DR ranks 98th but Sweden ranks 2nd !!!

Voyager

Mar 1, 2004
Hey, did you see below quoted article?

In the list from UNDP, Sweden (my native country) comes second!!! And DR ranks 98!!!

So maybe it is time for you guys to relocate to Sweden!? I can teach you the language! My rate is a mere US$100 per hour! Hehehehehe! :laugh:

From DR, 17 July, 2004:

UN Human Development Report
The United Nations Human Development report, that presents an analysis of data up to 2002, indicates that human development indicators for the Dominican Republic has primarily remained stable. The analysis is part of the Human Development Report 2004, Cultural Liberty in Today’s Diverse World, released yesterday in Brussels.
The DR index is 0.738. The report shows that income per capita is at US$6,640, slightly up from US$6,450 in 2001. Educational parameters show improvement. Those registered in elementary or secondary schools increased from 74 to 77% (58th of 176 countries), while adults literacy increased from 84 to 84.4%.
The country analysis shows a success story up to 2002 in regards to improvements in the number of children registered in grade school. The DR advanced from 58% in the beginning of the 90s to 97% for the 2001/2 period.
The DR gender statistics show women ranking 68th of 176 in regards to Dominican women in Congress (only 15% of congresspeople were women), 30th in regards to women in managerial positions, 46th regarding professional women (same level as Germany), 71th in wages received by women, while 133rd in wages compared to men’s wages.
Life expectancy averages 66.7 years, the same as in the previous report and 115th of 177 countries. Up to 2002, there were also advances in the child (those under one year) mortality rate, which went from 41,000 to 32,000. Mortality of children up to five years old went from 47,000 to 38,000. Maternal mortality remained the same at 230 per 100,000 births.
The DR is ranked 98th among 177 regarding human development, and 71th regarding Gross Domestic Product. The Office of Human Development of the United Nations Development Program says that the indicators show that the country has not taken advantage of its high level of GDP per capita to achieve higher levels of human development. The DR is 27 levels below its income level.
http://hdr.undp.org/

Voyager

Mar 1, 2004
Swedes are the coloured ones!!!

ERICKXSON said:
yada, yada, yada, yada who wants to go to Sweden ?

(NOBODY)

i guess is too white you guys need some color (LOL)

Hm... Allow me to disclose a little known fact: Swedes are really the coloured ones! When we are born, we are pink! In the winter, we are blue! In early summer, we are red! In late summer we are brown! And when we die, we turn grey...

Dominican people are just... black! Black is not even a colour, but the absence of colour! Have you ever seen a rainbow, with black in it?

Only joking... I get your point! There are actually quite a few Dominicans in Sweden!

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
hejsan!

i live in sweden and am dominican :)

how often do they do those researches?

Last edited:

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Voyager said:
There are actually quite a few Dominicans in Sweden!
A good friend of mine included.

Now, about those lessons: If you can teach me Danish, and are willing to consider the same rate in pesos you got yourself a deal. :classic:

Voyager

Mar 1, 2004
Pib said:
A good friend of mine included.

Now, about those lessons: If you can teach me Danish, and are willing to consider the same rate in pesos you got yourself a deal. :classic:

Wow! You are offering me a job! :cheeky:

Let me see now... if I spend 20 hours a day, bringing the fruits of erudition to your starving soul, and do it 6 days a week, that will give me... an income of 12,000 pesos a week!!!

Only problem is, I live in Saudi-Arabia! So let's meet halfway, shall we? The Cap Verde islands every Tuesday and Thursday night! You pay for my expenses!

Seriously, though, when (if?) I go to DR, I will teach you Scandinavian languages if you teach me Spanish! And I will bring a danish (=pastry!) for the coffe!

Voyager

Mar 1, 2004
Lambada said:
John,
In case you didn't know......Pib's husband is from Nordic lands!

Hello Lambada!

Oh, I didn't know that! Thanks for the valuable info, before I starting flirting too much! Hahaha!

So she is a lucky girl then! Scandinavian men are generally very sweet and loving. And we can cook too!

By the way, what are you doing up at this hour? It's midnight where you live! Ever heard of "sleeping"? Tomorrow is Monday...

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
He posts as Bok on these boards.

Anyways... do contact us when you are around here. Sure I only know 5 of six words of Danish (I can say sk?l), but we speak English at Casa Pib, so we'll be able to sample some Presidentes, or Aquavit, as you may prefer, while my husband and you go at each other's throat in the time-honored Danish-Swedish tradition. :D

Voyager

Mar 1, 2004
Muchas gracias por (para?) ese invitacion muy bueno!

