Is this true?

DaveinNY

Jul 9, 2004
I heard from a friend, though it seems improbable, that someone they knew was arrested in the Dominican Republic for wearing camoflage and actually did 2 months. What I suspect is really the case is that he got arrested for something, got stupid with the cop and it escalated from there. Still, the question remains - is it illegal to wear camoflage there?

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
Completely possible. I once read of a comedian (I think it was a comedian anyways) getting arrested for wearing a military uniform in a skit on DR television.

IMHO, the military in this country only serves to intimidate and pick up trash after storms.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
No problem for wearing military-like or camoflage clothes, what's illegal is the use of military emblems that denote service or rank. The comedian was arrested for wearing rank assigned to colonels. More often than not I wear military-like clothing when out in the countryside, and never have I had problems with official authority.

Mirador

quejeyoke

Jun 20, 2004
try that by walking by the PN barracks in SD that's right by the Hispaniola hotel. The thugs in uniform will bust your balls big time by wearing camos in SD. For some unknown reason, seeing you wearing camos will have these military thugs fielding you out for rank as the act like they doing the "right thing" and aproach you. When they see you're a civilian, they bust your b's for "concerning them" with yourself camoed out on the scene, as if of all things you could be plotting a coup. I had a friend that wore his friend's US Army Class A's along with first leutenant ranks on him to a club, [of course the suit didn't have the Army stitch] la Guacara I think, and he had a freaggin' young DR 2nd leutenant saluting him IN the club and my friend busted his b's WITH a straight face for being in the club, before "releasing" him to enjoy himself at the club. It took me a couple "grandes" to accept his story though, but it's not hard to imagine... So any type of military gear concerns them.

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
DaveinNY said:
I heard from a friend, though it seems improbable, that someone they knew was arrested in the Dominican Republic for wearing camoflage and actually did 2 months. What I suspect is really the case is that he got arrested for something, got stupid with the cop and it escalated from there. Still, the question remains - is it illegal to wear camoflage there?

It's illegal to wear anything that resembles the uniform of a police or military personel. Of course, just because its illegal that means nothing in the DR for most laws. Except that this law is one of the few the police actually enforce, so don't wear camoflauge. I don't see the appeal in those things anyways. :pirate:

KrackedKris

On Vacation!
Apr 8, 2004
quejeyoke said:
try that by walking by the PN barracks in SD that's right by the Hispaniola hotel. The thugs in uniform will bust your balls big time by wearing camos in SD. For some unknown reason, seeing you wearing camos will have these military thugs fielding you out for rank as the act like they doing the "right thing" and aproach you. When they see you're a civilian, they bust your b's for "concerning them" with yourself camoed out on the scene, as if of all things you could be plotting a coup. I had a friend that wore his friend's US Army Class A's along with first leutenant ranks on him to a club, [of course the suit didn't have the Army stitch] la Guacara I think, and he had a freaggin' young DR 2nd leutenant saluting him IN the club and my friend busted his b's WITH a straight face for being in the club, before "releasing" him to enjoy himself at the club. It took me a couple "grandes" to accept his story though, but it's not hard to imagine... So any type of military gear concerns them.

Your friend and his firend were damm lucky a US militray officer didn't happen to be in teh area. Imperosnating for one and discharge for the reall "butterbar"

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Is that for real? What is it to do with the U.S. military if someone impersonates in another country? If I "borrowed" for example, French military apparel & wore it in the DR, I would hardly expect French soldiers to have the right to arrest me. If it was an offence on the DR statute book (whatever that is!) then Dominican police would have the right to arrest me, if it wasn't, they wouldn't.

KrackedKris

On Vacation!
Apr 8, 2004
Lambada said:
Is that for real? What is it to do with the U.S. military if someone impersonates in another country? If I "borrowed" for example, French military apparel & wore it in the DR, I would hardly expect French soldiers to have the right to arrest me. If it was an offence on the DR statute book (whatever that is!) then Dominican police would have the right to arrest me, if it wasn't, they wouldn't.

I'm not so sure the Dominican Authorities would not cooperate and let Federal Statuse be tried back in the United States

I'm sure the Patriot Act has a blurb for just such a situation, be heading or something similar

KrackedKris

On Vacation!
Apr 8, 2004
Lambada said:

And the Soldier lending the uniform would surely have a problem, it does not matetr where a US military member commits an offense, it is prosecutable under the nearest Courts Martial

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I'm sure it does!!!!!
But to take another example, suppose it was illegal in uk to impersonate the Queen of England (it probably is, but as I'm not a monarchist I have no interest in finding out!) & suppose I impersonated the Queen here in the DR. Do you really think I'd be deported to uk to face justice?
Or are you saying this is purely a U.S. thing & the long arm of the patriot act is everywhere?

Keith&Cris

Aug 22, 2002
www.keithbroad.com
Sure... wear a military-type uniform for fun anywhere in the world and see what it gets you!!! Whoever you are, wherever you are, you're a dumb f**k! Wear camo down the streets of Vancouver, Canada (the world's most passive place), and you'll get "frowned upon" (our equivalent of USA's bullet through the brain-pan).
Get real, and get along.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
hee hee hee. On my first trip so B.C./S.D...i kept on seeing guys wearing camoflage pants....and thought it was a fashion trend!!!!! :D . Took me a couple of days to realize the guy i was checking out in the cam's had a gun sticking out of this belt .

Just had to share that one....too funny

jj

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Hey, my husband has been to jail for having camouflage Converse sneakers on - you're just asking for trouble by wearing military gear.

But wait a minute now, didn't Hipolito say sometime at the beginning of his Presidency that Dominicans would be respected in any clothing they wore? I seem to remember him referring specifically to this....

(And an Italian friend of ours did succeed in buying a fireman's camouflage pants, but you would have thought it was some narcotic being transacted, so much secrecy and caution....)

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Jane J. said:
But wait a minute now, didn't Hipolito say sometime at the beginning of his Presidency that Dominicans would be respected in any clothing they wore? I seem to remember him referring specifically to this....
QUOTE]

He also said the power would never go off...

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
BDUs

They are actually called Battle Dress Uniforms"BDUs" and in the US it is fashionable amongst the youths. You are not allowed to wear the US ARMY or any other branch and you must remove rankings or you could be arrested for impersonating military personnel. The DR probably have similar laws.