Deportation from US

Dessie

Jul 8, 2004
Since this is an extremely touchy topic and one that most people do not want to answer based on its nature I hesitate in asking once again.

My fiance's brother got into a bit of trouble (carrying a larger amount of a controlled substance) at a younger age and was one of the "guinea pigs" for a new law that forced anyone who was not a naturalized citizen to accept voluntary deportation rather than forced mandatory deportation. Since this experience this law was not successful and is no longer in place. (I am a paralegal in NYC and have done so much research just to make sure of this). Since then (approx 1990) he has resided in the DR. He has an interest in returning to the US but is very hesitant since he has never heard of anyone that was deported, voluntarily or not, to the DR from the US being allowed back into the US with the option of returning with a possibility of obtaining citizenship.

Does anyone know of anyone who was deported to the DR from the US that successfully returned to the US with the option of being able to apply for citizenship?

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Was he convicted of possession for the purpose of trafficking or just deported? If so, regardless of the method of the deportation I'd think the US won't grant even a visitors visa since he's a convicted felon/drug trafficker. I would have about zero sympathy if they said no.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
ricktoronto said:
Was he convicted of possession for the purpose of trafficking or just deported? If so, regardless of the method of the deportation I'd think the US won't grant even a visitors visa since he's a convicted felon/drug trafficker. I would have about zero sympathy if they said no.
Not to mention that it's a question that needs to be addressed from the American side and not the DR.
I'm sure the DR is not trying to keep him here and if you have paralegal experience, you should know that it's an issue that has to be addressed by the American authorities.
Phone US immigration and ask them.
End of story.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
As the old saying goes, "forget aboutit".

Dessie said:
My fiance's brother got into a bit of trouble (carrying a larger amount of a controlled substance) at a younger age and was one of the "guinea pigs" for a new law that forced anyone who was not a naturalized citizen to accept voluntary deportation rather than forced mandatory deportation. Since this experience this law was not successful and is no longer in place. (I am a paralegal in NYC and have done so much research just to make sure of this). Since then (approx 1990) he has resided in the DR. He has an interest in returning to the US but is very hesitant since he has never heard of anyone that was deported, voluntarily or not, to the DR from the US being allowed back into the US with the option of returning with a possibility of obtaining citizenship.

Does anyone know of anyone who was deported to the DR from the US that successfully returned to the US with the option of being able to apply for citizenship?
There is no way in hell the he will be allowed back into the US, even if it was voluntarily. Now, one HAVE to do their time in prison and THEN they WILL deport you. A friend of mine in Boston went to see a politician because his brother was going to be deported because his brother was caught with drugs but, as it's always the case, he was the "not guilty one " or the "mule" of the "being at the wrong place at the wrong time", to see if the politician could do something and the politico told my friend: "friend, forget about it, now the US government says that they rather have him mess up his own country and not ours". IMHO, that law should have been imposed 40 years ago!!!!

Dessie

Jul 8, 2004
Well crap

miguel said:
There is no way in hell the he will be allowed back into the US, even if it was voluntarily. Now, one HAVE to do their time in prison and THEN they WILL deport you. A friend of mine in Boston went to see a politician because his brother was going to be deported because his brother was caught with drugs but, as it's always the case, he was the "not guilty one " or the "mule" of the "being at the wrong place at the wrong time", to see if the politician could do something and the politico told my friend: "friend, forget about it, now the US government says that they rather have him mess up his own country and not ours". IMHO, that law should have been imposed 40 years ago!!!!

So be it then. The man will have to accept the life he has tried to build back in the DR and leave the US alone. It's not exactly like a paradise all in of itself at times either so oh well. I keep trying to tell him that NYC isnt exactly all its cracked up to be anymore. I have 2 college degrees and was out of work for almost 8 months and he thinks he will be oh so successful if he comes back here. YAWN!! As long as he can still visit for a few weeks, etc. he should be happy with that. So now I just have to help (family-to-be duty) him and his/my family find out about him coming back for visits. This should be interesting. Thanks for the feedback though I appreciate it.

