El Choco Property Info

Gregg

Apr 26, 2004
We are interested in a property adjacent to el Choco National Park. It looks to have some development potential: almost an acre and some good outbuildings.

It is listed with Remax North Coast:

http://www.remaxnorthcoast.com/cgi-bin/ListingInfo2.cgi?listing_id=394&lang=en

We will be in the DR for 3 weeks beginning mid-August and will view it personally. In the meantime, anyone familiar with this? Any thoughts? Would this just be a hot, mosquito-infested piece of jungle or something well-ventilated? Not sure if it is east of Cabarete or at the western park entrance.

Please, just interested in a response from those who know this property. Not asking for anyone to go out of their way to answer but am very curious.

Thanks,

Gregg

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Gregg, it is a beautiful spot. Security wise you should do your homework. Pricewise, well, we will let Scott answer but I will not pay listed price for this. It is very beautiful however. Can you live in one of these buildings? I would think that you would need to do some renovations - structures, yes. Sound roofs - I don't think so.

Gregg

Apr 26, 2004
Thanks Chris

Chris said:
Gregg, it is a beautiful spot. Security wise you should do your homework. Pricewise, well, we will let Scott answer but I will not pay listed price for this. It is very beautiful however. Can you live in one of these buildings? I would think that you would need to do some renovations - structures, yes. Sound roofs - I don't think so.

Thanks for the information Chris. Have you been there? I think it is a defunct riding/tour operator. I will have the time, skill and some money to do repairs etc... Looks interesting doesn't it? Do you know how close it is to Cabarete?

I agree with your comment on price. I would do my usual routine: low ball the price but keep the offer clean and fast. I am interested in Scott's input too as he has a good outlook on real estate and business (from what i've read on the forum).

Can you elaborate on security? Are you referring to it being off the beaten path or is there something more specific that i should know? We have a large German Shepherd on our farm now. If we get the right type of property, he will being coming with us. He'd let someone steal stuff, maybe, but touch the family or other livestock and he'll rip you apart..

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I don't know the property nor how high up the road it is. CamdenTom and Mary just bought a small finca past haciendas El Choco and when we first went there I thought it was a nice property at a decent price.

El Choco Road is mostly paved till Haciendas El Choco and then it gets a bit rough. Depending on how far up the road it is would decide the value along with views if any. The size, shape and location of the buildings would also come into play. I just made a deal on 4300 meters down by Casa Linda for 30k with no buildings if that helps you in any way. Call me when you get to town and I will view it with you and gladly give you my 1 peso of thought. 223-1178

It is somewhere around 20 minutes to the main beach in Cabarete and about 10-12 minutes to Sosua Main Beach.

Scott

Gregg

Apr 26, 2004
will do

Escott said:
Call me when you get to town and I will view it with you and gladly give you my 1 peso of thought. Scott

i will take you up on that. probably around Aug 20/21/22. we're trying to not follow a schedule on this trip.

thanks for your help. this forum is invaluable.

Gregg

sunnyvillas

Blocked due to spamming
Apr 29, 2003
Isn't the El Choko homes just passed the Residential Casa LInda, or am I thinking of something else????

Coastal

Jul 14, 2003
This is in Cabarete Gregg.

This property, if I am not mistaken, is the old "cuevas de Cabarete" property in Cabarete. It does back up to the side of Choco, but from the street side, it is probably 10 km ( 6 miles) from the entrance to El Choco (near-by to the Coastal gas station). Other than that, I don't know anything about the property but would echo the concerns regarding security if you intend to live there. BTW, most thieves are very used to dogs; I recommend an alarm, doesn't eat or sleep but initally costs more than a bow-wow.

Regards,
Greg

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
We went by today as I was curious. From the road in Cabarete, one follows the signpost to the entrance of the caves. It has been a year since I've seen the place and I remember liking it then. Again, it has a lovely feeling, lots of stone structures and backing up against a small cliff - very romantic, big trees (overgrown at the moment but nothing that a machete can't fix). The buildings have not been kept up at all and one will have to just about rebuild to get one usable structure for living in. For a tourist type operation, add a few cana roofs (the roofs are mostly holes and cana that's not been maintained), clean up and you can be in business. To live there, some money needs to be spent. Security would be an issue. More intelligent people than I can say whether the asking price is worth it.

Gregg

Apr 26, 2004
very interesting

Chris said:
We went by today as I was curious. From the road in Cabarete, one follows the signpost to the entrance of the caves. It has been a year since I've seen the place and I remember liking it then. Again, it has a lovely feeling, lots of stone structures and backing up against a small cliff - very romantic, big trees (overgrown at the moment but nothing that a machete can't fix). The buildings have not been kept up at all and one will have to just about rebuild to get one usable structure for living in. For a tourist type operation, add a few cana roofs (the roofs are mostly holes and cana that's not been maintained), clean up and you can be in business. To live there, some money needs to be spent. Security would be an issue. More intelligent people than I can say whether the asking price is worth it.

well we'll certainly have to look at it next month. thanks for taking the time to look at it. much appreciated! sounds like a fun project that may just soak up all my time and money. standard operating procedure for me.

proofpositive

Aug 25, 2004
El Choco Property

Hi Greg...I'm the owner of the property which is adjacent to El Choco National Park from the West side of Cabarete. Just noticed your interest on the forum and perhaps I'm too late. However, it definitely has potential as a Cave Tour Operation. As far as Security goes, I have not had any problems whatsoever. In fact the property is sitting there unprotected I write this and has been this way for the past two years. Other than the elements taking their toll, there has been no damage or break-ins. The local people in the village (not Cabarete but the village on the road up) are very friendly. The property is situated about 100 yards from where the pavement ends. If you would like to make an offer I'm prepared to negotiate.
It has clear title and my lawyer has possesion of the "Certificate of Title". Also it registered in a Dominican Corporation which I keep current. There's plenty of opportunity here. I made a lot of money while it was open....I have all documentation, information, etcc....Call or write anytime....Regards, Roy
Phone: 1-867-360-6186 Office
Phone: 1-867-360-7995 Home
E-mail: rshields@polarnet.ca
or
E-mail: royshields@hotmail.com