Ibersotar Costa Dorada - Help

StephenRawling

Jul 12, 2004
This is my first post, so i will keep it short and sweet.

I am travelling to Iberostar costa dorada on 31st August 2004 and staying for 2 weeks, could anyone let me know what the hotel is like? has anyone stayed there before, and also what is the weather normally like in this area at this time of the year.

Any information, advice or tips would be very appreciated,

Thanks

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Pop Bad Boy is more or less right (IMHO),

POP Bad Boy said:
..........it is the best hotel in Puerto Plata. .....the weather is HOT.

ICD is certainly one of the best. I have spent two weeks there in the past.

POst, e-mail or PM specific Questions and I (or others) will respond.

Gregg

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
FireGuy said:
ICD is certainly one of the best. I have spent two weeks there in the past.

POst, e-mail or PM specific Questions and I (or others) will respond.

Gregg

And BOY, do they remeber him!!! You don't go mentioning HIS name around there!! Hi, Gregg, when is you next trip down????

Costa Dorada is just up the road from me in Puerto Plata so if you want me to pick you up for that round of golf, just Yell!! - Grahame.

susie x

Jan 17, 2004
Ibc

It is the best hotel in the north. Stayed there in December.The food was brilliant. It was so good in the buffet restaurant we found it difficult to fit inthe speciality reataurants. You should try the 'Brazillian', this is the one thing we didn't enjoy about our stay, but you may like it. The staff were all wonderful and very enthusiastic. :D

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Hi Grahame,

Actually when we were on the North Coast in April we took a voluntary bump from Breezes to Riu Mambo and received a "FREE" certificate at either Breezes - POP or PUJ for a week. In October we are using this along with a "FREE" (except for taxes) flight with Air Canada and have decided to try Punta Cana. This will allow us to try another part of the DR for a brief but almost free stay. In April '05 we have already booked our normal North Coast trek and will probably be renting a condo in Sosua.

Hope to see you then.

Gregg

URock

Feb 10, 2003
And don't forget........

StephenRawling said:
This is my first post, so i will keep it short and sweet.

I am travelling to Iberostar costa dorada on 31st August 2004 and staying for 2 weeks, could anyone let me know what the hotel is like? has anyone stayed there before, and also what is the weather normally like in this area at this time of the year.

Any information, advice or tips would be very appreciated,

Thanks

It's one of the closest hotels to the Brugal rum factory! :lick: :lick: :lick:

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
I just wanted to bring this post back to fore again so that i could tag a few Q's onto the end..............

1/ do you think its close enough to walk from the ICD to the plaza in Playa Dorada, how long would it take, would a taxi be better - how much would it cost ($RD)?

2/ Whats the beach like in front of the hotel?

3/ How long would it take to walk it along the beach to the Jack Tar section in P Dorada?

4/ Can you snorkel in the sea there and see anything ? (Sosua is amazing but P Dorada is no where near is clear because of the sand being churned up)

5/ Does the ICD have a little disco within the hotel? Does it get busy at all ? (I know how close P Dorada and P Plata are incase it was really dead)

6/ Whats the staff like there? Are they mainly Dominican lads / girls or mixed? Some of the hotels that i have stayed in having 1 too many Dominicans on heat........

7/What are the standard rooms like?

8/ Can anyone compare this hotel to say.......... the Flamenco in P Dorada or the Occidental Gran Playa Dorada? I have been to these twice and wondered how the ICD compared.

Thanks for the help and anything else you want to add........

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Hi tired_boy,

tired_boy said:
I just wanted to bring this post back to fore again so that i could tag a few Q's onto the end..............

1/ do you think its close enough to walk from the ICD to the plaza in Playa Dorada, how long would it take, would a taxi be better - how much would it cost ($RD)?

3/ How long would it take to walk it along the beach to the Jack Tar section in P Dorada?

4/ Can you snorkel in the sea there and see anything ? (Sosua is amazing but P Dorada is no where near is clear because of the sand being churned up)

5/ Does the ICD have a little disco within the hotel? Does it get busy at all ? (I know how close P Dorada and P Plata are incase it was really dead)

6/ Whats the staff like there? Are they mainly Dominican lads / girls or mixed? Some of the hotels that i have stayed in having 1 too many Dominicans on heat........

8/ Can anyone compare this hotel to say.......... the Flamenco in P Dorada or the Occidental Gran Playa Dorada? I have been to these twice and wondered how the ICD compared.

Greetings from Atlantic Canada.

1) Maybe 30 min. + or - walking. Tourist taxi from hotel $6US. Walk outside the hotel and someone will ask if you want a taxi and you can negotiate (maybe $100RD - $200RD, not sure but less than hotel based taxi).

2) Not as good as Playa Sosua but OK.]

3) 20 min. and you go past the orange market (FYI).

4) Same as Playa Dorada.

5) Route 66 Disco - sankie heaven (great as a spectator sport).

6) Not exactly sure what you mean but they are very professional and courteous.

7) Very acceptable with mini-fridge and balcony (try for building 1 facing the beach).

8) Never stayed in Playa Dorada (I try to avoid it).

Have a great trip - ICD is wonderful.

Gregg

baileyboy

Jun 27, 2004
tired_boy said:

1.The plaza is close, however I would recommend to get a taxi, you can get a taxi both ways for $8US. The Dominicans are crazy drivers so I would prefer to be in the car as oppsoed to walking on the side fo the road.

2.Beachfront is nice, however it does ahve some seeweed but the hotel is continusouly cleaning it up all day long.

3.Jack Tar is att he opposite end of the beach from Iberstar. So it takes about 20-25 minutes, but if you are going to stroll, it may take longer.

4.The beach on the Costa Dorada, isn't much to see, I would recommend Sousa. Too much sand, and reall no fish to see.

5. NOt sure of the Disco as I've never stayed there (I stay next door at Coral Marien) however I believe that there is a disco.

6.NOt sure of the workeers, but I would guess like all resorts they have there Dominican workers, but some do have people from other countries (ie Hait, Venzuela, France, Spain)

7. NOt sure of the rooms, but it is popular and relativley new resort, so the rooms I would say are very nice, as the hotel is from a good chain.

8. I haven't been to either the reopsrts you mentioned, but I have know people to stay at the Iberostar and they loved it, so enjoy!

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Thanks a lot for your reply.

I would be very happy if someone could add to all those comments aswell, someone who has stayed there would be perfect...........thanks again

:) :)

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
FireGuy said:
I have stayed there (Bldg 1 - beach view).

Ask specifics and I'll do my best.

Gregg

Sorry Gregg,
When i checked out the thread i only noticed the answers below your post, i have just read your post aswell and feel i have most of the answers.

cheers you two !

- tired_boy