SDQ to Sosua via Caribe bus

macmasher

Jul 13, 2004
Because I MUST use USAir miles for the trip, I'm forced to land at SDQ (at 1:45pm Sunday on Sunday 7/18) for a Sosua visit. I'm planning on...
- getting a cab from SDQ to Caribe Tours station in Santo Domingo
- then, will "bus it" (I know, 3-4 hours) to Sosua

QUESTIONS
- Any way (other than cab) to get from SDG to Caribe Tours station in Santo Domingo? If not, what should I budget for cab fare?
- Will the Caribe bus drop me within walking distance of the Sosua Palace (I have a simple Sosua map)? If not, advice is welcome.
- Overall, does the above sound like a workable plan?

After four trips to Boca Chica in the last year or two, I'll be visiting Sosua for the first time. For those who've done both (BC and Sosua), what differences (between the two) were most significant? Thanks.

macmasher

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
If you have to come into Santo Domingo to take the bus to Santo Domingo, why not overnight in Santo Domingo. Check out the Santo Domingo hotels at http://dr1.com/directories/index.shtml

Elsewise, your plan sounds good. Sosua is a small town, so if your hotel is in the town, it will be within walking distance. Have never heard of the Sosua Palace, though.

Boca Chica and Sosua are similar in that they live primarily off tourism, and thus most businesses cater to the tourists and everything revolves around the beach. Since you ask about the differences, come to think about it I would say there are more similarities than differences. But at the same time Sosua and Boca Chica are very different. You know right away you are in Sosua or in Boca Chica. I would say Sosua is a less intense town than Boca Chica.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Piece of cake arriving that time of day

Usually the taxi rates are posted. If you strike up a conversation on the plane you will probably fine some personthat will be going your way..

The Caribe Tour stop is in Charamicos, on the West side of the beach. I would suppose that your hotel is in the Batey, on the East side of the beach. I couldn't find it in the phone book so if you have a number, give it to me and I'll drop a dime and see where they are.

Sosua vs Boca Chica. This could start a flame war, but generally speaking the hookers in Sosua are a little less out in the open, there is a more genteel feeling about the town, and as, Dolores says, it is a little bit less intense. Go over to Rockys or read JimmyDR's posts for places to eat, dring or have coffee at 4 a.m.

HB

macmasher

Jul 13, 2004
Thanks guys - one more question...

Appreciate the feedback above. And another question... Is Caribe Tours schedule limited on Sunday (any less frequent than rest of week)?

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Escott is right.

Caribe Tours Sosua Terminal is in Los Charimicos Sosua and the Sosua Palace is in El Batey Sosua. Taxi shouldn't be any more than 100 - 200 pesos and there should be some at or very near the Bus Terminal.

In SDQ, while never having done it my self, I have seen taxi rates bantered about in the $20US - $30US range to the bus terminal. As mentioned, sharing will greatly reduce that number - if it will work for you.

Gregg

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
1. Caribe Tours runs the same schedule 7 days a week.

2. A taxi from the Caribe Tours terminal in Charamicos to a hotel lin Sosua (or any destination in Sosua) is RD$150 or US$3 if you don't have pesos.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
The cab driver may not know where the Sosua Palace is since it is down a quiet road and dosen't have a sign. If he dosen't know of it, tell him to take you to the Blue Dolphin. That is right on the main strip ( Pedro Clisante) and your driver will just need to take a left turn down the road you will see on your left and the Palace will be a couple hundred feet down the road. If he dosen't know where the Blue Dolphin is, tell him to go to the Europa and take the second left after the Europa off Pedro Clisnate and you will arrive at the Palace. There, now you should get there.

Larry

macmasher

Jul 13, 2004
Thanks! (and one question)

Awesome info in response to my question. You folks are amazing!

One more thing... Anyone know of a way (other than $20-30 taxi) to get from SDQ to center of Santo Domingo (specifically, Caribe Tours terminal at Ave. 27 De Febrero - Corner of Leopoldo Navarro).

I've got time and decent Spanish skills. Heck, how do the "locals" who work at the airport do it? Must be a bus or something?