Daewoo Automobiles

TCIDR

Sep 7, 2003
Are they reliable? Do any of you folk know or have experience with them?
I know that toyota is often recommended, but I've notice that daewoo 2000 models and over is usually amount the same price as much older model toyotas.
I've also notice that they don't seem to use much gasoline as it is said to be 1.5 liter and 2.0 liter engines

Can your shed your opinion regarding these vehicles...or even compare it with toyota

Thanks in advancce

Sanson

Apr 14, 2003
Stay with Toyota, and don`t think of changing one for a Daewoo. If they had the same level of quality, they would have + or - the same price.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
TCIDR said:
Can your shed your opinion regarding these vehicles...or even compare it with toyota

Thanks in advancce

Toyota vs Daewoo is equal to.....
Mercedez Benz vs Hyundai,
Duck a L'orange vs a Big Mac,
Dominican Republic vs Siberia,
The Waldorf vs Motel 6,
Boeing 777 vs a Cesna,
Lennox Lewis vs Pee Wee Herman,
Diamonds vs Zircons,
Should I go on?

jcarn

Jun 28, 2004
I'm from the us, I've never messed with a daewoo as they have pulled out of the US market because nobody brought thier crappy cars. However I would put them on par if not below than the level of quality of a kia or a hyundai.

Then again, when I was driving in DR I was driving a toyota corolla which while reliable wasnt that great..... (very very hard to drive over 80kph). Although it is possible that the quality of the roads experienced on my trip could have contributed to this, I dont really think so since I saw honda accords, mercedes benzes, and nissan pathfinders zooming past me with no problems. When I got back home it felt soooooooooooo goooooood to be back behind the wheel of my honda accord ex. I felt as if I was driving a luxury car.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
jcarn said:
Then again, when I was driving in DR I was driving a toyota corolla which while reliable wasnt that great..... (very very hard to drive over 80kph). Although it is possible that the quality of the roads experienced on my trip could have contributed to this, I dont really think so since I saw honda accords, mercedes benzes, and nissan pathfinders zooming past me with no problems. When I got back home it felt soooooooooooo goooooood to be back behind the wheel of my honda accord ex. I felt as if I was driving a luxury car.
Although Corollas are a bit road noisy, they usually handle the road fairly well, but if the car you were driving was a rental and had been Dominicanized, it's not surprising it felt unstable at high speeds.
As for your Honda Accord, is there a better car on planet Earth for the price?
Fast, reliable, luxurious, stable, roomy, comfy, smooth, quiet, stylish, what more could you ask for?

TCIDR

Sep 7, 2003
what are the observe problems with daewoos?
what are the obvious reasons that one can purchase a 2000 + model for under $5,000?
Ofcourse that only thing that is attract me to them is the price being almost new models
I haven't seen any of those vehicles up close before or know anything about thier history. I don't think we have any of those in Turks and Caicos. I've done a research and think it belongs to the koreans, and at one time they were paying people to drive them. Don't know how successful thier sales have been.
Where the Daewoo is concern, is the problem with the engine, body, or just not popular?
I've owned a toyota during my teenage years. They are so readily available in Provo and at similar prices as all the other model of vehicles. I've never chosen a car based on reliable, but mostly for the features. Here you have used model of Honda, Mazda, Toyota, and japanese version under $5K, so one can change a car in a short while if he doesn't like it...simply by selling the current one at a loss, add a little extra and there goes another model. I've never owned any particular model more than once..the vehicles that I've owned were toyota corolla, chev cav, plymount reliant, chrysler town and country, madza b2200 (this was the vehicle I've like most), nissan sunny and isuzi rodeo.
I have no experience in choosing cars, so please expand a bit on what you think is WRONG with the daewoos.
Rocky i was trying to analyse your comparison of the daewoom, but was unable to intrepret in which sense of the car. So with a more specific approach what's wrong with daewoos?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
To clarify

TCIDR said:
I have no experience in choosing cars, so please expand a bit on what you think is WRONG with the daewoos.
Rocky i was trying to analyse your comparison of the daewoom, but was unable to intrepret in which sense of the car. So with a more specific approach what's wrong with daewoos?
To be more clear, a Daewoo is basically a 4 wheeled mobile piece of junk made out of old recycled beer cans.
It is cheaply made in all aspects.
There is a reason that they are so cheap.
They have a saying in this country. "Lo barato, sale caro"
Cheap stuff costs more.
What's a better deal? Buying a radio for 100 bucks that lasts you 10 years or buying one for 50 bucks that lasts you 6 months and sounded like shyte the 6 months that it did work.
It's a question of understanding the meaning of value.
Garbage has little or no value. It may cost less that a quality item, but it's a complete waste of money.
Marco.

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Daewoo has made some fairly reliable trucks in the past but their attempt at making cars has proven to be a dismal failure. Knew some folks who had a dealership in Colorado...first couldn't get the ccars, then couldn't get the parts to fix them...Don't know if they ever got reimbursed for warranty repairs...

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
Rocky said:
To be more clear, a Daewoo is basically a 4 wheeled mobile piece of junk made out of old recycled beer cans.
It is cheaply made in all aspects.
There is a reason that they are so cheap.
They have a saying in this country. "Lo barato, sale caro"
Cheap stuff costs more.
What's a better deal? Buying a radio for 100 bucks that lasts you 10 years or buying one for 50 bucks that lasts you 6 months and sounded like shyte the 6 months that it did work.
It's a question of understanding the meaning of value.
Garbage has little or no value. It may cost less that a quality item, but it's a complete waste of money.
Marco.

Marco, don't white wash it, tell us how you really feel!