Dessie

Jul 8, 2004
Not to distribute

ricktoronto said:

He was caught with drugs but not enough to be accused of "intent to distribute" He did his measly six months in jail and all and when he was on parole the INS came around and decided to give him this BS about voluntary deportation with their word that in 7 years he would be allowed to return. Since then he hasnt even tried to return. However, I have read the court files and arrest records on him (paralegal in NYC I was able to review what I could) and what he said wasnt false he was in possession only. So the long and the short of it is that because he was caught at a time when they were "testing" this new idea, he got the shaft.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Listen carefully!!!!

Dessie said:
So be it then. The man will have to accept the life he has tried to build back in the DR and leave the US alone. It's not exactly like a paradise all in of itself at times either so oh well. I keep trying to tell him that NYC isnt exactly all its cracked up to be anymore. I have 2 college degrees and was out of work for almost 8 months and he thinks he will be oh so successful if he comes back here. YAWN!! As long as he can still visit for a few weeks, etc. he should be happy with that. So now I just have to help (family-to-be duty) him and his/my family find out about him coming back for visits. This should be interesting. Thanks for the feedback though I appreciate it.
Ok, if he was deported, he will NEVER, EVERRRRR be able to get back into the US legally, not for a week and not for 1 second. Maybe someone knows something that I don't know. My friend's brother lived in Boston for over 35 years and worked 30 of those years and paid his taxes and they did not cared about that, when he got caught, he went to prison and then deported, as simple as that. Now ask him this simple question: If he was a country and someone comes and try to mess up that country's youth, culture and population, doing something illegal, for a quick buck, would he let those people come back to the same country after they were deported. And please, spare us the "that was a long time ago and he has changed", why would the government take another chance?. I am not trying to be rude but he had his chance and he blew it by doing something that he was not supposed to be doing. By the way, I feel this way even if a relative of mine was caught doing the same thing. Go back to your country and mess it up, whishever that country may be.
By the way, now they are not asking too many questions, you get caught and they do not wait for you to go on parole, they go to the prison and grab you before you had the time to put a foot out of it and then they take you to the Immigration and Naturalization's jail to wait for a available plane out.

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
I hope he never go back to USA

It's a big shame to try to bring back that delincuent! he better stay where he is, why? because for people like him, is that the USA make a lot of restriction to Dominicans.

USA should not allow back that criminal. for what? I doubt he get a Visa to US or to other country after been convicted for Traficante.

Last edited:

Dessie

Jul 8, 2004
Did I ask for opinion or fact?

simpson Homer said:
It's a big shame to try to bring back that delincuent! he better stay where he is, why? because for people like him, is that the USA make a lot of restriction to Dominicans.

USA should not allow back that criminal. for what? I doubt he get a Visa to US or to other country after been convicted for Traficante.

So here is a great question for you....Did I ask for your opinion or did I ask for information? I don't believe I asked for your opinion on what you think of this person. I think I was asking if anyone had ever heard of anyone being able to return to the US. In addition, I can only say that I wish the people that are born in the united states were able to be sent elsewhere for thier b/s crimes. But thanks for your "opinion" and proof that I couldn't even ask a simple question without having to hear crap.

Dessie

Jul 8, 2004
I reiterate....Info or opinion

miguel said:
Ok, if he was deported, he will NEVER, EVERRRRR be able to get back into the US legally, not for a week and not for 1 second. Maybe someone knows something that I don't know. My friend's brother lived in Boston for over 35 years and worked 30 of those years and paid his taxes and they did not cared about that, when he got caught, he went to prison and then deported, as simple as that. Now ask him this simple question: If he was a country and someone comes and try to mess up that country's youth, culture and population, doing something illegal, for a quick buck, would he let those people come back to the same country after they were deported. And please, spare us the "that was a long time ago and he has changed", why would the government take another chance?. I am not trying to be rude but he had his chance and he blew it by doing something that he was not supposed to be doing. By the way, I feel this way even if a relative of mine was caught doing the same thing. Go back to your country and mess it up, whishever that country may be.
By the way, now they are not asking too many questions, you get caught and they do not wait for you to go on parole, they go to the prison and grab you before you had the time to put a foot out of it and then they take you to the Immigration and Naturalization's jail to wait for a available plane out.