Pib said:
He posts as Bok on these boards.

Anyways... do contact us when you are around here. Sure I only know 5 of six words of Danish (I can say sk?l), but we speak English at Casa Pib, so we'll be able to sample some Presidentes, or Aquavit, as you may prefer, while my husband and you go at each other's throat in the time-honored Danish-Swedish tradition. :D

Thank you for the nice invitation!

I will arrive in Santo Domingo on Friday 13th August (Ay, Dios mio!) and will stay in DR for two weeks, together with my "damsel of delirious desires", as I call her!

So hopefully, there will be an opportunity for me to brag to your husband that Sweden beat Denmark in the listing from UNDP report!

And don't worry about your limited skills in the Scandinavian languages! As you can see from the title line, my attempts at Espanol is quite abusive to the language. Aarghh! The only expressions I am fluent in are these: "Mi amor!", "Mi Vida!", "Mi Corazon!" and "Un besito, Carino mio!" ;)

I will write you a PM with more details. No need to go public on everything.

Sk?l!

Arve

Oct 13, 2002
Having done both I can safely recommend DR.:)

Sweden..brrrrrrrr... The typical Swede is subdued and oppressed by
conformity. :) ( Before you ask how the typical Norwegian is: The
Norwegian isn't typical! ) The place is full of lesbian feminism, aristocratic
snottery and dodgy musicians. ;) Free Helge Fossmo!!!!

As for the Danes, one can't but love their laid back decadence and their
Laudrups.:) Learning Danish is achieved by first learning Norwegian, which
is a tad easier. Then boil a medium sized potato and place it in your
mouth while still stupidly hot, and ya - yap away.

Me ( who's neither sweet, loving nor known for my cooking skills though. )

PS: Norway won!!
PPS: Spare at thought for shitty Sierra Leone. :) If things are bad in DR
and Sweden, they are most definately worse down there.:)

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
Arve said:
As for the Danes, one can't but love their laid back decadence and their
Laudrups.:) Learning Danish is achieved by first learning Norwegian, which
is a tad easier. Then boil a medium sized potato and place it in your
mouth while still stupidly hot, and ya - yap away.

i've heard the same about danes, but substitute the potato with porridge (no offense!).

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
Voyager said:
Hm... Allow me to disclose a little known fact: Swedes are really the coloured ones! When we are born, we are pink! In the winter, we are blue! In early summer, we are red! In late summer we are brown! And when we die, we turn grey...

Dominican people are just... black! Black is not even a colour, but the absence of colour! Have you ever seen a rainbow, with black in it?

Only joking... I get your point! There are actually quite a few Dominicans in Sweden!

Here we go again (BLACK BLACK BLACK) so what?

Voyager

Mar 1, 2004
I am sorry!

ERICKXSON said:
Here we go again (BLACK BLACK BLACK) so what?

Here we again again WHAT???

Jesus, I was making a joke and if you read it again, it is pointed just as much at Swedes as it is at Dominicans!

Another example: When I am with my Philippino friends, I call myself Johnny Maputi, which is a drift with myself. ("maputi" = pale skin)

Anyway, if I offended you, it was certainly not my intention at all! I am sorry! Desculpa mio!

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
Voyager said:
Here we again again WHAT???

Jesus, I was making a joke and if you read it again, it is pointed just as much at Swedes as it is at Dominicans!

Another example: When I am with my Philippino friends, I call myself Johnny Maputi, which is a drift with myself. ("maputi" = pale skin)

Anyway, if I offended you, it was certainly not my intention at all! I am sorry! Desculpa mio!

Mr. Traveler in no way i was offended by your words.

pasha

Sep 4, 2003
I wouldn't trust....

any of the so-called balanced reports out of the United Nations....especially UNDP, which is over run (like all the rest of the agencies) with Swedes who love those cushy Country Director jobs. Think that's the same lot that ranked the French system as world's best health care.

Just a bunch of professional blood suckers IMHO. There are agendas my dear friend and the UN in general has mastered the art of bureaucratic manipulation of world public opinion.

Want a taste of reality? Just Google the Oil for Food Program and keep your waste basket handy for projectile vomiting. Or type in these key words:
"Miasma of Corruption" and read the report carefully.

Best, P

PS - I spent five years with the UN, the last one as one agency's principal fraud investigator. Had to finally throw in the towel this time last year when it became too depressing to handle.