Expatriate Survivor's Assistance Program

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
This is a suggestion only. It may be redundant to Official actions by various Embassies/Consulates yet maybe it'll help at some future time of need.

I will contact the American Embassy on Monday(if they'll answer the phone) and research what is necessary, in the form of notifications, paperwork required, etc. to properly effect a proper final interment for both Veterans and American Citizens wishing to be intered in the DR.

When I get all the information together I will arrange to post that information in the form of a "Sticky" with Robert here on DR1. Robert, can we do that, please?

In that manner, there will be no future confusion regarding such as this has been.

Additionally, it might just be of value to those who are left behind and who may not know the required procedures/requirements necessary to fulfill all honors due and to receive those amenities appropriate to the occasion.

In addition, perhaps it would be appropriate to set up a permanent committee amoung the membership to be notified upon the demise of a member (or qualifying acquaintenance) so that the ball can begin rolling in the area of whatever assistance is necessary to the occasion.

The committee consisting of volunteers, at least one in each of the provinces, which could coordinate efforts, provide immediate information/assistance, and notify the appropriate Embassy (US, Canadian, British, German, Etc.) of the deceased so that they may perform those statutory obligations appropriate.

Sounds like a lot, but I think it would take the pressure of the survivors and perform a worthwhile service to them. There are probably many in the later category that will not understand what must be done and who may not have been properly briefed by their spouses.

Those that wish to volunteer email me at billyadams@texasbill.com .

Be sure to include full name, address (both email and physical), and phone/fax numbers, Province to serve.

I'll get cracking on surveying what is necessary for American Citizens/Veterans from the American Embassy.

Can someone volunteer for getting the same from the other Embassies/Consulates?

Let me know by email.

After this thing is organized, we'll post it to a "Sticky" with Robert's approval.

And with everyone's approval, we'll call it "Expatriate Survivor's Assistance Program" just to make it sound good.

And that not being acceptable, make a suggestion.

Any comments, or am I whistling up the wind?

PS
I copied and pasted this from the Craig Pope thread, so answer here instead of there.
Texas Bill

Last edited:

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
I visualize the program as being a "General Assistance" type and as a "clearing house" for those problems involving health and welfare of both the Expat and his/her family.

Some limitations would necessarily be appropriate, but that would be worked out by the commitee in establishing the general guidelines of operation.

The myriad of suggestions submitted by DR1'ers as to services to be offered would have to be processed and eliminated/added to in order to keep things as simple as possible. I'm sure all of you see the logic of that, for without some form of limitation, this could get out of hand real fast.

Texas Bill

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
I absolutely agree with you, it would have to be controlled. DR1 is the place for general queries/help, but its a great idea for emergency contacts should expats need immediate help.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
TexasB,
Whereas I totally accept that such a database of members information would be useful, & any directives for those left behind as to how to handle any particular emmergency/demise, I feel it OUGHT to be pointed out that it is the responsibility of EACH of us Ex-Pats to REGISTER with our Embassies.

I do not know the procedure of Embassies from other countries but I DO know that the British Consulate here in Puerto Plata has a registration form for all British Ex-Pats to fill out. This SHOULD get them information passed on in the event of recommendations from the Home Office, Foreign Office & HM Government as they become available!! My experience up to 4 years ago showed that only a small figure of British Ex-Pats had in fact registered - I suspect the same to be the case for most other countries!!

Maybe this unfortunate situation will prompt most of us to ensure that we are registered with our Consulates/Embassies!! - Grahame.

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I was just thinking that I'll bet that Ken is the only American registered!

And his wife of course!
I think that the British Embassies/Counsels,actually care what happens to their citizens overseas!!! The American Embassies always seem like you are a pain-in-the-a$$ whenever and wherever I have gone for help! Especially here in Santo Domingo! They are behind 3 inches of bulletproof glass,not to protect them from "Terrorists",but to protect them from Pi$$ed Off Americans!!!CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC :bandit:

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Just an update.

I have tried all day to contact the SSAA, VA and Embassy in StoDgo with NO LUCK!
I have left messages, so maybe tomorrow(?????) we'll have a checklist to go by.

Texas Bill

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Nope!

I registered in January at the US Consulate when I also had extra pages put into my passport.

LP

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Still no response from any of the agencies I have called. Since they are manned mostly by Dominicans, I'm not really surprised, just angry that my government doesn't seem to care much about responding to a vital enquiry by one of it's citizens!!

I'll try the agencies in the States, along with a registered complaint about the lack of response received here in the DR!

Additionally, maybe an email to several Congressmen regarding same.

In the meantime, I'll keep trying here.

Texas Bill

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Texas Bill said:
Still no response from any of the agencies I have called. Since they are manned mostly by Dominicans, I'm not really surprised, just angry that my government doesn't seem to care much about responding to a vital enquiry by one of it's citizens!!

I'll try the agencies in the States, along with a registered complaint about the lack of response received here in the DR!

Additionally, maybe an email to several Congressmen regarding same.

In the meantime, I'll keep trying here.