I ask for information not opinion. I do agree that anyone that tries to DEAL drugs should be punished. Someone that smokes a little here and there should not be punished permanently.

By the way just so you know the punishment is more severe than many may think. This man lost his wife, all his family is in the US. HIs mother, brothers sisters and three children. All of which he missed while they grew up without him. So for once here is an even better question, if you were caught with a blunt in your pocket and arrested and then deported away from your family children wife and friends and left with no way of seeing them grow up would you still be so quick to judge? Its an interesting question if you think about it.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Great question?

Dessie said:
So here is a great question for you....Did I ask for your opinion or did I ask for information? I don't believe I asked for your opinion on what you think of this person. I think I was asking if anyone had ever heard of anyone being able to return to the US. In addition, I can only say that I wish the people that are born in the united states were able to be sent elsewhere for thier b/s crimes. But thanks for your "opinion" and proof that I couldn't even ask a simple question without having to hear crap.
It's not a great question, it's a lousy one.
Where did you get the idea that people weren't allowed to voice their opinions?
You may be used to controlling and dominating some minions around you, but here on this board you have a bunch of good people who take the time to give out info to any and all who ask and they certainly are entitled to their opinions, whether you asked for them or not.
Furthermore, your question was a USA question and not DR related and this board is about the DR and not about US immigration laws.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Dessie said:
I ask for information not opinion. I do agree that anyone that tries to DEAL drugs should be punished. Someone that smokes a little here and there should not be punished permanently.

By the way just so you know the punishment is more severe than many may think. This man lost his wife, all his family is in the US. HIs mother, brothers sisters and three children. All of which he missed while they grew up without him. So for once here is an even better question, if you were caught with a blunt in your pocket and arrested and then deported away from your family children wife and friends and left with no way of seeing them grow up would you still be so quick to judge? Its an interesting question if you think about it.
If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
You Are Kidding Right?

Dessie said:
YAWN!! As long as he can still visit for a few weeks, etc. he should be happy with that.

0% chance of a visitor's visa for a drug trafficking deportee you know.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Dessie,
What you ASK for & what you GET by coming on to a public forum are two entirely different things, but if you have the brains to be a para-legal, then you have the brains to know that! Complaining about what you got is unlikely to elicit helpful responses in the future.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Dessie said:

Thought about it.
He committed a crime. He was handed a punishment. Whats the problem?

When I lived in the D.R. I accepted the fact that certain crimes would be treated differently by the Dominican Authorities than in the U.S. I governed my actions accordingly. So should have you friend.
You spout of about the treatment of this guy by US Authorities but do you have any clue how the Dominican Authorities treat a US citizen for possesion of a controlled substance? Believe me you friend got the better treatment.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Ok!!

Dessie said:

Honey, people can not have it both ways, how come he was not thinking about his wife, all his family, his mother, brothers, sisters and children when he started doing something that he was full aware that was illegal?. You can defend all you want and maybe he is now the nicest man alive, but that does not erase that he did something wrong and when someone does something wrong, you have to pay for it. Where were the "love" for his family when he was doing it?. By the way, NOBODY is going to be deported for just a blunt. You said that he did 6 months, so, sorry, it was much more than just a blunt. Anyways, NO, he will not set foot in the US again, ever, at least not legally.

By the way, he should pray to God every single day that he was caught in the good ol' US of A and not in the DR!!.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Amen to that!

He could have served.......no let me take that back.....he could have spent years in jail, just waiting for a trial, and his "oh so beloved family" would have to spend tens of thousands of dollars to get his much-enlarged a$$ out of jail.

His family will have to be content to come and visit him here, and pray to the Almighty God above that he is never caught with his "recreationsal stuff" here..

Sorry Dessie, he will not get to the US or most any other place, legally.

