transportation santo domingo to las galeras

ge3843

Jun 20, 2004
I understand the best way is to taxi to caribe bus station from our hotel in santo domingo then the caribe bus to samana, then HOW to las galeras???
And what should taxi costs be? and also what is the caribe far from santo domingo to samana? I also can't seem to find the caribe schedule to figure out what times we need to get to the caribe bus station. Anyone know the schedule? thanks.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Caribe Tours has buses leaving for Samana at 7, 8:30 and 10 in the morning and at 1:30, 2:30 and 4 in the afternoon. The trip takes about 4 hours and will cost you approximately RD$200/person. To get to Las Galeras, you will need to take a take from the bus terminal in Samana.

Enjoy your trip.

stan chapman

Nov 28, 2002
Samana to Las Galeras

If you have a contact in Las Galeras, a private taxi can be arranged to pick you up for about half the regular, posted taxi fare. You could also take a Gua Gua if you don't have a ton of luggage & don't mind sharing. They are very inexpensive and " interesting". We paid $30.00 US last year for a taxi from the Metro bus terminal in SD to the airport. We were very impressed with the bus trip, & the driver arranged for the taxi, & would not hear about any propina. A very professional organisation, IMHO, which could hold it's own in Canada. If Ken says Caribe is as good, I would believe him based on previous helpful & accurate information received & appreciated.

On the inbound trip, we had a van from Las Galeras pick us up at SDQ for $110.00 US. Who are you staying with in LG? Stan.

Come to think of it, we rode from POP to Gran Bahia outside Samana, with Caribe & it was excellent.

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Either Caribe Tours or Metro. Both have good buses and good service. Buses depart on schedule. Advantage of Caribe Tours is that it runs more buses to Samana each day than Metro does.

Jasper

Bronze
Jan 10, 2002
i prefer metro over caribe. drivers are a little more sane and not as cold in the bus, but do recommend you bring a light sweater or jacket. metro leaves apprx 2:30 a.m. and apprx 7 a.m.

taxi from samana to las galeras was about rd$1000 the last time i used it if i remember correctly. $20-$25 usd.