Article examining dominican identity

Status
Not open for further replies.

wventura

Oct 21, 2003
http://www.las.iastate.edu/newnews/stinchcomb0308.shtml

Around LAS Archives March 8-21, 2004
Literary heritage

Despite little, if any cooperation, Dawn Stinchcomb persisted and wound up publishing a book.

Most people would have given up when faced with the response that Dawn Stinchcomb got when she started her research in the Dominican Republic.

Quitting was never on Stinchcomb's agenda.

"I'm not a quitter," the assistant professor of foreign languages and literatures said. ?"Anger is one of my best emotions. When I get angry I do my best work.

"They kept telling me that I couldn't do it," she continued. "I had to go back and finish the study for no other reason than I believe that Blas Jimenez is a great writer and that it was important to pull his and the voices of the others like his within the margins."

Jimenez is a Dominican Republic poet whose writings proudly affirm his black identity.

At least ninety percent of the population of the Dominican Republic is of African descent. But Stinchcomb found out that most of the general population and even the government denies that heritage.

During graduate school Stinchcomb was viewing a documentary on racism in Latin America. A portion of the documentary featured Jimenez and his experiences renewing his passport after returning from the United States.

"He tells the story of how he had to check his race on the passport application," Stinchcomb said. "He checked black but, even though he was obviously of African descent, the person at the passport office told him he couldn't be black and to go back and fill out the form correctly.

"I had never heard anything about this in Latin America - blacks who had to bury their blackness. This has contributed to a form of identity crisis in Dominican culture."

Stinchcomb's subsequent research indicated that the Dominican Republic's denial of its heritage dates back to the 1800s. The Dominican Republic is situated on an island with Haiti. The eastern portion of the island was colonized by the French, while the Spanish established a colony on what became the Dominican Republic.

In the 1800s, Haitian slaves overthrew the French landowners, killing most of them. Not wanting to meet the same fate, the Spanish white elite began a campaign of misinformation using literature as the mode of transmission.

"The white minority successfully convinced many blacks and others of African descent on the Dominican Republic side of the island that they didn't have anything in common with the blacks in Haiti," Stinchcomb said. "They compared the Haitians to barbarians and mass murderers with a strange religion.

"They created a myth that every person in the Dominican Republic had Spanish forefathers and an Indian mother. Most Dominicans still claim that their ethnic heritage is limited to the original Taino Indians and the Spanish to this day."

Stinchcomb has focused her research in her book on Dominican authors who embrace their African heritage. The University Press of Florida published her book, The Development of Literary Blackness in the Dominican Republic, earlier this year. Stinchcomb identifies and examines the role that race has played in the literature of the Dominican Republic.

But the path to the book wasn't an easy one for Stinchcomb. On her first trip to the country she was met with less than enthusiastic support for her work.

"That was a very depressing experience," she remembered. "I was looking for Afro-Dominican writers and everyone told me there was no such thing."

People would cancel interviews with her. She even had one person walk out during an interview.

When they thought that Stinchcomb was interested in canonical Dominican literature they were eager to discuss their work with her. But mention the work of Blas Jimenez and the discussions would stop. Blackness and Dominicanness are two very different things. Blackness opposes Dominican national identity.

"I would attend literary circles and I would bring up Blas' poetry and I was immediately silenced," she said.

A year later Stinchcomb returned to the island better prepared professionally and emotionally. She went to La Trinitaria, the country's capital's most important bookstore and literally spent days on the floor going through book after book by Dominican writers.

She also met with Jimenez and other Dominican authors proud of their African roots. These Afro-Dominican authors were writing their Afrocentric poetry before Blas Jimenez, but had been ignored because their national origins were not necessarily Dominican.

Stinchcomb's investigations revealed that despite the national rhetoric that denied the existence of blackness with Dominicanness, black writing did exist in the Dominican Republic.

The result was the concept of literary blackness and a book that Jimenez and UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) would like to see published in Spanish and distributed in the Dominican Republic.

"I feel very proud of what I've done," she said. "I hope I have given a voice to people who have been ignored and haven't been recognized for what they have done and have inspired others to do work in the future about other Afro-Dominican authors."

