Music, Food & the language

I_Love_Baseball

Jul 7, 2004
Hi everyone!

I'm considering this a general question instead of travel-related, as the travel part is not definite yet. We HOPE to go to the DR in February. I would like to become aquainted with the food and music before we go. Can anyone recommend any good CD's, and some recipes?? Also, how much Spanish will we need to know there?? My daughter will be taking Spanish in school this year, but I don't know how far she will get in 4-5 months. THANKS!!

Pam

P.S. We are in the Boston, MA area - if we need special ingredients, what is the best place to get them??

thanks again!

:classic:

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Music

I_Love_Baseball said:
Hi everyone!

I'm considering this a general question instead of travel-related, as the travel part is not definite yet. We HOPE to go to the DR in February. I would like to become aquainted with the food and music before we go. Can anyone recommend any good CD's, and some recipes?? Also, how much Spanish will we need to know there?? My daughter will be taking Spanish in school this year, but I don't know how far she will get in 4-5 months. THANKS!!

Pam

P.S. We are in the Boston, MA area - if we need special ingredients, what is the best place to get them??

thanks again!

:classic:
Music- Bachatahits 2002, 2003, 2004 (J&N Records)
Merenguehits 2002, 2003, 2004 (J&N Records)
All these cds are compilations with all the major artists and you will need to learn as much espanol as you can. If you are not staying at a resort, it will be hard to find people who speak the Queens Language

quejeyoke

Jun 20, 2004
What is a pariguayo?

Pariguayo is the dominican translation of the word Partywatchers, these were dudes that from the american invation on stood around at parties without drinking or partying like everyone else to act as the peace keepers of the party. Just watching everyone having fun. Pariguayando is a pariguayo at work.

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
RE: "special ingredients"

Hell no! There is a very large Dominican population in Boston, in fact there are 23 people just at the Dominican Consulate, only one of whom is officially recognized by the State Department, but that is a different topic.

Forty years ago you would have had to get on the train to NYC to get what you needed but now the local groceries have just about everything.

For cooking oil use peanut oil, it is by far the best.

Plantains are the one food that can be eaten three times a day with no regrets and it never spoils. It is eaten green, sorta ripe and very very ripe. All are wonderful!.

Since Chiri took what I was going to say, all I can add is go there and have fun. If you need help on anything just PM either of the two "aunts" that run dominicancooking.com or me, who is a better cook than either of them!! HEHEHE :D:D:D

As for music, just turn on the radio to the local latin station. That will help you learn the language. Your daughter will pick it up so fast!!

HB

PS I can fax you how to peel a green plantain!