One Ratty Government...

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
I am time and time again embarassed by the fact that I am living here. The government cannot pay their electric bill but they can buy 4 unnecessary helicopters for 7x million usds. It is so embarassing when friends visit and I have to explain why the power is down for so long. People here live in absolute squalor and the gov. sees fit to spend money on toys. They built a library here in Santiago and put zero books in it. Building the library put money in their pockets but books would not make sense...no one makes money by buying books from outside the country. That is a horrible disgrace.
These are the lowest of low people that I have ever known. Always just trying to get theirs and everyone else can go to hell. People can die on the streets from lack of healthcare and these bozos. Dammit, why are these people so screwed up.

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I am ashamed to cal myself Dominican right now. The DR politicians are the lowest form of bottom-feeding de-evolving baboons.

This particular purchase also points out the Politicians of ALL countries should all be hung by their private parts. These Helicopters were financed by the USA government. The typical transaction requires the DR to put up approx 10% of the purchase price.

In order to get this financing, the DR has to make certain promises. These promises can come in the form of:

1) DR Land
2) Special Contracts to USA companies
3) Promise to levy taxes in order to pay back the US government.
3) anything else the DR can give up.

For those of you from the USA, call your Congressmen and ask them why your US$ tax dollars are being used to help propagate poverty in the DR. Also ask your Congressman why you US$ tax dollars are lent to a fraudulent government in the DR that is incapable of paying it back......unless its off the back of the poor and middle class.

quejeyoke

Jun 20, 2004
that's the un-explainable gazeellion dollar question! and the reason that the DR will never come out of the s*it hole as long as there are dominican politicians at the helm. But the funny thing is that if you search the helicopters the GOV bought, you'll see they're not even nice, just a dozen of "haircut and lollypop" choppers. The UH12 looks like the *MASH* helicopter from the 70's tv series. What General picked that one!??....I feel safer already... :rolleyes:

Apr 26, 2002
To add to what Mondongo said, it's also about bribes and "commissions" that get paid to "agents" on all of these deals. There are no other winners on the Dominican side.

If you are an American, may your grandchildren forgive you for not understanding and condemning this ongoing rape and exploitation of Latin America.

AlaninDR

Mr. Chunky Skin
Dec 17, 2002
pardon my ignorance please, but exactly what model of helicopter did DR buy? The UH12 is much different than a UH1. Were they ex-military or always civilian?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I have to agree with the feeling expressed here

This deal smells a lot but it got through. I hope the "dealer" enjoys his money.

I understand, from the article in DR1 News, that they were a UH-1 and a UH-58 and 2 Schwizers (?). Four old model choppers for 72 million? I don't think so!

HB

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
mondongo said:
I am ashamed to cal myself Dominican right now. The DR politicians are the lowest form of bottom-feeding de-evolving baboons.

This particular purchase also points out the Politicians of ALL countries should all be hung by their private parts. These Helicopters were financed by the USA government. The typical transaction requires the DR to put up approx 10% of the purchase price.

In order to get this financing, the DR has to make certain promises. These promises can come in the form of:

1) DR Land
2) Special Contracts to USA companies
3) Promise to levy taxes in order to pay back the US government.
3) anything else the DR can give up.

For those of you from the USA, call your Congressmen and ask them why your US$ tax dollars are being used to help propagate poverty in the DR. Also ask your Congressman why you US$ tax dollars are lent to a fraudulent government in the DR that is incapable of paying it back......unless its off the back of the poor and middle class.
And don't forget to tell them that you got this idea from Mondongo. Of course it is all the fault of the US for helping out the legally elected government of the DR.

If and I say if, Dominicans would ever NOT blame the "Otherguy" or even blame the government that THEY elect, that would be start of civilization in this country.

How quick these people are to BLAME the US for THEIR Government that THEY elect or even re-elect, yet wont even prosecute these high quality people THEY originally put in office that have stolen their childrens future.

This kind of thing goes on my list of things in the DR I don't like and comes probably before the Smokey/Noisey Motorconchos, the dirt they leave on THEIR OWN beach when they leave it along with the crap they just throw out of their windows while driving and then driving habits.

Damn I love this country for all its problems and heaven help the rest of the
Caribbean if they ever become civilized here. What an economic powerhouse this place would be, but then those of us with our grand dollar incomes wouldn't be able to afford to live here like Brittish Royalty.

Scott

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Porfio_Rubirosa said:
To add to what Mondongo said, it's also about bribes and "commissions" that get paid to "agents" on all of these deals. There are no other winners on the Dominican side.

If you are an American, may your grandchildren forgive you for not understanding and condemning this ongoing rape and exploitation of Latin America.
I love your "Not my problem it was the Odderguy" Attitude.

