Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Centipedes

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Centipedes

Having occasionally found "baby" centipedes in the bottom of our pool I wonder if anyone can help with the following questions:

When does a centipede mature enough so that its bite becomes dangerous or are they born deadly?

What should one do if bitten - how long have you got before paralysis / death starts to spoil your day? And where do you go to seek help?

Has anyone got a first hand experience who would like to comment?

Thanks

Simon & Nicky

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Weren't you the people with the tree frogs? The Dominican wildlife sure has it in for you folks. Seriously, if these are very small, they are millipedes, not centipedes, not in baby form, that is the normal size & they don't bite. That's if they are less than 11/2 inches. There is a variety of centipede, much larger, about 4-5 inches, which looks "horny" if you'll forgive the expression. I don't know if those bite because we tend to kill them. The very small ones are harmless.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default if you do not get an "allergic" reaction to a bee sting.....

...then you are absolutely not going to die from "venom" of any living creature in the DR. If you do have reactions then you had better start finding some "stick pens" before you do end up with problems when you get stung. Its that simple.

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
    Post Thanks / Like

Default You crack me up.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon & Nicky
    Having occasionally found "baby" centipedes in the bottom of our pool I wonder if anyone can help with the following questions:

When does a centipede mature enough so that its bite becomes dangerous or are they born deadly?

What should one do if bitten - how long have you got before paralysis / death starts to spoil your day? And where do you go to seek help?

Has anyone got a first hand experience who would like to comment?

Thanks

Simon & Nicky
    Thanks for all your entertaining posts, Simon. I love a good chuckle and always look forward to reading your stuff.
    Ok, on to centipedes.
    I'm not sure why someone is suggesting that your baby centipedes are actually millipedes, (I'm confident that you can tell the difference between 100 and 1,000) and I am quite familiar with these monsters.
    They are unquestionably the most venomous critters on this island and I do appreciate your concern.
    Although they are not known to kill adults, I am told that they could kill a baby.
    When these guys grow up to be 8 to 10 inches long, they are to be avoided. Killing them is not an easy task either.
    If you need to know what to do in case of being bitten, I would suggest you speak to Dr. Gideon at the Cabarete clinic (Servi Med).
    If you need the phone number, give me a call or send me a message.
    Gideon has lived here for well over 10 years and I believe him to be the most reputable GP on the North coast.
    If he doesn't know the answer, he will know someone who does.

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    Thanks for all your entertaining posts, Simon. I love a good chuckle and always look forward to reading your stuff.
    Ok, on to centipedes.
    I'm not sure why someone is suggesting that your baby centipedes are actually millipedes, (I'm confident that you can tell the difference between 100 and 1,000) and I am quite familiar with these monsters.
    They are unquestionably the most venomous critters on this island and I do appreciate your concern.
    Although they are not known to kill adults, I am told that they could kill a baby.
    When these guys grow up to be 8 to 10 inches long, they are to be avoided. Killing them is not an easy task either.
    If you need to know what to do in case of being bitten, I would suggest you speak to Dr. Gideon at the Cabarete clinic (Servi Med).
    If you need the phone number, give me a call or send me a message.
    Gideon has lived here for well over 10 years and I believe him to be the most reputable GP on the North coast.
    If he doesn't know the answer, he will know someone who does.
    Centipedes are not "deadly" to anyone, unless they cause anaphylactic shock to an allergic person.

Their sting is similar to a bee and is produced from the "claws" positioned just behind the head. Most centipedes can not even pierce human skin

Post Thanks / Like

Default Not deadly?

Quote Originally Posted by KrackedKris
    Centipedes are not "deadly" to anyone, unless they cause anaphylactic shock to an allergic person.

Their sting is similar to a bee and is produced from the "claws" positioned just behind the head. Most centipedes can not even pierce human skin
    As per the
    http://bioweb.uwlax.edu/zoolab/Table...centipedes.htm website,
    "Centipede bites produce a burning pain, with those from large species causing nausea and temporary paralysis. Deaths have occurred."
    Don't kid yourself, these puppies here in the DR can put the hurt on you.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Simon & his Centipedes!!

Next time you pass Dr. Bob the vet next to Coastal, just pop in and see him. He's got the venemous ones in a glass jar and he'll tell you all about them. Plus any other creatures that you're likely to encounter in your new zoo!!
    See ya on the beach...........
    Don Pedro

Post Thanks / Like

Default Kool

Quote Originally Posted by Peter & Alex
    Next time you pass Dr. Bob the vet next to Coastal, just pop in and see him. He's got the venemous ones in a glass jar and he'll tell you all about them. Plus any other creatures that you're likely to encounter in your new zoo!!
    See ya on the beach...........
    Don Pedro
    That would mean that Dr. Bob would have the answers for you, Simon.
    If you need his number, let me know.
    Marco.

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    As per the
    http://bioweb.uwlax.edu/zoolab/Table...centipedes.htm website,
    "Centipede bites produce a burning pain, with those from large species causing nausea and temporary paralysis. Deaths have occurred."
    Don't kid yourself, these puppies here in the DR can put the hurt on you.
    http://www.pharmacy.arizona.edu/cent...ntipedes.shtml

I suppose we can all find "hundreds" of references on the Internet to substantiate claims, disprove other etc.

After reading a few dozen of these sites, I stand by my original post. A centipede CAN cause pain and localized swelling, I don't think they are the "monsters" of Rocky's dreams, but best not to "play" with them.

I think the University of Arizona (Specifically the pharmacy dealing with poison) is quite knowledgeable

The famed arthopod scientist J. L. Cloudsley-Thompson once explained that “centipedes seem to exert a weird fascination on the morbid appetites of the hysterical and insane.”
    Last edited by KrackedKris; 07-17-2004 at 10:25 AM.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Stick Pen .....

I've got this funny image in my head of a fu**ing huge foot long centipede attached to my leg while I try to assault it with a pen of "bite ease".

I'm a little concerned that I've been referred to a Vet for assistance by two of the guys who know me more than most. Thanks a lot.

I'm reliably told that these critters cause permanent paralysis and many Haitian sugar cane cutters have lost limbs after being bitten. If nobody else was aware of the danger then at least it's brought it to their attention. Thanks for the advice but i'm still curious about the venom in the small blue baby ones. Any more advice would be useful.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast