Architects/Engineers

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
I have been searching for names of Architects and Engineers in Dominican Republic for a few weeks now.. I do travel to DR A LOT !! but have never had the opportunity to get in contact with someone in those fields.
In october i will be heading down there once again for 3 months (just returned from a week week stay from a dominicans friend wedding there). In the meantime that i'm there I would like to get in contact with a few.

I have a very good Architechtural/Engineering job here in boring and snowy Canada (never liked it here, parents moved here from Europe) and a loooooooooooad of experience. I know what its like to live in dominican rep.... I usually go for a few months at a time ... but now that im finally finishing my degree its time for me to move outta this igloo.

And why all the travelling down there..... well cats outta the bag.. i'm married to a dominican ....2 years this year... he lives here with me now until I am ready to move there..

so if anyone can let me know where abouts I can find contacts in the DR please post... I have some that my husbands gotten for me but I could always use more !!
Thanks !

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I know hundreds of them

My daughter in law (one of them) is an architect.

What did you graduate in? Where will you be locating?

Are you sure you want to do this?

HB

de_la_cruz

Mar 25, 2004
its me

hola........

its me.. la_barbie, im just under my cousins nickname right now..

thanks for you help escott and hillbilly..

I'm graduating in Architectural Construction Technology .... I have worked on TONS of jobs... everything from renovating old warehouses into low income housing units to apartment buildings (nice ones.... if your from Toronto you know what I mean). Right now I have a government job in the building department/Facilities Management..Its a great job, with great pay.. and I was told that if things dont work out in DR than I'm welcome back....
I know what kinda wages people make in DR, not as fancy as here but you only live once and I wanna enjoy it.. plus i've done research that the tech business is one of the better paying field if I'm correct?
This is my last year in the program but I'm only doing it part time so that I can work and still travel with the husband... so for now i'm really looking into contacts with archs/engineers ..
We would prefer to be on the North Coast.. somewhere near Puerto Plata, Sosua... somewhere where I can join in the b*tchin with my fellow Torontonians about this damn city (beautiful city, people just aren't so friendly)

Escott... how do I get in contact with Lissa and Hillbilly how can I get in contact with your daughter in law?

Thanks

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
Architect/fees

What are typical/architect fees in DR? Is it a % of the building construction cost or a fixed amount? For instance
- for designing, analyzing cost and obtaining building permit
- for a full mission up to building completion

Thank you in advance,

Barnab?

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
la_barbie said:
And why all the travelling down there..... well cats outta the bag.. i'm married to a dominican ....2 years this year... he lives here with me now until I am ready to move there..

so if anyone can let me know where abouts I can find contacts in the DR please post... I have some that my husbands gotten for me but I could always use more !!
Thanks !

Does hubby know about these post la barbie. It's not nice to lie to Charlie.

6.9/2004
La barbie
hola

come and join us at our villa in july.......... that is if you dont mind 21 year olds ... :p

i met a really cool british guy in punta cana... he taught me some cool british slang and when we were drunk (all the damn time) he told me the who history of how the spyea we are staying there for 2 months.. just my best friend and I...
but did you know.... "that victoria wasent an original spice girl, it was some girl named Amber (something like that name)" Brit usto repeat that every 2 minutes heheheice girl came together and broke up

6/10/2004
La Barbie
my favourite hot spots are the ones with alcohol.... im so simple to please .. well in some ways

.... but i really do enjoy going to the boulevard in downtown POP... i always love getting dirty looks from local girls cause were there with the better looking guys ..
but hey, what can u do ?

6-11 la barbie posts: im not the one who gets played ... im the playette !!!
you'd be surprise what i can make guys do ! .. !!
..........ill leave the rest for your imagination

6-23-2004
La Barbie posts: Anyone who wants to come and party the invitation is still open .... Find me on the beach Canada Day in a birthday suit !

Last edited:

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
If you think this board is a soap opera you ought to check out the North Coast. If you take a crap on one side of Cabarete you have people like Ladybird on the other side of Sosua telling people how many sheets of toilet paper you used whether you used it or not! This place cracks me up.

Scott

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
Nickname clear up

OK OK, let me clear this up...

I recently had something similar happen on another board...

La_barbie and seniorita_la_barbie are two nicknames that are used by my cousin and myself.... After our recent incident, I set up a account for my cousin (de_la_cruz, actually awhile ago but she barely used it) to stop the confusion.... I am la_barbie, My cousin is however in DR right now .. all those posts for partying and what not came from her..
However I am married (just as crazy as my cousin and even worse at times when it comes to partying!) but I have my man ......... I just knew better than to share details on this board about marrying a dominican.... I think i'll hit up the postivie stories forum .....

SO NOW YOU ALL KNOW ...... you wanna party and your heading down to POP area PM de_la_cruz .... she will occasionally logs on... I occasionally use her nickname too but thats when I realize after I put a post up... If posts involve sex..and liquor than its my loving cousin !!!