Keep your head in the sand or up your A$$ and don't ever get it out to smell the fresh air.

I am convinced that this country won't ever become civilized with these attitudes. Too bad for Dominicans and good for those of us with a Dollar income. We will live grand for less because of this.

I was leaving Rockys yesterday after breakfast and got in my car to go home. Not only was there a car going the wrong way down a one way street but there was a car passing that car which btw was a police car:) So often I just sit in my car laughing at how these people think and live. Once Chester4 comes over to my car to ask me what I was laughing at.

Scott

Yeah, I certainly hope my grandchildren forgive me for living like this! LOL

gmiller261

Dec 29, 2002
I agree with Scott

He has expressed this view in several other threads and now I am a convert.

Dominicans must take responsibility for their actions.

Where are the Dominicans that trashed your banking system?

Where are the Dominicans that trashed your power system?

Where are the Dominicans that trashed your healthcare system?

The answer to the above questions are; 'free' and still 'stealing'.

Oh and stop throwing trash out the window of your car, it actually makes me ill.

Even Martha Stewart got 6 months, maybe not Rahway prison, but it will still drive her nuts. And she will not be running her company.

Gary

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
gmiller261 said:
He has expressed this view in several other threads and now I am a convert.

Dominicans must take responsibility for their actions.

Where are the Dominicans that trashed your banking system?

Where are the Dominicans that trashed your power system?

Where are the Dominicans that trashed your healthcare system?

The answer to the above questions are; 'free' and still 'stealing'.

Oh and stop throwing trash out the window of your car, it actually makes me ill.

Even Martha Stewart got 6 months, maybe not Rahway prison, but it will still drive her nuts. And she will not be running her company.

Gary
Well I am stunned. Thanks.

Scott

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
I am....

I am putting together a plan where I will take my family out of this country if the situation does not change soon. I will try and give it 6 months. If nothing changes then I am gone. I have tried to accept this country for what it is and it only gets worse and I get more angry. The power situation must improve or I am gone. I am currently in the USA and I just feel so much better being here. I called my wife tonight and she tells me that BanReservas will not allow her access to our funds. Can you believe that...they are trying to hold up her ability to withdraw dollars so they can use those dollars as long as possible to make a few more pesos. How trashy. What filthy people.

Interesting, I am reading a book by James Michener...the name of the book is Carribean. There is a passage in the book where he is talking about Spanish culture...allow me to quote..."I see the men of Spain who come to these islands repeating in perpetuity the behavior of Colon and Pimentel-steal, abuse the natives, place relatives on the Kings payroll, think always of self and family, never of the general wealth. It's a bad precedent we've established here in Espanola." There is a chapter devoted to this island we try to live on and the author titles it.....The Tortured Land. This book is a must read for anyone wanting a good understanding of the culture.

Seachange

Jan 13, 2004
www.Banker-Trust.com
"The Tortured Land" ... a curse and a blessing

Snuffy said:
Interesting, I am reading a book by James Michener...the name of the book is Carribean. There is a passage in the book where he is talking about Spanish culture...allow me to quote..."I see the men of Spain who come to these islands repeating in perpetuity the behavior of Colon and Pimentel-steal, abuse the natives, place relatives on the Kings payroll, think always of self and family, never of the general wealth. It's a bad precedent we've established here in Espanola." There is a chapter devoted to this island we try to live on and the author titles it.....The Tortured Land. This book is a must read for anyone wanting a good understanding of the culture.

Good advice.

Too busy complaining about the DR, many foreign folk forget (or don't realize) that ultimately the reason they're here is because of the graft and corruption.

What allows for ... a full time maid and housekeeper at $80/month ... a gardner for $60/month .... a home with both a mountain and ocean view for under $100K .... and for a man (or woman) some of the most gorgeous women (or men) in the world at your beck and call willing to do anything to please an old crusty middle-aged, overweight, balding white guy (or gal) from North America or Europe ... is the shade of culture outlined above.

Put another way, if there was no corruption and locals enjoyed a living wage, good health care, adequate social services, low or no inflation, low energy costs, dependable products and services and visa free travel ... most foreigners here now couldn't afford to be. That $80 maid would cost $1500/month ... that $60 gardner would cost $1000/month ... that $100K mountain and ocean view home would cost $750K and that lovely young person paid for their companionship would not cost 1000 pesos a night but more like $500 U.S.

Curse the island but bless it too. :smoke:

gmiller261

Dec 29, 2002
This guy is a shameless moron.

?The country has to be above the individual interests.?

How could he say that without choking? He can't know what that really means. Can anyone translate that in Dominican?

Very good point Seachange, but can't we have electricity at least?

Gary