Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Expatriate Survivor's Assistance Program

This is a suggestion only. It may be redundant to Official actions by various Embassies/Consulates yet maybe it'll help at some future time of need.

I will contact the American Embassy on Monday(if they'll answer the phone) and research what is necessary, in the form of notifications, paperwork required, etc. to properly effect a proper final interment for both Veterans and American Citizens wishing to be intered in the DR.

When I get all the information together I will arrange to post that information in the form of a "Sticky" with Robert here on DR1. Robert, can we do that, please?

In that manner, there will be no future confusion regarding such as this has been.

Additionally, it might just be of value to those who are left behind and who may not know the required procedures/requirements necessary to fulfill all honors due and to receive those amenities appropriate to the occasion.

In addition, perhaps it would be appropriate to set up a permanent committee amoung the membership to be notified upon the demise of a member (or qualifying acquaintenance) so that the ball can begin rolling in the area of whatever assistance is necessary to the occasion.

The committee consisting of volunteers, at least one in each of the provinces, which could coordinate efforts, provide immediate information/assistance, and notify the appropriate Embassy (US, Canadian, British, German, Etc.) of the deceased so that they may perform those statutory obligations appropriate.

Sounds like a lot, but I think it would take the pressure of the survivors and perform a worthwhile service to them. There are probably many in the later category that will not understand what must be done and who may not have been properly briefed by their spouses.

Those that wish to volunteer email me at [email protected] .

Be sure to include full name, address (both email and physical), and phone/fax numbers, Province to serve.

I'll get cracking on surveying what is necessary for American Citizens/Veterans from the American Embassy.

Can someone volunteer for getting the same from the other Embassies/Consulates?

Let me know by email.

After this thing is organized, we'll post it to a "Sticky" with Robert's approval.

And with everyone's approval, we'll call it "Expatriate Survivor's Assistance Program" just to make it sound good.

And that not being acceptable, make a suggestion.

Any comments, or am I whistling up the wind?

PS
    I copied and pasted this from the Craig Pope thread, so answer here instead of there.
    Texas Bill
    Last edited by Texas Bill; 07-18-2004 at 09:51 AM.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Billy this is a wonderful idea, would this program be solely an aid program for death, or also for help for expats in general,?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I visualize the program as being a "General Assistance" type and as a "clearing house" for those problems involving health and welfare of both the Expat and his/her family.

Some limitations would necessarily be appropriate, but that would be worked out by the commitee in establishing the general guidelines of operation.

The myriad of suggestions submitted by DR1'ers as to services to be offered would have to be processed and eliminated/added to in order to keep things as simple as possible. I'm sure all of you see the logic of that, for without some form of limitation, this could get out of hand real fast.

Texas Bill

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I absolutely agree with you, it would have to be controlled. DR1 is the place for general queries/help, but its a great idea for emergency contacts should expats need immediate help.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

TexasB,
    Whereas I totally accept that such a database of members information would be useful, & any directives for those left behind as to how to handle any particular emmergency/demise, I feel it OUGHT to be pointed out that it is the responsibility of EACH of us Ex-Pats to REGISTER with our Embassies.

I do not know the procedure of Embassies from other countries but I DO know that the British Consulate here in Puerto Plata has a registration form for all British Ex-Pats to fill out. This SHOULD get them information passed on in the event of recommendations from the Home Office, Foreign Office & HM Government as they become available!! My experience up to 4 years ago showed that only a small figure of British Ex-Pats had in fact registered - I suspect the same to be the case for most other countries!!

Maybe this unfortunate situation will prompt most of us to ensure that we are registered with our Consulates/Embassies!! - Grahame.
    Last edited by BushBaby; 07-18-2004 at 01:11 PM.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

BB, the American Embassy also encourages registration https://travelregistration.state.gov/ibrs/

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I was just thinking that I'll bet that Ken is the only American registered!

And his wife of course!
    I think that the British Embassies/Counsels,actually care what happens to their citizens overseas!!! The American Embassies always seem like you are a pain-in-the-a$$ whenever and wherever I have gone for help! Especially here in Santo Domingo! They are behind 3 inches of bulletproof glass,not to protect them from "Terrorists",but to protect them from Pi$$ed Off Americans!!!CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Just an update.

I have tried all day to contact the SSAA, VA and Embassy in StoDgo with NO LUCK!
    I have left messages, so maybe tomorrow(?????) we'll have a checklist to go by.

Texas Bill

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Nope!

I registered in January at the US Consulate when I also had extra pages put into my passport.

LP

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Still no response from any of the agencies I have called. Since they are manned mostly by Dominicans, I'm not really surprised, just angry that my government doesn't seem to care much about responding to a vital enquiry by one of it's citizens!!

I'll try the agencies in the States, along with a registered complaint about the lack of response received here in the DR!

Additionally, maybe an email to several Congressmen regarding same.

In the meantime, I'll keep trying here.

Texas Bill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast