Craig Pope

richard

Jan 1, 2002
For those of you who knew and those who didn't: Craig died last week
without family or funds. His body has been refrigerated in Santiago
and he needs to be buried. Johnny Gonzalez and I have contacted the
American Embassy which has no funding to bury him. We are asking
contributions. A simple box burial will cost about 7000 pesos.
Please contribute what you can afford. Collections will be taken by
Johnny in Cabarate, at the Britannia Pub, Sosua, and at Sam's Bar in
Puerto Plata. This is short notice, but he should be buried ASAP. If
you have questions, you may call me at 586-7267 or Johnny at 265-
4870.Sincerely, Joanne

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Thanks for posting this Richard & I have left a pledge with Sam's bar to start things off.

How do the North American group on here feel about this treatment of one of their own? If this were a British Citizen & the British Embassy treated him/her in this manner, I would be straight on to the sleaziest newspapers in the UK with the story. RD $7,000 is just a couple of lunches or trips to the tennis club for the Embassy coffers!!! Not much to pay for allowing a man a decent farewell to his life!! I wonder if Bill Kirkman of 'Monied' Sea Horse Ranch knows that the Embassy have taken this miserly stance? - Grahame

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Does anyone know if Craig was a Veteran or not??

The VA provides a US$200 toward burial costs for ALL veterans. His/her serial number(SSAN) would have to be known. I'm not all that familiar with all the other requirements, but it might be worth looking into by interested parties.
The initial contact would be CRISTIAN OLIVERA, American Citizens Service Center, phon 731-4348/4371, SSA at 731-6629, S/Sgt Ramerez at 731-4220 (I believe he's in the Military Attache's Office). Go through the man's personal effects and try to find out if he was a Vet or not.

Texas Bill

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Wow. $200

They bury them here outright. Not fancy but not $200 either. Still the $200 is more than the RD$7000 you need so I hope it comes through.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Confused.

richard said:
For those of you who knew and those who didn't: Craig died last week
without family or funds. His body has been refrigerated in Santiago
and he needs to be buried. Johnny Gonzalez and I have contacted the
American Embassy which has no funding to bury him. We are asking
contributions. A simple box burial will cost about 7000 pesos.
Please contribute what you can afford. Collections will be taken by
Johnny in Cabarate, at the Britannia Pub, Sosua, and at Sam's Bar in
Puerto Plata. This is short notice, but he should be buried ASAP. If
you have questions, you may call me at 586-7267 or Johnny at 265-
4870.Sincerely, Joanne
Is this Richard or Joanne?
If Craig is a friend, why wouldn't you spring for the 7,000 pesos?
Heck, if one of my friends died and all that was needed was 7,000 pesos to bury him, I wouldn't think twice. Done deal, here's the cash.
Is your friend not worth the 7 thou?

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Rocky said:
Heck, if one of my friends died and all that was needed was 7,000 pesos to bury him, I wouldn't think twice. Done deal, here's the cash.

No kidding. What are you hoping for, 100 people to pledge 70 pesos each? How pathetic. Hopefully someone who knew him will have the decency to pay the 7000 pesos.

Larry

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
BushBaby said:
Thanks for posting this Richard & I have left a pledge with Sam's bar to start things off.

How do the North American group on here feel about this treatment of one of their own? If this were a British Citizen & the British Embassy treated him/her in this manner, I would be straight on to the sleaziest newspapers in the UK with the story. RD $7,000 is just a couple of lunches or trips to the tennis club for the Embassy coffers!!! Not much to pay for allowing a man a decent farewell to his life!! I wonder if Bill Kirkman of 'Monied' Sea Horse Ranch knows that the Embassy have taken this miserly stance? - Grahame
If I was family and Penny LESS at the time I die I wouldn't give a **** what happens to my old rotten skin and bones.

If you wonder what Bill Kirkman would say or know, just give him a call. I am sure he cares about what GRAHAME BUSH thinks! Hee

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Rocky said:
Hey, don't worry, Larry and I will chip in to bury your Rotting arse!

richard

Jan 1, 2002
craig

What an obscene remark. Obviously because the more people who know, the better it is. Joanne posted it on our yahoo group sosuadominicanrepublic and I in turn posted it on other web sites. Joanne is quite aware of this.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Obscene?

richard said:
What an obscene remark. Obviously because the more people who know, the better it is. Joanne posted it on our yahoo group sosuadominicanrepublic and I in turn posted it on other web sites. Joanne is quite aware of this.
I'll tell you what's obscene.
Wasting time and energy talking about this, setting up "collection points" instead of just pulling the money out of your pocket.
If it is true that you don't know him and you want to do something, pay the 7,000 pesos.
We're talking about $160 here. It's not as if you would have to take a loan out at the bank.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I'm the one who posted the message last week!

Rocky said:
I'll tell you what's obscene.
Wasting time and energy talking about this, setting up "collection points" instead of just pulling the money out of your pocket.
If it is true that you don't know him and you want to do something, pay the 7,000 pesos.
We're talking about $160 here. It's not as if you would have to take a loan out at the bank.

I have known Craig Pope for many years and yes Craig was a Nam.Vet.He did two tours over there, I was the person who posted the passing of both Craig Pope and Dave Roco who were both Nam,Vets.

Craig was with the Special Forces division over in the Nam, He used to tell me stories that would curl your hair........this man volunteered for a second tour...go figure.

Craig Pope died penny less.....The War fu**ed him up big time thats why he ended up here in the DR.

Do you think for a second that the States gives a flying fidelers fu** about Craig pope. ( Ex Nam. Vet.)

I will pass by tomorrow and give a contribution at Sams Bar,( because I know that his Uncle sam don't give a sh**.)

Gringo

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Please do what Texas bill suggested.

It seems that there is a way to do this. Bill knows his stuff so give the Embassy a call.

HB

KrackedKris

On Vacation!
Apr 8, 2004
First, PLEASE have him buried

Gringo said:
I have known Craig Pope for many years and yes Craig was a Nam.Vet.He did two tours over there, I was the person who posted the passing of both Craig Pope and Dave Roco who were both Nam,Vets.

Craig Pope died penny less.....The War fu**ed him up big time thats why he ended up here in the DR.

Do you think for a second that the States gives a flying fidelers fu** about Craig pope. ( Ex Nam. Vet.)

I will pass by tomorrow and give a contribution at Sams Bar,( because I know that his Uncle sam don't give a sh**.)

Gringo

Do what is needed to get the man his burial, God knows he deserves it, THEN, do what you can to find out what is due form "Uncle Sam" It may be that information was not properly conveyed to the Embassy, I'm willing to bet the Marine Guard would personally handle the issue if asked

I'm not doubting what anyone posted, but I find it extremely difficult to believe the US Embassy personnel (Provided you did something other than talk to a low level idiot on the phone) would disregard this unthinkable situation.

I personally know of far worse situations when the Embassy has intervened

Seriously, talk to the head of the Security detachment at the Embassy, he/she will be appalled at this story. If he was honorably discharged he is entitled to and will receive military honors at any location a Corps is reasonably available ( A person wishing to be buried on Christmas Island may have a problem for example)

If you can't resolve anything, send me a PM and I will personally contact a US Senator who will intervene

If you really have trouble obtaining the amount to bury this soldier, PM me and I will Western Union the money.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
richard said:

Richard,
Again, my thanks to you for keeping this matter in the forefront of peoples minds. Like YOU I never met Craig Pope but I understand he moved in the Less well-off strata of Puerto Plata society & therefor getting ONE person to pay his funeral fees just wasn't a viable option - it had to be done by voluntary contributions or by the Embassy! I have recently spoken to Joanne & have learned quite a bit more about the situation & it does NOT bode well for American concern for it's war veterans!!

I have just read Gringos response on this matter - Thank you Gringo, I am sure Joanne is relieved to hear from you & perhaps between the two of us, the multitude of poor Dominicans that have contributed today, Craig Can be buried with some form of decency tomorrow or latest Friday. May HE rest in peace. May those who find it difficult to show some form of compassion to the person acting purely as the messenger, have their gremlins exorcised very soon! - Grahame.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The cockroach.

chuckuindy said:
The temperature in this thread is colder than the dead body.
Charlie
Don't get me wrong.
I mourn the passing of any good soul, whether I know him or not.
I just have issues with Richard who is always posting anything he can to promote any businesses who give him freebies when he's in town and his stupid little gay yahoo group.
I have no patience for hypocrites like him.
If he really gave a damn, he'd fork over the money needed to bury Craig.
Richard is just trying to get a free ride out of DR1's impact and member base to slip in a little bit of advertizing.
He's been doing it for years and has been busted many times for it, but with time, he resurfaces, just like a cockroach.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
KrackedKris said:
Do what is needed to get the man his burial, God knows he deserves it, THEN, do what you can to find out what is due form "Uncle Sam" It may be that information was not properly conveyed to the Embassy, I'm willing to bet the Marine Guard would personally handle the issue if asked

I'm not doubting what anyone posted, but I find it extremely difficult to believe the US Embassy personnel (Provided you did something other than talk to a low level idiot on the phone) would disregard this unthinkable situation.

I personally know of far worse situations when the Embassy has intervened

Seriously, talk to the head of the Security detachment at the Embassy, he/she will be appalled at this story. If he was honorably discharged he is entitled to and will receive military honors at any location a Corps is reasonably available ( A person wishing to be buried on Christmas Island may have a problem for example)

If you can't resolve anything, send me a PM and I will personally contact a US Senator who will intervene

If you really have trouble obtaining the amount to bury this soldier, PM me and I will Western Union the money.

Hi KK,
Joanne of Sam's Bar in Puerto Plata says she spoke to Bill Kirkman today who advised her that the Embassy does not have funds "For Medical Research" which apparently this form of funding has to come through. Whether or not the full details of this matter were expressed to Mr. Kirkman I do not know but ANY pressure you can exert from Stateside would (I am sure) be greatly appreciated by Joanne.

Thanks for the compassionate & helpful response!! - Grahame.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Rocky said:
Don't get me wrong.
I mourn the passing of any good soul, whether I know him or not.
I just have issues with Richard who is always posting anything he can to promote any businesses who give him freebies when he's in town and his stupid little gay yahoo group.
I have no patience for hypocrites like him.
If he really gave a damn, he'd fork over the money needed to bury Craig.
Richard is just trying to get a free ride out of DR1's impact and member base to slip in a little bit of advertizing.
He's been doing it for years and has been busted many times for it, but with time, he resurfaces, just like a cockroach.

Thanks for clearing that up Marco - my original thoughts on you as a sane & caring person can now be restored. I KNOW this won't be of ANY importance to some who post here, but hopefully it will to you. Grahame.