?1998-2003 College of Liberal Arts and Sciences"

I have the following quesitons:

1) Do you feel the work of Dawn Stinchcomb was at all important?

2) Do you think the two sentences that I put in bold, are accurate?

3) Do you find any of the things mentioned in this article to be a problem, in the dominican republic?

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
It's not that simple

wventura said:
http://www.las.iastate.edu/newnews/stinchcomb0308.shtml

I have the following quesitons:

1) Do you feel the work of Dawn Stinchcomb was at all important?

2) Do you think the two sentences that I put in bold, are accurate?

3) Do you find any of the things mentioned in this article to be a problem, in the dominican republic?

What I see is that the article does not mention that the DR was invaded and occupied by Haiti. It simply talks about the revolt against the French and how dominican whites began a campaing of fear etc. etc. I think every people has the right to its own identity and we should respect that. We should not convince the mulatto majority that they should call themselves "blacks". Everyone knows that mulattoes are partially black. No one can deny that. It is also known that, in the DR, mulattoes also absorbed the genes from the surviving Tainos. Since I am not Dominican, I can not answer those questions. I just wanted to give my opinion. Afro-centrism and the notion of race- biological race- above everything, runs counter to the feelings of many Dominicans, I suppose. Only when blackness is presented, along with the white and native heritages, rather than making an ethno centric issue of it- will Dominicans accept it, because that's the way it should be. I repeat that I am guessing based on the opinions of Dominicans themselves and my limited experience with these issues. I hope Dominicans who are well versed on this subject or who have strong opinions, give their points of view.

Last edited:

wventura

Oct 21, 2003
juancarlos said:
"I think every people has the right to its own identity and we should respect that.

Ok i guess that's fair enough.

We should not convince the mulatto majority that they should call themselves "blacks". Everyone knows that mulattoes are partially black.

Partially black???? No its more like they are partially white. The majority of the 'mulatto' dominicans, have a predominance of african ancestry. This is something that is incredibly obvious.

Also I dont think the article was implying that people should nessesarily identify as black, but just admit to being of african ancestry and be proud of that.

No one can deny that.

Actually thats what they deny, with the whole "indio" identity. Not even mullato but "indian". Something that dominicans are almost completely unrelated to.

Afro-centrism and the notion of race- biological race- above everything, runs counter to the feelings of many Dominicans, I suppose.

Maybe afro-centricism runs counter to the feeling of many domicans , but an emphasis on racial pride does not. Whiteness and "hispanidad" is what many people define as a crucial part of being dominican.

Only when blackness is presented, along with the white and native heritages, rather than making an ethno centric issue of it- will Dominicans accept it, because that's the way it should be.

I agree with this to a certain degree. But I think it is ironic that dominicans would only accept "blackness" when presented along with other ancestries, while the average dominican is more black than anything else.

Oche

Jan 6, 2004
I believe what one of the objectives of Mrs. Dawn Stinchcomb work was to somehow deny 500 hundred years of spanish culture heritage among the dominican population which is mostly composed of mulattoes by demonstrating and convincing that most of the population indeed has no spanish-white racial heritance. Now these mulattoes which compose the majority of the population, are well aware of their african ancestry, anyone who admits the opposite either is an extremely radical racist, doesn't know anything about dominican history or has never lived in the Dominican Republic.

In fact, i believe that the term "Afro-dominican", has no application whatsoever in dominican culture.

platanomami23

Nov 25, 2003
Dominican identity is the most important

I have visited the Dominican Republic numerous times and met many Dominicans from all walks of life. I wrote a research paper last Fall concerning the difference between Antihatianismo and Racism regarding political figures and presidential campaigns. I interviewed Dominicans from a variety of classes, skin colors, etc. The majority of them did admit to having African ancestry, but their pride in being Dominican comes from that complex history and the development of the Dominican people.

The history of the oppression and threat from Haiti back in the early years of Dominican development and independence still has overtones today. Part of the reason for the negative views of Haitians or Blacks comes for the same reason many Americans would not choose to go into the ghettos. Higher levels of poverty and crime shape the opinion of this group of people. Most Dominicans never come in contact with middle or upper class Haitians and therefore can only base their views on what they see in the bateys and slums.

People should be able to identify with and feel pride in whatever part of their ancestry they want to. If they feel more culturally connected to one part of their ancestry, that is their choice. Yes, there is some denial and/or disregard in the D.R. of the Black influence on their culture, but the same exists in the US and many other places. There are mixed people who "pass" as white in many parts of the world. Our American/Western scale of only having White, Black and Biracial does not fully encompass the complexity and diversity of the Dominican people. My friends have Lebanese/Arabic, French, Spanish, Taino, British, and African ancestries, and for some of them one part may be more important than another, but in the end they all have a Dominican identity. My family is almost 100% German and luckily they came over to the US long before the problems that led up to WWI and WWII. However, I grew up here and feel American, not German-American. I am proud of my ancestry, but it is not the major part of who I am today. The same attitude should be allowed for Dominicans just to be proud of being Dominican, and not feeling pressured to feel proud of their African roots just because "they have a little black behind the ears". (a common Dominican saying).

Oche

Jan 6, 2004
Well said platanomami23, that's how really people should feel about their ancestry, at least that is how somewhat i feel about mine. I'm a dominican falling under the small "white" group, my ancestors were very much mixed (as many other dominicans regardless of skin color), so i think is really difficult to show pride for just one race group when you by true facts know that you are one truly blended specimen like most of other ethnic social groups around the world. I believe that if someone is ever troubled by knowing his/her race/ethnic group origin, once he/she knows his/her roots, they really rest the case.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Excellent post platanomami23. Is your paper, perchance, available online?

BTW, there is a ban on DR1 on racial and religious issues. Since this is supposed to be about "culture" I will allow it. As soon as there is any poo flinging I will be back with a very bad attitude.

wventura

Oct 21, 2003
platanomami23 said:
The majority of them did admit to having African ancestry, but their pride in being Dominican comes from that complex history and the development of the Dominican people.

Its funny that people of mostly (or at least half) african ancestry would have to admit to having african ancestry.

Part of the reason for the negative views of Haitians or Blacks comes for the same reason many Americans would not choose to go into the ghettos. Higher levels of poverty and crime shape the opinion of this group of people.

What??? I dont follow you. People choose not to live in the ghetto because they want to live better. That doesnt have anything to do with being black.

Dominicans have negative views of blacks because thats what they have been taught, its just generations of racism.

Most Dominicans never come in contact with middle or upper class Haitians and therefore can only base their views on what they see in the bateys and slums.

That would explain their views of haitians, but what about blackness in the dominican republic.

People should be able to identify with and feel pride in whatever part of their ancestry they want to. If they feel more culturally connected to one part of their ancestry, that is their choice.

You dont find it at all unsettling that people of mostly african ancestry (the majority), would sware that they are spanish, and indian?

Being part of the african diaspora is the LAST thing dominicans would ever consider as part of their ancestural identity.

Yes, there is some denial and/or disregard in the D.R. of the Black influence on their culture, but the same exists in the US and many other places.

SOME????? Are you serious?? What about the national "indio" identity. You're ignoring this. And this type of denial is certainly not as extreme in the united states. Its a rarity to find an american of african descent who ashamed of that, and denies that.

You will never find an american that looks of obvious african ancestry, sware that they are not. The dominican republic is filled with these people.

The same attitude should be allowed for Dominicans just to be proud of being Dominican, and not feeling pressured to feel proud of their African roots just because "they have a little black behind the ears". (a common Dominican saying).

a LITTLE black behind the ears???? I dont know what dominicans you have been around, but they certainly dont have a "little", its more like they have a little white behind the ears.

In addtion I find puzzling, that you find it wrong for dominicans (in which the average is of mostly african ancestry), to be pressured to be proud of their ancestry.

Lastly no one directly answered the questions from the my original post.

wventura

Oct 21, 2003
Oche said:
In fact, i believe that the term "Afro-dominican", has no application whatsoever in dominican culture.

Why is that. Are you implying that there is no cultural aspect in the domican republic that is of african origin???

This is prooving the quote from the article that states:

"Blackness opposes Dominican national identity."

Narcosis

Dec 18, 2003
wventura said:
Why is that. Are you implying that there is no cultural aspect in the domican republic that is of african origin???