Texas Bill

Hey there TB,
As I remember, Wednesday (normally mid mornings) was the day that Bill Kirkman went to his office in Puerto Plata so you may strike lucky tomorrow!! If you need the information from the British Consular office, chat with Mendez on 586 4244 & ask him to read the details to be filled out on the British Registration card!! Mendez regularly ges to Manzanillo during November through May for the Melon boats!! You MAY have met!! If you don't get the answers you require tomorrow, let me know & I'll call in & get a Registration Form. Actually, the American Consulate office is just down the hall, maybe Mendez could ask the girl there for one & read that to you over the 'phone. If not, I'll call in to both on Thursday morning & e-mail you the infor required on both forms!! - Grahame.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Texas Bill,
Now you understand the problems Joanne had (the thread which started all this) & my bet would be you are more persistent than she was able to be given the circumstances. Good for you in emailing your Congress people. After all, the U.S. government is probably deducting taxes from your pension, you deserve a service from them.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Lambada said:
Texas Bill,
Now you understand the problems Joanne had (the thread which started all this) & my bet would be you are more persistent than she was able to be given the circumstances. Good for you in emailing your Congress people. After all, the U.S. government is probably deducting taxes from your pension, you deserve a service from them.

I understod the problem she was having to begin with. I've been down that road before. That's one reason i stuck my oar into the stream. Having been the Personal Affairs Officer for Lowery AFB in the 60's I was reasonable familiar with what was required, but 30-35 years away from the system leaves quite a huge hole in certainty, doesn't it? Just didn't want to give out any outdated, erroneous information/advise.

Yeah! Over US$ 500.00/month. I get it back in other forms, however. VA Compensation, Soc. Sec. AND I now have two Gas Wells on property I have a 1/32 interest in. That's gonna EAT ME ALIVE. Death and Taxes, only sure thing in life!

I have been researching the SocSec Web Site, the Veteran's Admin Web Site, etc. nad have gleaned quite a bit of info from them.
As soon as I separate the wheat from the chaff, I'll publish the results and we can get this show on the road. Give me a week or so for those results. I want to be positive about the information presented.

BTW, most of the forms i have uncovered are in both English and Spanish.
Good for here, Huh??

Texas Bill

Last edited:

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
I had a great deal of information, ie. contact addresses, through the Netscape system. Then I got cut off and couldn't get back into that system. Seems like they went to a pay type access system and i got kicked out.

I'll go back through MS IE and glean the info again.

Sorry for the delay. I want to get this stuff organized and up ASAP.

Will post more when I have the info needed.

Texas Bill

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Robert--pls answer by email

to me at billyadams@texasbill.com

I have downloaded 5 documents from the Veterans Admin which deal with survivor benefits(?) and funeral(?) items. how do I get them into this board? have you isolated an area for such documents?

Reference the Social Security Administration, really not much is available except through reference to that organization. i can provide the links(I think) to those instructions, but little else unless I copy and paste those instructions to a document for ultimate posting and i don't know if you are amenable to that approach or not.

All in all, it would be more appropriate to post the links to the sometimes rather vague sets of instructions. I believe most are available in both Spanish and English (for both the VA and the SSA).

Your thoughts and instructions, please.

We still need the names nd contact points for the 'volunteers' in the different areas for those so inclined to do so.

Texas Bill

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
......i find this thread completely patronising and a total waste of time.
maybe, it has lost something in editing, but i doubt it.

when is someone going to 'unstick' this thread and let it die the death it should.

bochinche
the 'baddest' of the bad.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
bochinche said:
......i find this thread completely patronising and a total waste of time.
maybe, it has lost something in editing, but i doubt it.

when is someone going to 'unstick' this thread and let it die the death it should.

bochinche
the 'baddest' of the bad.

bochinche---

maybe the thread IS self-serving and completely patronizing, but would you think so if YOU were the Widow of an American Expat/Veteran, didn't understand the English language nor the SSA/VA systems that could possibly alleviate some of your financial suffering??? HUH??

This was started in an attempt to aid and assist people like that. now, if you have NO compassion for those people, the don't stick your oar into the whirlpool lest you get sucked under. If you don't give a damn about those whom this could possibly assist, then I really feel sorry for you and yours. Sounds like you're gonna leave your own family in a stinking financial mess and let tthem dig their own way out as best they can. But, then maybe someone will step in and give your widow the helping hand you didn't provide! I'm sure you will leave your offspring a real good ethical legacy as to familial responsibility.

Have a nice day???

Texas Bill

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
Texas Bill said:
........but would you think so if YOU were the Widow of an American Expat/Veteran, didn't understand the English language.......

besides the basic flaws in your post.....just why would the widow of an american expat/veteran, who didn't understand the english language be reading dr1...........and apart from the manner that you have managed to equate my post with the idea that i am going to leave my family in a financial stinking mess after i have bought the farm......just what has anything you have said in your last post got to do with a programme to assist expatriates to survive.

a lot of these 'stickies' are cluttering up the forums. why not put them all in a separate forum called?'stickies' or something - this one could be in a sub-section called 'useless stickies'........"huh??"

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
my only comment is that if you don't wish to participate in aiding the widows and orphans who are left behind by the untimely denise of their provider, then go away and let those of us who do wish to help get on with the project!

Do I make myself perfectly clear???

BTW, while it is in your perview to offer suggestions to the Management/Owners of DR1, don't you think your comments would be better if sent by PM to that organization??

Just a suggestion. I have no wish to battle with you over the matter; i have better things to do.

Texas Bill