Joe

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Anyone who actually lives in the Dr,KNOWS,that "Toyota" is the ONLY way to go!

Now,if I lived in the US,"Honda" might be better,here's why. PARTS,PARTS,and they,oh yes,PARTS!
In the DR,from "Land Cruiser,4 Runner,Tacoma,Camry,Corrola,and even that little 'Piece-Of $hit",you can find lots & lots of cheap used parts,and people to fix the carThe Honda costs more,and it is much more difficult,and expensive,to find parts!
Now,you have decided to buy a 4 or 5 year old Toyota,imported from the US.Be careful!
When I was looking about 6 years ago,I found lots of them.When I went to see them,they all had about 60 thousand miles on the odometer.They sellers swore that that was the correct mileage.But he forgot to remove the "Jiffy Oil Change sticker that said "Your Next oil change due at 330,000 miles or after 3 months!!So check for the oil change stickers on the window,or door frame.Dominicans are good liars,Good,but not SMART!!
I suggest that you but from a "Rich" family,not from a car dealer.I bought my wife's 94 Hyundai from a rich lawyer 6 years ago.He even did the title and transfer for free!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Honda vs Toyota

Criss Colon said:
Now,if I lived in the US,"Honda" might be better,here's why. PARTS,PARTS,and they,oh yes,PARTS!
In the DR,from "Land Cruiser,4 Runner,Tacoma,Camry,Corrola,and even that little 'Piece-Of $hit",you can find lots & lots of cheap used parts,and people to fix the carThe Honda costs more,and it is much more difficult,and expensive,to find parts!
Now,you have decided to buy a 4 or 5 year old Toyota,imported from the US.Be careful!
When I was looking about 6 years ago,I found lots of them.When I went to see them,they all had about 60 thousand miles on the odometer.They sellers swore that that was the correct mileage.But he forgot to remove the "Jiffy Oil Change sticker that said "Your Next oil change due at 330,000 miles or after 3 months!!So check for the oil change stickers on the window,or door frame.Dominicans are good liars,Good,but not SMART!!
I suggest that you but from a "Rich" family,not from a car dealer.I bought my wife's 94 Hyundai from a rich lawyer 6 years ago.He even did the title and transfer for free!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
I have been driving Hondas in this country now for 4 1/2 years and have no difficulty whatsoever finding new or used parts. When I first moved here, I would have agreed with you, but the trend is towards Hondas more than Toyotas these days, as you will see when you are comparing prices of equivalent models, the Hondas now sell for more, as more and more people are awakening to them being better cars than Toyotas. I still think that a Toyota is as reliable as a Honda, but the Honda has better finishing, usually faster, quiter and a better handler.

Toyota, reliable

I should say so, I had a 1980 Toyota tercel, used it for work and business, sold it with 790,000 km on it and the buyer drove it for 2 more years. Tires, brakes and battery were the only repairs in the 11 years I owned it, in fact at 680,000 km it had a Toyoata recall for a free rear suspension.

Rocky by the way Daewoo is now owned by General Motors and their new 2004 models here in Canada absolutely "Rock"

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hlywud said:
Rocky by the way Daewoo is now owned by General Motors and their new 2004 models here in Canada absolutely "Rock"
I remember the year I bought my brand new Pontiac Bonneville SSE and it was voted car of the year. After 30,000 km, not miles, it already felt loose and old and had suffered a major breakdown (broken axle).
Daewoo being owned or even manufactured by an American company doesn't impress me too much.
Even if they improve it, it will still probably be their bottom of the line bucket of bolts, made by an industry that doesn't exactly crank out world class cars.
If a 2004 Daewoo looks good right now, let's give it the real test, like your Toyota, before getting excited and calling it a good car.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Toyota or Honda's may be good cars, but I really like the
Toyota Land Cruiser Prada. I just bought one (its an SUV, BTW) and its so nice. I fell in love with it when I saw it the other day, hopefully it will come in handy on those days I decide to go to Jarabacoa or "the Campo" and I decide to use the backroads for a little adventure!

BTW, I just wonder, is Daewoo a modern day re-encarnation of the Hugo?
Talk about horrible cars, Hugo tops that list! :knockedou

Freemo

May 26, 2003
Daewoos are just sooooo Ugly

No-one in their right mind would buy one of these monsters. The guy who designed them obviously had the last laugh before the company fired him.

If you buy one, you have to be, old, frumpy, half blind, cheap.

Paul

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Rocky said:
Although Corollas are a bit road noisy, they usually handle the road fairly well, but if the car you were driving was a rental and had been Dominicanized, it's not surprising it felt unstable at high speeds.
As for your Honda Accord, is there a better car on planet Earth for the price?
Fast, reliable, luxurious, stable, roomy, comfy, smooth, quiet, stylish, what more could you ask for?
Fast? Not unless you get a 17 year old to some major tweaking to the motor. Reliable? Sure. Luxurious? You need to get out more. Stable? HUH? Roomy? An Accord maybe but a civic? Comfy? smooth? Quiet? So is my sofa.
Stylish? In a lower-middle class, boring, generic, no personality kind of way...sure.

Anyway. The Daewoo is a fairly pedestrian make of vehicle. Inexpensive with cheap parts. If you are the type of person who knows how to maintain a vehicle and willing to do so it can be a faily economical alternative to the overpriced but easily maintained Toyota.

quejeyoke

Jun 20, 2004
A Daewoo is a Korean car which is basically a masked 1987 Hiundai Excel ready to break down as soon as you get one. I have even seen crappy Daewoo TV's that are too big to fit inside a cereal box. Stick with the best, Japanese or german car all the way>>>