This is prooving the quote from the article that states:

"Blackness opposes Dominican national identity."

Platanomami23's post was brilliant.

Ventura what you seem to not understand is that you are viewing this whole issue from an "African-American" viewpoint and not a Dominican's viewpoint.

Black Americans seem to have an obsession with identifing with Africa, why? What do they have in common with Africa? close to nothing, just because MOST not all of Africans are black?

What do you call a white or light-skinned Tunisian living in the US? African-American? For God sakes they are just a few miles from Sicily and practically have the same genetic backround, as well as most southern Europeans, they all have a little black behind the ear sort-of-speak.

Black is just a color. There are blacks in almost every country on earth each identifing themselves with their native country not with Africa, get over it. It is our culture that identifies us as a nation, a nation that has adopted more elements from Spain than from Africa. Our language our base religion and many of our customs. This island was founded by Spanairds not Africans.

BTW: Dominicans refer to "indio" as a color and not as identifing as being a Taino. The common depiction of one as being between black and white...

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
There IS African influence in our culture, but guess what? We (the unwashed masses) don't even know which! I couldn't care less where my ancestors came from (unless there is money involved), it adds very little to what I already am. If given the chance, with no effort, sure, I'd like to know, if only out of curiousity.

My husband was working in Africa for about a year, his company pays for my ticket to visit him and I really wanted to go see for myself, alas, it couldn't be. He was transferred. Anyways, I had more curiosity to visit Spain (mostly about food), not because I particularly identify with Spain (at least no more than I do with Mexico, or the Philippines).

Now, denying that the VAST majority of our cultural characteristics came from Spain is just plain silly. We speak the language, follow the religion and, for god's sake, actually know where Spain is in a map. Not the same with Africa. I, along with most of humanity (black people in the US included) couldn't place more than a few African countries in a map and can't tell the difference between a Mbutsi and a Tutsi (can you?)

So, what's the big deal? I will not embrace my blackness, whiteness or blueness for that matter. I am much more than a color. IMHO, YMMV and all that.

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
This article explains alot of what I have observed on the island. Too many examples to even mention here. Bottom line for me: After 200 years of brainwashing, people will believe what they wish to believe...that is until they visit another country and cant put a check in the box labeled,"WHITE." LOL.
Thanks for sharing this article,
TEHAMA

Last edited:

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
"Being part of the african diaspora is the LAST thing dominicans would ever consider as part of their ancestural identity. " wrote wventura.

Frankly, I don't know of any white Latin American who identifies as part of the "Spanish, white or European Diaspora". None! The only ones who would do that would be very fringe, extremist groups of which few have heard anything about and who are influenced by a white supremacist, skinhead type of mentality. Something that is alien to this region. Similarly, it is not usual for black Latin Americans to view themselves as part of any "African Diaspora", even as they fight against prejudice and discrimination. This concept comes from the USA, from black Americans who are among the least African of blacks in the Americas, culturally speaking. On the other hand, the "Afro" influence in Latin America has reached many non-black people and is reflected in the music, every day words and religion of blacks, whites, mulatoes and mestizos and every other possible combination you can think of. This is true of Cuba, Brasil, Venezuela, Colombia, Panama but also of countries with large indigenous populations such as Peru and Ecuador, as well as overwhelmingly European nations, such as Uruguay, where blacks and mullatoes are a small minority. I would say that the same influence exists in the DR and to such an extent that it is probably taken for granted and not identified as "African" but simply as part of Dominican culture.

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Here we go again, let me shed my light (as a Dominican) on all of this...

Dominicans are happy the way they are, trust me, I'm a Dominican too.

We love what we are as Dominicans, we love our country, we love our music, we love our foklore, we love everything and anything that is Dominican.

The way Dominicans see the world is reflected in the way they act, including how nice they are, how positive they look at the world, how incredibly warm many foreigners feel when being welcomed by Dominicans.

The only people that have problems with Dominican identity is the foreigners, especially from the north! Most Caribbean societies care less about Dominican identity. Haiti hardly cares about Dominican Identity. The same applies with Jamaican, Mexican, Venezuelan, Spaniards, or even Colombians points of view of Dominican identity, nobody cares.

