Mail and Registration procedures

Miami

Jan 25, 2004
Hello All,

We are getting ready to move to the Sousa area and have tried to cover everything we can think of... thank you KEN for your medical advice...we are moving into CL for a few months first! We hope to meet many of you in the coming days... we will look forward to that. ...... BUT two questions that we would appreciate input....

How can we get our mail in the most expedient way from Florida? I note that some people having a mail facility in Miami and then it is sent on by some magical means... is that the best way...what do you think?

Also, for residency do we have to go to Santo Domingo for the blood test and x ray? Does Santiago have a sub station type of facility to test??? Just trying to simplify a little...

Thanks for any responses!!!! Susan and George

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Mail.

Miami said:
Hello All,

We are getting ready to move to the Sousa area and have tried to cover everything we can think of... thank you KEN for your medical advice...we are moving into CL for a few months first! We hope to meet many of you in the coming days... we will look forward to that. ...... BUT two questions that we would appreciate input....

How can we get our mail in the most expedient way from Florida? I note that some people having a mail facility in Miami and then it is sent on by some magical means... is that the best way...what do you think?

Also, for residency do we have to go to Santo Domingo for the blood test and x ray? Does Santiago have a sub station type of facility to test??? Just trying to simplify a little...

Thanks for any responses!!!! Susan and George
Sosua Business services handles that type of thing, but it ain't cheap.
I just tell people that the mail doesn't work here and to e-mail me or phone.
I do believe that you do have to go to Santo Domingo for the official blood test and X-rays.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Sosua Business Services is the Sosua representative for EPS. This is the service I and many others use. Each user has an ID number and two mailing addresses in Miami, a PO box and an address where parcels can delivered. The mail is carried to the DR in the same way as does fed ex and other services, then distributed on the basis of ID numbers to the various EPS offices in Sosua. I pick my mail and parcels up at Sosua Business Services. This service works very well, but, as Rocky said, it isn't cheap. When you send letters or parcels to the US, the process is reversed.

A similar service, Business Mail, is available in Puerto Plata. It is cheaper than EPS, but you must go to the Business Mail office in Puerto Plata to pick up your mail. If we had a car, we might consider that seriously, but we don't.

Miami

Jan 25, 2004
mail and registration

As usual, thank you for your great reply's......what a great service the forum provides.... why reinvent the wheel? See you there!!! Susan and George

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Business Mail in Puerto Plata IS a bit cheaper than EPS &/or FedEx. You might like to contact their Miami office at 6911 North West 87 Avenue - Tel 779-1919 Fax No. 779-1975 for actual costs, delivery periods, weight restrictions etc. I have found them MOST helpful here in Puerto Plata.

Re Blood test & X-ray, yes, at the moment Santo Domingo is the only place offering this. There WAS talk of opening up a Puerto Plata office but regretably nothing has come of this yet! Don't rush Residency though, you have got at least a couple of months to get things started!! - Grahame.

Miami

Jan 25, 2004
BushBaby said:
Business Mail in Puerto Plata IS a bit cheaper than EPS &/or FedEx. You might like to contact their Miami office at 6911 North West 87 Avenue - Tel 779-1919 Fax No. 779-1975 for actual costs, delivery periods, weight restrictions etc. I have found them MOST helpful here in Puerto Plata.

Re Blood test & X-ray, yes, at the moment Santo Domingo is the only place offering this. There WAS talk of opening up a Puerto Plata office but regretably nothing has come of this yet! Don't rush Residency though, you have got at least a couple of months to get things started!! - Grahame.

Thanks Grahame.... we will set that service up before we come over on September 1st...also good advice about the residency...we are planning on just taking our time. We are retired and plan to enjoy renting for three months in CL and learning the area, etc....!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Cl ?

Miami said:
Thanks Grahame.... we will set that service up before we come over on September 1st...also good advice about the residency...we are planning on just taking our time. We are retired and plan to enjoy renting for three months in CL and learning the area, etc....!
Is that short for Casa Linda?

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
We use a PO Box

Nicky and I have a PO Box at the Sosua post office. Now they've got to know us we don't loose a single letter. Don't ever send money, greetings cards, etc. to the box and it works fine and it is very cheap - A few dollars a year. The staff used to growl at us simply because our Spanish was so poor but so long as you speak Spanish and make the effort they seem to respond with a cheery smile. We've seen quite a few gringos wander in and shout their box number at them in English only to be either ignored or told there's no post for them. Come on guys - walk the walk and talk the talk and suddenly you're everyones amigo.

As a foot note you can safely assume that the staff aren't stupid. Brown envelopes from the UK Tax Man seem to arrive all too frequently and never go missing. Likewise bank statements and Barclaycard bills are no problemo. They know what's in an envelope just by looking at it. Get an EPS box for important stuff and a PO Box for stuff you wish you'd never want to receive! - Oh and don't bother asking for a key even though they charge you for one. We haven't quite worked that one out yet.

S&N

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I've had a P.O. Box in Puerto Plata for 11 years. We actually went & got the key cut ourselves, having waited a few weeks for it. Any envelope that looks like it has anything of value in it will get opened, resealed & stamped "Received in this condition" - as we never have anything of value sent this way, I am often able to say "Gotcha" (with a big smile!). That includes those greeting cards which have those tempting round plastic badges on them. Staff are MOST helpful if you treat them right. I've had newly arrived sacks strewn over the floor & staff on hands & knees sorting just for my one envelope. Don't forget the Christmas present for the person in charge of the Apartados (P.O. boxes). Cost of box 1000 pesos p.a. for large box, I believe small box is 600 pesos.