HB :(

Who, being a curmudgeon, would be so bold as to remind you that the apple never falls far from the tree and that birds of a feather flock to gether and in Spanish: "D?me con quien andas y te dir? que eres" Frankly, I'd check out your fianc? a little more closely as an officer of the court....

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
No Way!!

First off, if he served 6 months in jail, it was probably a plea deal to a lesser FELONY Drug possession charge, ie. crack, heroine, cocaine or a lot of weed.

Since the US is digitally fingerprinting & photographing ALL!! non-US individuals, he will NEVER pass Good Ole US CUSTOMS.

The only way he'll be able to get in to the US is if he swims over to PR "YOLA PASSAGE", sorry but that's the reality. The US notified everybody thru the TV and Newspapers about the pending law.

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
you are silly

your problem is that you don't want to hear the true!

I know it's bothers you to read the true, all this answers and opinion are all for you andif you are smart enough thn you would take a final decitition about a solution for your "Friend" and he is lucky that the DR acepted him back.

What do you want to read? That yes he is going to get a second chance because what hewas doing was fair because he was dealing chickens.

Why support that delincuent, he is not even going to get a visa from states for the reason that they don't trust him and they would not.

the answer that you want to hear is in the US consulate why don't you go there and ask?

Don't worried they are nt going to wonder what's going on and why you want to help him they will believe every single word you say because his is "El Santo"

Dessie said:

Dessie

Jul 8, 2004
Been there done that!

simpson Homer said:
your problem is that you don't want to hear the true!

I know it's bothers you to read the true, all this answers and opinion are all for you andif you are smart enough thn you would take a final decitition about a solution for your "Friend" and he is lucky that the DR acepted him back.

What do you want to read? That yes he is going to get a second chance because what hewas doing was fair because he was dealing chickens.

Why support that delincuent, he is not even going to get a visa from states for the reason that they don't trust him and they would not.

the answer that you want to hear is in the US consulate why don't you go there and ask?

Don't worried they are nt going to wonder what's going on and why you want to help him they will believe every single word you say because his is "El Santo"

THEY GIVE HIM VISITOR VISAS. It is the fact that he wanted to return and be eligible to be a US Citizen. Yeah tell me about it that the fact that they even do that is a miracle, we all know that already.

I asked because I wanted to be spoken to truthfully by people about the topic of deportation, not about their opinions on whether the person is good or bad.

As for what Hillbilly said.....<sigh> every family has an outcast when they have about 7+ kids, mine included, his brother is the outcast, we all still wonder what happened to make him make these mistakes in his life. People do stupid things and in his case it was really bad and he lost a lot.

If I listened to what you said about the apple not falling far from the tree then I would be more like my own brother who did something similar to that of my fiance's brother and has spent most of his life in and out of jails.

Oh and please do go and attack me on this one, I don't speak to nor do I defend my brother, he is , to be quite blunt, A MORON. My other siblings and I are responsible, respectable adults who have never gotten into any legal jams in our lives not even traffic tickets.

So with that being said, before the generalization of family comes into play, think about it this way, if your brother (even if you don't have one, pretend you do) was a troubled teen who constantly got into huge amounts of trouble for theft and drug use, etc. would you be very happy if everyone classified you in the same category as him?

So all in all the question was one simple thing, has anyone ever HEARD of a return to the US after deportation?
NOT do you think he should be allowed to return.
NOT do you think my finace's brother is a bad guy.
So before anyone comes and gives me anymore opinionated answers please take into consideration this one thing...

I am a mature, educated woman who is fully aware of the laws, however, deportation procedures are NOT easy to get clear information on. It is taboo and NO ONE wants to answer these questions. Not in the US government, not in legal cricles or anywhere else. If I was getting this answer from the sources of Law, then I would never have had to resort to all of you for this information.

So to be honest I am exhausted from this plight and all I am getting is a bunch of malarky about the wrong doings and deliquency of a person then I regret ever asking this question of any of you.

Thanks for your accusations and ill behaving responses to this rather touchy and hesitantly asked question. After reading many of the other posted replies to other topics I really should have known better.

Should I start asking whether this is the way I will be treated when I move to the DR with my soon to be husband?

Last edited: