not a Dominican that was going to buy..

The positive thing is that even at 20000 a tarea in Samana, it only gives you a 30 pesos a sqm for a piece of land where you can build and which sooner or later will go up.

Barnab?

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Buy........Land all you can afford!

Land prices here in the DR. are very affordable! Buy all you can! Gringo or not the prices can not be beat.......and remember this, They are not maling it any more!
Prices will go up and you can not lose period.

I started buying up all the land I could afford 16 years ago for a song and I'm still buying all the deals I can get my hands on.....

When I started buying Beach Front property years ago farmers were giving it away as ther was no use for it because the cattle they had did not like it on the Beach.

Today it is worth between $35.00 and up to $100.00 a Meter depeding on location.

Gringo

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Checked again with Kim on land prices. She said that if you are buying:

a. 100 tareas or more in the campo, the going price is RD$20-30,000/tarea

b. A few tareas, no ocean view, the going price is RD$40-60,000. But you can still get nice views of mountains, etc.

c. Ocean front/ocean view, the going price at present is RD70-100,000/tarea.

Maxster

Nov 13, 2003
Ken said:
Checked again with Kim on land prices. She said that if you are buying:

a. 100 tareas or more in the campo, the going price is RD$20-30,000/tarea

b. A few tareas, no ocean view, the going price is RD$40-60,000. But you can still get nice views of mountains, etc.

c. Ocean front/ocean view, the going price at present is RD70-100,000/tarea.

Ken,

Where do you reccommend beautiful oceanfront or beachfront property in Samana bay where you can moor (even anchor) a sailboat close by - planning to buy a boat in a year or two. Maybe in 5 years or so build a house on the property but would like to buy the land now as I am sure the land will rise in price.

Looking at what is happening to prices in Sosua, Caberete and Punta Cana - I may not be able to afford good oceanfront land in 5 years.

Brian.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Maxster, forget anchoring the boat in front of your house. It is not permitted. The DR is much more stringent on boat use, etc., than are the US, Canada, and the other islands of the Caribbean. If in Samana, you will need to keep your boat in Samana harbor. Partly that is for your own protection. A boat anchored or moored in front of your house wouldn't be there long; it would be on its way to Puerto Rico with a load of Dominicans.