Dominicans are more than blacks and whites. We are mixed, absolutely different. For people that come from other countries where the notion of being mixed is absolutely intentionally ignored, it becomes hard for them to accept the Dominican identity. For them, a person that has dark skin must accept himself as Black or African, despite if that dark person has more mixtures than who knows who!

This past year I spend it in the US as many of you know. I'm back in the DR already, but I want to share with you a quick story of a Dominican Paisano that I met while I was in the US. This guy has dark skin, Dominican, and he looks at the world much how most Dominicans look at the world. According to the article here, he must accept his African heritage above all the other heritages in his life simply because his skin color is dark. The funny thing is this, if you go back into his family tree, not that far back at all, to his grandparents. Two of his grandmothers and one of his grandfathers were actually Dominican whites. Only his Grandfather from his Father side was 100% black. From that perspective, this guy is 75% white and 25% black, but his skin color is dark. Does that means that he needs to accept his 25% of blackness which displays itself via his skin color and ignore his 75% whiteness which displays itself in other forms, most likely in the skin color of his children?

If he was from a society that only saw the world in black and white, then yes, he would have to accept his blackness above everything. The issue is that he is part of the Dominican Republic, a country that has a much more accurate understanding of human racial mixtures, more than most countries I would say. I'm not saying he should ignore either his African or European heritage. He should embrace both, as he already is doing by being Dominican. How you may ask?

Look into this. Dominican Merengue is a mixture of European formality and African Rythms. Any Dominican that adores this type of music (which is all of them) are celebrating the mixture of races that exist in their country, within themselves.

In language, the Dominican Spanish is a mixture of cultures. When a Dominican says "no moors", meaning the coast is clear, that is an expression that came direct from Spain. However, the same Dominican uses the words "cachimbo" to denote smoking pipe and "un chin" to denote a little bit, and "un can" to denote a party, and guess what, those words are Tainos and African. So, even in Language Dominicans are unconsciously already celebrating our mixture of races.

In culinary aspect of society, every Dominican home recognizes and consumes Arroz con pollo y Habichuelas a food plate that is from Spanish origin. Those same Dominicans drewls over Chicharrones con tostones a dish developed by Africans. But, every Dominican can't eact the Chicharrones without a piece of delicious Casave, a Taino bread. We express our mixture and celebrate it even in our food.

In Architecture, the Dominican architecture embraces different elements from different races. The small wooden homes are decendants of the Taino's Bohios, the palaces and villas are decendant of Mediterranean Europe, and the "Fogones" found in many poor homes is something reminescent of Africa.

In religion, Dominicans believe in Mary and Jesus and God which are European religious icons. But Dominicans also believe in "mal de ojo" and "fucu's" which are African religious icons. Some Dominicans still pray for rain during times of drought while rubbing on a rosary, the perfect blend of cultures in the religious sphere.

You see, Dominicans already celebrate what they are, which is a mixture of things. The problem is not from within, but from abroad. Foreigners (not all, but many) can't bend their way of think which is usually rigid between lines of black and white, and they can't accept that there is a society in this world where people are recognized not just as being black or white, but also mixed. Dominicans look up to Spain for our cultural identity, we practice religion with a slight African and Taino touch, we listen to music that clearly shows the mixtures that makes up a Dominican!

Dominicans will never fall under the regimen of foreigners that can't accept us for who we are. We recognize that the world is more than black and white, we recognize that skin color is only part of the story, we recognize that being a Dominican is first and foremost than being anything racial that could harm our unity as a nation. For that reason and others, Dominicans will always identify themselves how they have been doing. And for those reasons and ignorance, foreigners will always try to make us less Dominicans and more of whatever kind of people those foreingers believe we should be.

I said it before and I'll say it again, only a Dominican knows what it is to be a Dominican. All other peoples can only guess and research. For that reason, it would be much appreciated the day when the world accept us for who we are and how we identify ourselves rather than trying to impose their belief systems on us. We are not superior to foreigners and foreigners are not superior to us, we are just different. Accept that. Thank you.