Anyways back to my original question Escott and Hillbilly ..... Please and Thank you !

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Lissa the architect

I know Lissa and her husband Luis fairly well . I met with them several times over some business matters and can attest that they are professional and competent people. More importantly, I feel that they are honest. Lissa also speaks English which might be useful to you.

Note to Lissa: Just my usual 5% commission. LOL

JOHN

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
johne said:
I know Lissa and her husband Luis fairly well . I met with them several times over some business matters and can attest that they are professional and competent people. More importantly, I feel that they are honest. Lissa also speaks English which might be useful to you.

Note to Lissa: Just my usual 5% commission. LOL

JOHN
Jesus John, I recommended her first. Don't you think we can at least split the commission?

Scott

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Yes Jennifer,

la_barbie said:
OK OK, let me clear this up...

I recently had something similar happen on another board...

La_barbie and seniorita_la_barbie are two nicknames that are used by my cousin and myself.... After our recent incident, I set up a account for my cousin (de_la_cruz, actually awhile ago but she barely used it) to stop the confusion.... I am la_barbie, My cousin is however in DR right now .. all those posts for partying and what not came from her..
However I am married (just as crazy as my cousin and even worse at times when it comes to partying!) but I have my man ......... I just knew better than to share details on this board about marrying a dominican.... I think i'll hit up the postivie stories forum .....

SO NOW YOU ALL KNOW ...... you wanna party and your heading down to POP area PM de_la_cruz .... she will occasionally logs on... I occasionally use her nickname too but thats when I realize after I put a post up... If posts involve sex..and liquor than its my loving cousin !!!

Anyways back to my original question Escott and Hillbilly ..... Please and Thank you !

The "mix-up" is of your making and you should ensure that your posts and those of your "cousin" are distinguishable (change YOUR passwords) as we will attribute them to YOU if they are under YOUR Board Name.

When you allow your credibility to be questioned it takes a long time to gain people's trust back, especially when we don't know you. Many of us know each other, either here or in person and are therefore understandably more forgiving when a minor question arises.

Gregg
FireGuy here.
Gregg and Moderator on "another board".

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
FireGuy said:
The "mix-up" is of your making and you should ensure that your posts and those of your "cousin" are distinguishable (change YOUR passwords) as we will attribute them to YOU if they are under YOUR Board Name.

When you allow your credibility to be questioned it takes a long time to gain people's trust back, especially when we don't know you. Many of us know each other, either here or in person and are therefore understandably more forgiving when a minor question arises.

Gregg
FireGuy here.
Gregg and Moderator on "another board".

thanks guys....

Gregg ....... we have seperate accounts now.. im the only one that uses la-barbie and seniorita_la_barbie ..... shes got a account set up on this board but not on the "other" board yet... i'll let her do that on her own

Back to the forum.... I will try and get a hold of Lissa... thanks everyone..
If anyone else has any more info please feel free to share !

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
No prob

Escott said:
Jesus John, I recommended her first. Don't you think we can at least split the commission?

Scott

It would be my pleasure.

JOHN

Lissa

Aug 7, 2003
www.lldesigndr.com
thanks john and Escott

Thanks john for those nice words about me and my husband, I really appreciate it.
About the commission I'm gonna give 5% to each of you john and Escott. :classic:
Thanks..

Lissa

Aug 7, 2003
www.lldesigndr.com
Barnabe said:
What are typical/architect fees in DR? Is it a % of the building construction cost or a fixed amount? For instance
- for designing, analyzing cost and obtaining building permit
- for a full mission up to building completion

Thank you in advance,

Barnab?
Hi Barnabe, usually the architect charge for the design and whole set of plans somewhere between 4.5 and 5% of the total cost of the building's construction. But sometimes the project is either too small or too big to charge this kind of money so you go for a fixed price.

The analysis of cost is charged by the amount of sq.m. of the project.

The fee to get the construction's permits depends on the size and the complexity of the construction, because not all the projects have to go to the same approval's offices ie. a simple house doesn't need to get a special parking permit as the apartment buildings, etc..
But the fees begins in RD$10 or 15k at least and you pay all city hall's taxes.

If the architect is in charge of the construction you must work on a budget basis, you as the owner have to make percentage payments based on the budget. Most of the time in regular constructions the first payment is a 30%/40% of the budget and later you pay 20% and so on.

Of course after you give the 1st payment you must see how the construction is going before give more money that's why sometimes is a good idea you hire a supervisor that verify that everything is going ok if you're not around..

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Lissa said:
Thanks john for those nice words about me and my husband, I really appreciate it.
About the commission I'm gonna give 5% to each of you john and Escott. :classic:
Thanks..
On second thought since I mentioned your name first I think the split should be 60/40 in my favour. (Khrist I am even starting to spell like Grahame:)) LOL

Scott

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
Thanks guys !!

Thanks for all the help guys, keep the info comming...

I'll keep in touch Lissa