Somebody save me Please !!!

El diablo

Jun 9, 2004
Hi all, well where to start, I have visited the Dr on 3 occasions as a tourist, I just about managed to get on the plane to come back to sunny old England on Monday. I am considering being a little crazy and just leaving here to be there with you lucky people. I am fully aware living and visiting are worlds apart, so I just wanted some good info on living costs how to gain employment (if poss) and any other nasty surprises I may encounter. I'd be really grateful for any feedback I know it is a bit of a wide subject, and you've more than likley heard it all before! Please help a gringa in distress!!!

Chester4

*** Sin Bin ***
Feb 12, 2004
Living in sunny DR

El diablo said:
Hi all, well where to start, I have visited the Dr on 3 occasions as a tourist, I just about managed to get on the plane to come back to sunny old England on Monday. I am considering being a little crazy and just leaving here to be there with you lucky people. I am fully aware living and visiting are worlds apart, so I just wanted some good info on living costs how to gain employment (if poss) and any other nasty surprises I may encounter. I'd be really grateful for any feedback I know it is a bit of a wide subject, and you've more than likley heard it all before! Please help a gringa in distress!!!

Hello Diablo ... it is no surprise to me that you feel this way about the Dominican Republic. I felt the same after visiting the DR 5 years ago and could not settle for living back in the UK.

I decided to sell everything in England 2 and a half years ago and have been living here in Sosua with my 2 children.

It is not easy living here and the DR is not for everyone but I have not regretted the move. I don't know if you are on your own or have children etc. you need to do a lot of homework and find out a lot of information before you decide to move over here. Keep asking questions.

I would be happy to help with any questions you need answering and I am sure the people on DR1 would be too.

Good Luck !

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Well Diablo I am currently living in Sosua and just did exactly what you are considering. I am from Canada and moved here two weeks ago and I basically did it on a whim. I had been to the area many times and I had had it with my job. I came alone and basically knew no one outside of a few acquaintances. I have not been here long enough to tell you whether I made the right decision but so far so good. It took me about a week to find an apartment and I totally lucked out finding one for 4,000 pesos/month (aprox. $85 U.S.) with 24 hour electricity and it's in El Batey (basically in the center of Sosua within walking distance to everything). However, from people I spoke to and from my search for an apartment, it is hard to find something for less than $200 - $300 U.S./month. As for finding a job, it's very very hard. This is not a country where you can apply for something from abroad - it takes hard work and dedication to find something worth working at. Although you will read many times on this board that moving here is not like coming on holidays, you can't even imagine until you are here. I have to admit that I have felt a little homesick at times but I am feeling much better every day. Yes I am living in paradise but there are just so many things that are culturally different from home that it's all a little overwhelming at first. Making friends here is easy so don't worry about that. My view of picking up your life and moving here is this - worst case scenario is that if you come and don't like it after 4 months or so, you can always go home and will have had a wonderful experience in the meantime. Life is short - live it.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
El Diablo,
Are you a female? And if you are, this isn't about a fella, is it? Depending on the answer to that, the advice will vary quite considerably!! From another Brit. 12 years here, & I won't be leaving until in my box! :mad:

Chester4

*** Sin Bin ***
Feb 12, 2004
Lambada said:
El Diablo,
Are you a female? And if you are, this isn't about a fella, is it? Depending on the answer to that, the advice will vary quite considerably!! From another Brit. 12 years here, & I won't be leaving until in my box! :mad:

Hi Lambada... I am a female living here with my 2 children and its not about any fella. We have a great life here although a little difficult sometimes. Both my children have learnt to speak spanish and I am learning the language now.
Could'nt wait to get out of the UK with all that cold rainy weather.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Chester4,
Far be it for me to enquire whether YOUR decision was based on a fella......I wouldn't be so bold! :classic: I was asking El diablo if HER (if she is a she) decision was in any way linked to this......viz. I was giving a heads up to protect herself against accusations of sankie chasing! Obviously, you know her/him & know her decision is purely climate driven......you can tell her welcome to the non-hypothermic world!

El diablo

Jun 9, 2004
Hi Chester

Yep I certainly am female and no this has nothing to do with any fella. I am fully aware of the sankie culture which can be found in the DR!!! Just fancy living my life a little whilst i am still young enough and have no responsibilities. Being a brit yourself you must understand how rubbish this country is! I'm sick of the rat race, any info would be very much appreciated.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Hi El diablo,
Yep. Totally understand you wanting to leave the rat race. I only visit uk once every 2 years & each time feel more & more like a foreigner there. Use the search function to see past threads about moving here, & then come back with specific questions & I'm sure everyone here will do their best to help.
So glad it is nothing to do with a fella! :classic: That simplifies matters enormously!

El diablo

Jun 9, 2004
Lambada said:
Hi El diablo,
Yep. Totally understand you wanting to leave the rat race. I only visit uk once every 2 years & each time feel more & more like a foreigner there. Use the search function to see past threads about moving here, & then come back with specific questions & I'm sure everyone here will do their best to help.
So glad it is nothing to do with a fella! :classic: That simplifies matters enormously!

Thanks very much Lambada, will have a look around and get back to you with anything I become confused over !!! :confused: