Mobile Communication

Listerrose

May 31, 2004
My mobile phone provider says I will have coverage when in the DR, I will be taking (Quad Band) mobile of course only for emergencys and 'post cards' by text message! has anyone travelling from th UK taken a Mobile phone?

Would like to hear some experiences from UK travellers?

Dec 9, 2002
I took a Nokia tri-band phone last year, and Vodofone assured me I would have coverage in DR. But could I get a signal? No chance!

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Emergency Is Right

Listerrose said:
My mobile phone provider says I will have coverage when in the DR, I will be taking (Quad Band) mobile of course only for emergencys and 'post cards' by text message! has anyone travelling from th UK taken a Mobile phone?

Would like to hear some experiences from UK travellers?

If you use it for more than a few minutes you will exceed the cost of buying a brand new Orange phone in the DR which you can give away as a gift when you leave. The cost of roaming is deadly at times , if it works, which is not always.

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
I have a nokia tri band that works here no probs, I also brought the new Sony Ericsson, tri band which also works, I brought my Nokia communicator, but unforntunately this wont work, it is dual band. But in some areas no phones seem to work,, where are you Dominican Babe that you cant get a signal?? Mines a very old one and its great.

All you have to do is buy a new sim card for it to use here, choose whether you want contract or cards, (its cheaper on contract) then change back to your English sim card when you go back to UK.. Sim cards are 150 pesos,, where and when are you coming??

Dec 9, 2002
I was in the POP area. Couldn't get a signal at the beach, in the city, not even at the top of the mountain! I think Vodofone just plain lied to me. It doesn't matter anymore for me anyway, I now have a phone that I bought over there which I use only on my visits there.

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Dominican Babe said:
I was in the POP area. Couldn't get a signal at the beach, in the city, not even at the top of the mountain! I think Vodofone just plain lied to me. It doesn't matter anymore for me anyway, I now have a phone that I bought over there which I use only on my visits there.

What a shame all you have to do was go into an Orange shop in pop and get a sim car for here, bring it with you next time and try the other sim card in it. My UK provider O2 told me dual band wont work here but it does.

Listerrose

May 31, 2004
Staying at Playa Dorada in September. If I have a triband T-Mobile phone will I be able to easily pick up a sim card - pay as you go would be fine, then I assume I can just add more credits next time I visit?

baileyboy

Jun 27, 2004
canada cell phone

Ladybird said:
What a shame all you have to do was go into an Orange shop in pop and get a sim car for here, bring it with you next time and try the other sim card in it. My UK provider O2 told me dual band wont work here but it does.

I have a motorola--and I am going to unlock it so that I can attempt to purchase a SIM card from the DR, and I try to use it in the DR. Has anyone tried that and does it work? How easy is it to get a SIM card in the DR? I have one for Canada but it won't work. I deal with Rogers AT&T in Canada. CAn anyone assist me, I'm headed there(POP) on Saturday. thanks-- lisa

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
baileyboy said:
I have a motorola--and I am going to unlock it so that I can attempt to purchase a SIM card from the DR, and I try to use it in the DR. Has anyone tried that and does it work? How easy is it to get a SIM card in the DR? I have one for Canada but it won't work. I deal with Rogers AT&T in Canada. CAn anyone assist me, I'm headed there(POP) on Saturday. thanks-- lisa

Lisa theres an orange shop in POP the sim cards usually cost 150pesos so Orange told me yesterday in Sosua office.

baileyboy

Jun 27, 2004
Thanks for the info

Ladybird said:
Lisa theres an orange shop in POP the sim cards usually cost 150pesos so Orange told me yesterday in Sosua office.

Thanks Ladybird--- Do you know where in POP it is? And do you know if a non-resiudent can purch a SIM card, or will I need to get a person living in the DR to get it for me? Greatly appreciated!

solituna

Jan 26, 2004
Frequency dependent

baileyboy said:

Hi Lisa,

Rogers should not be a problem.
You can go to the following coverage map to see where Orange has coverage.
http://www.orange.com.do/cobertura/

And here you can see the roaming partners.
http://www.orange.com.do/roaming/
(If you click on Canada, you can see that Rogers and Orange have roaming agreements on the GSM 1900 Mhz band.)

Other major operators in the country should be able to provide similar information on the web pages.

Good luck!

baileyboy

Jun 27, 2004
gues it won't work for me

solituna said:
Hi Lisa,

Rogers should not be a problem.
You can go to the following coverage map to see where Orange has coverage.
http://www.orange.com.do/cobertura/

And here you can see the roaming partners.
http://www.orange.com.do/roaming/
(If you click on Canada, you can see that Rogers and Orange have roaming agreements on the GSM 1900 Mhz band.)

Other major operators in the country should be able to provide similar information on the web pages.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info, I checked those websites, but if I'm reading them correctly they won't work for me. I'm from Halifax NS and it only shows Ontario and going out west. So I'm thinking that Rogers is compatable if you are out of the Ontario or Western Canada. But the Atalantic Canada region is out of luck. I'll try I've got nothing to lose, except 150 pesos for a SIM card,...I think I can afford that. Thanks very much for your info!