What cardio-clinical facilities are available in SD?

franco

Nov 5, 2003
I am new to Santo Domingo, so apologies if my questions seem a bit naive. My father will be coming over in November. He has had problems with blood circulation in his heart, and had a heart attack in the rear side wall, after which he's had to angioplastic surgeries (all together, he's had three stents installed). He is stable now, in November it'll be a year since his second procedure. He's been diagnosed with ischemic heart disease.

Due to all of this, I need to figure out what cardio-clinical facilities are available in Santo Domingo. What type of equipment and what level of expertise is available here? And if there is someone with experience who can advise on any possible adverse effects a person such as my father can encounter with such a drastic climate change, coming over from a northern climate (it can get to -20 C in Moscow in November) to the Dominican heat and humidity. Do tourists with similar heart conditions come here to visit? Where do wealthy Dominicans go for heart disease expertise?.. Is there emergency care available or do you need to fly back to the US in case of any issues/complications?

Thanks very much for your help.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Welcome to the board!

Hopefully Peter & Alex will read this post and reply. If not I will send you the info Peter was so kind to supply to me last year.
I too have had a heart attack and stents installed(also rear side of heart-left circumflex descending artery to be exact!) and have learned from Peter's personal experience that there is excellent care in Santo Domingo.
I had no problems with the climate this past winter when I was there (six months after my attack with NO insurance due to having to wait a year post MI before insurance would cover me).
I did stay out of the sun as much as possible (good thing there is lot's of shade trees in our area) and I live in Juan Dolio which always gets a nice breeze unlike the city itself, however the few days I did spend in Santo Domingo were fine also even with the lack of air conditioning in most stores due to the power situation.
Hope your Dad enjoys his visit and you may contact me if Peter doesn't reply to you.......

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Contact Dr. Angel B. Contreras, cardiologist in Santo Domingo. Did his training in England and speaks excellent English. Very capable. His father is also a well-known cardiologist.

If you are in the DR now, you can call him at 688-0011 in the morning or at 567-1529 in the PM. Or you can email him at abcontreras@codetel.net.do He is very good about responding to emails. My impression is that he checks his email at least once daily. Don't hesitate to tell him that I gave you the contact info.

He was the doctor who took care of the Peter referred to in the below post. Peter went to him on my recommendation.

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Cardio Stuff in the DR

franco said:
Thank you guys, DR1 is the best! :)

Finally got around to reading up the messages!! (I'm being Dominican busy of course)!!
Dr. Angel Contreras is very good at answering any queries you may have regarding cardio care and medical facilities here in the DR - especially in Santo Domingo.
He and Dr. Pedro Urena fitted me with another 3 stents last year - no problems, good quick service and actually cheaper than elsewhere in the world!! (However, the stents are a controlled price in US$)!
He has an office near the Colonial District just off the Malecon - easy to get to and open every morning. tel: 688-0011
Afternoons he's at his other office on Abraham Lincoln - tel: 567-1529
His cell phone is 519-5213
His e-mail address is now abcontreras@verizon.net.do
He speaks perfect English and is a very nice chap as well.
PS: He actually trained in Spain, (not UK), and has a good reputation both here and in the US.
Trust that your father won't need him? I live here with my heart condition and do not have any problems, (touch wood). Just walk the beach early in the morning, keep the stress levels low, drink a minimum of 3 glasses of red wine per day, pat my dogs and look at women's breasts for 5 minutes every 24 hours - seems to work!!
Peter (or 4 Springs as I'm locally known since the last procedure)?