Last edited:

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
"I said it before and I'll say it again, only a Dominican knows what it is to be a Dominican. All other peoples can only guess and research. For that reason, it would be much appreciated the day when the world accept us for who we are and how we identify ourselves rather than trying to impose their belief systems on us. We are not superior to foreigners and foreigners are not superior to us, we are just different. Accept that. Thank you."

I think you've said it well, Nal0whs!

wventura

Oct 21, 2003
juancarlos said:
"Being part of the african diaspora is the LAST thing dominicans would ever consider as part of their ancestural identity. " wrote wventura.

Frankly, I don't know of any white Latin American who identifies as part of the "Spanish, white or European Diaspora". None!

YOU have got to be joking. Dominicans go on and on about how they are spanish. "Hispanidad", is the national ideology.

And dominicans have no problem identifiying as "white", but you can search the whole island and not find one person that would admit to being black.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
wventura said:
YOU have got to be joking. Dominicans go on and on about how they are spanish. "Hispanidad", is the national ideology.
And why is that a bad thing? No really, no irony, trust me, this is an honest to God question. Give me a reasonable (as in 'logic and reason'), objective answer on why Dominicans should or should not identify with whichever they chose to. Is it just as bad in your book if we chose not to 'identify' with anybody?

Are you also ignoring the underlying animosity against Spaniards prevalent in the country? Do you know enough about Dominicans to know about its existence?

wventura

Oct 21, 2003
Nal0whs said:
We love what we are as Dominicans, we love our country, we love our music, we love our foklore, we love everything and anything that is Dominican.

Dominicans are more than blacks and whites. We are mixed, absolutely different. For people that come from other countries where the notion of being mixed is absolutely intentionally ignored, it becomes hard for them to accept the Dominican identity. For them, a person that has dark skin must accept himself as Black or African, despite if that dark person has more mixtures than who knows who!

Then why are dominicans so desperate to claim "white"??? arent they more than just being white???

This past year I spend it in the US as many of you know. I'm back in the DR already, but I want to share with you a quick story of a Dominican Paisano that I met while I was in the US. This guy has dark skin, Dominican, and he looks at the world much how most Dominicans look at the world. According to the article here, he must accept his African heritage above all the other heritages in his life simply because his skin color is dark. The funny thing is this, if you go back into his family tree, not that far back at all, to his grandparents. Two of his grandmothers and one of his grandfathers were actually Dominican whites. Only his Grandfather from his Father side was 100% black. From that perspective, this guy is 75% white and 25% black, but his skin color is dark. Does that means that he needs to accept his 25% of blackness which displays itself via his skin color and ignore his 75% whiteness which displays itself in other forms, most likely in the skin color of his children?

Bullshit. "white" domninicans are mixed race as well, they are just lighter mulattos. 25% is rediculous, thats too insignificant, for somebody to have dark skin. That guy was dark because he had ALOT of afriacan ancestry from every side of his family.

If he was from a society that only saw the world in black and white, then yes, he would have to accept his blackness above everything. The issue is that he is part of the Dominican Republic, a country that has a much more accurate understanding of human racial mixtures, more than most countries I would say. I'm not saying he should ignore either his African or European heritage. He should embrace both, as he already is doing by being Dominican. How you may ask?

Well this "embracing both sides", doesnt happen in the D.R that much. If asked of ones "antepasados", african ancestors are the LAST thing a dominican (regardless of color), will mention. They have to ADMIT to it. Its incredible to see dominicans that look like they are strait out of Africa, brag about their pure spanish great grandfather, but ignore the rest of their ancestry.

You see, Dominicans already celebrate what they are, which is a mixture of things.

Bullshit. You will not find many dominicans celebrating their african ancestry. They will go on and on about spanish ancestry, other european ancestry, and Taino (even though its practically non-existent), but african ancestry never seems to come up, even though AFRICAN ANCESTRY IS THE LARGEST COMPONENT IN THE D.R.

wventura

Oct 21, 2003
Pib said:
Racially it may, but culturally... not by any strech of the imagination. What is about this fixation with 'identifying' with something or the other? Really?

I'm not implying that dominicans should choose one or the other. But why not both???

It just doenst happen.

It troubles me when the darkest, most african looking dominican is more proud of his/her white ancestry, and doesnt mention all of his other obvious ancestries.

Status
Not open for further replies.