Concerned about Dominican Friend

Jim Driscoll

Jan 4, 2002
My wife and I have traveled to Puerto Plata for the past 15-years. We have made friends with a Dominican family, the father of whom, works at the Playa Dorado golf course. We have heard that the golf course has been sold and that the new management has been cutting staff and raising green fees. Does anyone know what is really happening at the Playa Dorado complex golf course? We are concerned that our friend may be out of work because of the rumored changes at the golf course. Any input from the golf players in Puerta Plata is appreciated.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Hello Jim - Remember me??? All you had to do was send me an e-mail & I would have replied!!

YES, Playa Dorada Golf course has been bought from Banco Central & changes are underway. Prices HAVE increased a bit (Now US $40 per full round in Summer, US $65 in Winter high season!) The course is much less utilised now & does look quite a bit better for the attention it has been getting.

Was/IS your friend one of the caddies at the course?? The policy of the new management is that golfers should have the right to choose if they require a caddie or not. As a result, many of the caddies that worked there are finding it difficult to get more than one round a weeks for earning money & are moving on to 'other' employment if they can find it - extremely difficult in these austere times!! If 'your friend' had any other form of employment at the club, I think you will find that he should be safe - as long as golfers continue to want to pay the new, higher green fees!!

Drop me an e-mail/PM if you want me to find your friend & ask some questions for you - Grahame.