1st time to punta cana

plink

Jul 14, 2004
:knockedou Hi all, jsut found this site. Can anyone tell me if there is a government website for the DR that will tell me entry requirements,etc.? planning 1st trip @ the end of aug. sort of a last minute thing and I want to make sure I am prepared.
thanks for any help you can give me.
Patty

plink

Jul 14, 2004
Dolores, thank you. now maybe a dumb question but where do you purchase the yourist card? is that something that you get at the DR airport?
also, some of the hotel sites I have been viewing say that you need to dress for dinner. and they require that you don't wear sleveless tops. is that true? can women wear capris?
thanks again
patty

Tourist Card

$10 US, supplied by Canadian tour operators, if you are flying in from elsewhere most time you have to purchase at the airport.
Bring a pen to fill out. turn into immigration and they give you the bottom half which you need when you leave.
Also your will pay a $20 US departure tax when exiting the country

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Last Minute?

plink said:
:knockedou Hi all, jsut found this site. Can anyone tell me if there is a government website for the DR that will tell me entry requirements,etc.? planning 1st trip @ the end of aug. sort of a last minute thing and I want to make sure I am prepared.
thanks for any help you can give me.
Patty

6 weeks from now. Hell, I've gone Saturday after deciding to go on the Thursday before.

Have $10 US ready (in case you don't get one from the airline) , the tourist card is in Spanish and English both. You should have a passport but an ORIGINAL birth certificate and your drivers license will do. Ask the airline if the departure tax is in the ticket price - it is on AA for example and not usually on say Air Transat.

plink

Jul 14, 2004
ricktoronto said:
6 weeks from now. Hell, I've gone Saturday after deciding to go on the Thursday before.

Have $10 US ready (in case you don't get one from the airline) , the tourist card is in Spanish and English both. You should have a passport but an ORIGINAL birth certificate and your drivers license will do. Ask the airline if the departure tax is in the ticket price - it is on AA for example and not usually on say Air Transat.

Thanks Rick?
you don't understand for us that is short notice...it takes my hubby about that long to buy a car or a major purchase..LOL
anyway we have been to Aruba 2 x and have absolutely loved it there and did not want to be disappointed in this trip. we never needed a tourist card there just birth cert. don't want to make any mistakes that causes any delays at the airport. we have booked through apple so this is probably the $10 extra she was telling us about that was not covered in the booking price.
thanks for the help!!!

BigCity27

Mar 4, 2004
Hlywud said:
Bring a pen to fill out.
Don't even worry about filling it out. Before I'd just write my first name on it, but the past 4 trips I've just bought it and taken it over to them

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Probably Is.

plink said:
Thanks Rick?
you don't understand for us that is short notice...it takes my hubby about that long to buy a car or a major purchase..LOL
anyway we have been to Aruba 2 x and have absolutely loved it there and did not want to be disappointed in this trip. we never needed a tourist card there just birth cert. don't want to make any mistakes that causes any delays at the airport. we have booked through apple so this is probably the $10 extra she was telling us about that was not covered in the booking price.
thanks for the help!!!

The tourist card is in essence the replacement for a visa obtained in advance (which some DR visitors need, not you). It is, simply put , a cheap-a_s_s method of making hard currency, cheap-assified more so recently by reducing the # of days you can stay from 90 to 15, so they can charge a tax on leaving of a measly 60 cents.

Most countries other than USA , UK, Canada and Mexico charge for them - Chile charges you (US: $100, Canada $55) for a one time stamp , Nicaragua $7 per entry, etc. taxes, pure and simple. And really there is probably some fee in a US arrival in teh taxes on your ticket also.

DO NOT lose the bottom 1/2. Keep a colour copy of your passport page with the photo ( and maybe the entry stamp and tourist card after you arrive, in black and white) with you when walking about and never carry the original passport , leave that in the safe in your room until you go and keep the 1/2 of the tourist card with it.

You will probably get a one per family customs card on the plane as well, it amazingly enough is free. I put the name Knute Rockne on mine and then sneak past customs and throw it away.