Gym situation in Sosua

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Did the new gym open in Sosua, or is Golden Park the only one? Also, is the Golden Park east or west of the Trade Winds? - Thanks - D

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Golden Park is the only Gym in Sosua. It is located just East of Sosua on the South side of the street. There is a big sign, so you cannot miss it. The price is $700 RD per month.
Phone 571-1185.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Danny, it is west of Tradewinds. It is on the edge of Sosua as you go toward the Tradewinds. Big sign on the corner where you turn to go to gym. You can't miss it. You can also see the gym from the road and it, too, has a big sign on it.

The asking price is RD$700/month if you want to use the treadmills and bikes downstairs plus the machines upstairs. If just the machines, RD$500. First time you go, you pay double as an initiation fee, but just the price quoted above after that.

I'm there most days around 11am.

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Is there a daily or weekly rate for those of us who will not be there to take advantage of an entire month?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Danny, if you are coming from Tradewinds, it is a very easy walk. Yesterday I walked from the gym to CeduComp in the plaza between Tradewinds and the Carwash, passing Tradewinds enroute. Short walk from Tradewinds.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
toneloc24 said:
Is there a daily or weekly rate for those of us who will not be there to take advantage of an entire month?

Those rate are pretty expensive compared to the monthly rate. 200 pesos a day or 600 pesos a week.

sunnyvillas

Blocked due to spamming
Apr 29, 2003
If you are staying at the Paraiso de Colon hotel and suites, they offer a free use of gym. It is a very nice, clean and reasobale proeprty also.
Hope that helps

sunnyvillas

Blocked due to spamming
Apr 29, 2003
OOOPs, I mean resonable property.
My hands are quicker than my brain, don't even go there :cheeky:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
sunnyvillas said:
OOOPs, I mean resonable property.
My hands are quicker than my brain, don't even go there :cheeky:

OOOPs again, sunnyvillas. You mean reasonable property.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Does anybody know if the gym are open tomorrow and monday due to the special hollidays ?

mullinsca

Sep 10, 2003
Gym Situation

As an almost daily user of Golden Park Gym, I would like to clear up a few issues about the gym. A new price structure is going into effect. The price is no longer 500 pesos for the weight room upstairs and no longer 700 pesos for both floors (bottom floor containing cardio equipment). The new price is 700 pesos for the weight room upstairs and 1200 pesos for both floors. There is also a 600 peso membership fee for new users. Also guests of the Paraiso De Colon are no longer allowed to use the gym for free. I know for us this is a big increase . Especially since we dont see any new equipment or any other changes to make up for these new charges. If any one out there knows of another gym in the area, please let us all know as we are a little concerned about the new pricing structure.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Tor said:
Does anybody know if the gym are open tomorrow and monday due to the special hollidays ?

Judy told me the gym would be open tomorrow, Friday, and that she would know tomorrow if it will be open on Monday. But tomorrow for sure.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
mullinsca said:
As an almost daily user of Golden Park Gym.

Wow, I'm an almost daily user, too, but wasn't aware until I saw your post about the increase. I have to pay tomorrow so it looks like I'll get hit with the increase immediately.

When do you go to the gym. I'm usually there in the 11-12 time period. I wonder if we have met and don't know we aer both on dr1.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I would be very hesitant to pay for the next month as I was in the Gym this morning and there was talk of it being for sale and closing soon. Also, very few people will pay this price, so the place is doomed anyway. They are just plain greedy, as they pay the help next to nothing when they get around to paying, which is rare. If you think this is not true ask the people that work there and find out. BE CAREFUL.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
SKY, the gym has been for sale for a very long time.

There is a rumor that a new gym might be opening at Kite Beach on the Sosua side of Cabarete.

Prices raised last year about this time. Upstairs went from RD$300 to RD$500. Los of doom and gloom talk then, too. More foreigners now than ever before, but less Dominicans.

That jump downstairs to RD$1200 is a killer. I look for a decrease there, especially now there are some exercise bikes upstairs plus the rowing machines to warm up on and for cardio.