DR power system collapsed? any light at the end of the tunnel?

tradexguy

Jun 29, 2004
Does anybody have any idea of what the exact, not what government's spokemen say, but the real, true situation of the power crisis? It usually lasted a few days and when money was poured into generators pockets we had "LUZ" again...

Any conspiracy theory thinker out there who knows more than what is being said on the news?

JR

T

TiberiusMineola

Nuclear Power Plant!! THE Only Answer!!

A friend with a very good managment job with a local [ie Punta Cana] plant told me that 1 nuclear power plan could serve all of the electricity needs of the DR for 50 - 75 years. Why not? Where? Djabon - Monte Cristi, perferably on Hiatian soil. Who? An international consortium [ie North America, Northern Europe, & Asia]. No DR participation, employees, taxes, or government regulation!! What a bonanza!!
Dolores, should'nt DR1, officially or unofficially, get the ball rolling. Nuclear provides @ 30% of the power in Germany. How stupid or suicidal are the Germans? Local leadership badly needed. Leonel might buy it. Haiti would surely approve. Vicitmed electricity users of the DR, UNITE!! [a little bit like Karl Marx]. The revolution is near at hand!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Not nuclear, please

the cost alone would guarantee the poverty for another 200 years! And the debris? the "spent fuel rods" ? :( no thanks

Now where we have this much sun and wind and vegetation.

Oh yes, just where are you proposing that this Nuke be placed? That is near which of the hundreds of known fault lines??? A nice 7.5 or 8 at a nuke site might really get the world's attention...

In Germany, the sun hardly shines, they have winters, and ugly weather....

No Nukes!!

HB

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
John

wind, solar, hydro, biogas are cheap renwable and low tec. Why would anyone consider the cost of nuclear.
JOhn

El Belga

Feb 17, 2004
www.betranslated.com
TiberiusMineola said:
1 nuclear power plan could serve all of the electricity needs of the DR for 50 - 75 years. Why not?

Because Dominicans are not Germans, nor Americans or Russians... How do you want Dominicans to run a nuclear power plant when they are unable to manage traditionals systems ? I like Dominicans, but one has to be aware they are not the most technically efficient people in the world... and that the security is not realy the main concern of anyone in this country. I hear everyday about people dying, trying to repair their car under the rain, or any kind of electrical device.

I they happen to open ONE SMALL power plant in this country, I swear I take my family under my arm and I rush as far as possible. No joke. Even in yola if there is no other solution it's less dangerous than letting some "?ames" deciding on the security of this island. There is already enough dangers here with the conchos, the AMET, Hipolito, the government, the crazy bastards shooting at people just for averything or for nothing, the flloodings, the huricanes, the earthquakes (did I forget something ? Sure I did...). But I still love living here (must be a little bit crazy, but not enough to live in a country where nuclear power is mixed with Dominican technicality.

Thebes

Jun 18, 2004
Nuclear power is a big enough problem in a first world country, do you really want this in the DR??!!?? I don't see any way of ensuring that it is safe long term. Keep in mind what happens if theres a breech in the containment... basically say good-bye to Hispanola.

Solar and wind are good. Biofuels could be good and a lot cheaper (ie producing biodiesel from algae oils). A while back I saw a proposed power system the used the temperature variations at different ocean depths, it was still being built I think.

gmiller261

Dec 29, 2002
Hydrogen fuel cells

The US has no choice but to change. There will always be SUV owners but they will be paying European prices. (5 years)

http://www.corporate-ir.net/ireye/ir_site.zhtml?ticker=fcel&script=400

And yes this is a methanol/LPG unit. 250KW. But they also have ethanol PME fuel cells. They just use Brugal to create the hydrogen.

We just have to convince the Bushs and Chenneys of the world they can make loads of money in hydrogen.

Gary

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Here is something I just picked up today

The DR has enough available wind energy to produce 5 x demand!!

The DR has enough natural gas to last for 200 years of energy production.

It is possible that the private sector will be the ones to exploit this.

Keep watching...I am.

HB

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
TiberiusMineola said:
A friend with a very good managment job with a local [ie Punta Cana] plant told me that 1 nuclear power plan could serve all of the electricity needs of the DR for 50 - 75 years.

That statement is wrong. It is true that 2 modern nuclear power plants could provide enough energy to meet today's 3rd world level minute demand. But it sure as heck is not enough for even 2 years.

Look at it this way. If you want the DR to become a 1st world nation, then in 30 years or so the DR would closer to 50 Nuclear power plants. If we are going to make important, technical assertions...and you want to be taken seriously...please make sure you post with forethought.

Last edited:

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Hillbilly said:

HB

Are we exploiting natural gas anywhere? I thought we were importing all the gas we use.

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
mondongo said:
That statement is wrong. It is true that 2 modern nuclear power plants could provide enough energy to meet today's 3rd world level minute demand. But it sure as heck is not enough for even 2 years.

Look at it this way. If you want the DR to become a 1st world nation, then in 30 years or so the DR would closer to 50 Nuclear power plants. If we are going to make important, technical assertions...and you want to be taken seriously...please make sure you post with forethought.

Electricity production in DR in 2001 was 9000 millions Kwh.
The Cattenom nuclear plant (4 reactors I think)in France produced 34000 millions Kwh in 1999.
With 2 plants like this DR would have same ratio kwh/capita as France (or Singapore).
DR would need 3 like this to have same as in the States.
(Figures from the CIA website)

It might be time then to relocate to the Samoa.

Barnab?

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
here is how I came up with 50.

1) 1 Modern nuclear reactor --> approx 8,000,000 MegaWattHours per year = 8e12

2) DR Population --> approx 8million

3) divide --> DR Per capita energy from 1 reactor = 1 MegaWattHour per year. Using readily availble numbers (which I believe are understated by a long shot), USA per capita = 13 MegaWattHours per year.

4) This yields 13 Nuclear Reactors to bring up the DR to the level of the USA.

5) Energy consumption increases with increasing GDP. If you believe the DR will experience above norm growth...this facto alone could increase energy consumption by a factor of 2.

6) Add another facto for population growth in those 30 years and you get a number that is close to 50 reactors in 30 years. Not counting those that will have to be replaced.

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
Mondongo,

I agree with your figures, just I said 3 plants like Cattenom (that is with 4 reactors), hence 12 reactors.

Barnab?

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
Hillbilly said:
The DR has enough available wind energy to produce 5 x demand!!

It is possible that the private sector will be the ones to exploit this.

Keep watching...I am.

HB

Does the DR actually have natural gas production at this time? What part of the country?

KrackedKris

On Vacation!
Apr 8, 2004
TiberiusMineola said:
A friend with a very good managment job with a local [ie Punta Cana] plant told me that 1 nuclear power plan could serve all of the electricity needs of the DR for 50 - 75 years. Why not? Where? Djabon - Monte Cristi, perferably on Hiatian soil. Who? An international consortium [ie North America, Northern Europe, & Asia]. No DR participation, employees, taxes, or government regulation!! What a bonanza!!
Dolores, should'nt DR1, officially or unofficially, get the ball rolling. Nuclear provides @ 30% of the power in Germany. How stupid or suicidal are the Germans? Local leadership badly needed. Leonel might buy it. Haiti would surely approve. Vicitmed electricity users of the DR, UNITE!! [a little bit like Karl Marx]. The revolution is near at hand!!

The only way the DR is going to see Nuke plants in this lifetime is if the "Big E" or similar anchor offshore and throw you a large extension cord